2015 ppl 2.6 rules

Believe it.

26_zps601a2bcf.jpg

Last edited:
I know harts didn't want to sell a current hx60 to a local puller mid season because they will have a different model available to the masses in 2015...

My question, " Is the class actually growing under the current rules at a National level. And if they remain as the rules will it continue to grow?"

The biggest reason for local guys to not pull under a ppl set of 2.6 rules seems to be the cost of the turbos. That is at least the biggest reason I hear. In our area there is a plethora of opportunities to pull under these rules and the minimum purse for a single night is $1500 for the class. That being said we still don't see the numbers we need. If the rules stay the same and we see the mid frame chargers enter the class, I have a hard time thinking we will get more trucks. The cost of the single part is too much.

Yes you can compete without the best turbo. I understand that. Also realize that the people who come to watch our events want a good show and good competition. I would bet 80 - 90 % have no idea what the class is other than diesel trucks. One or two trucks 20-40 ft ahead of everyone else isn't always what the crowd wants to see. Making a turbo rule that brings the cost to a manageable level will bring more pullers and thus more events. Without that it doesn't matter what our class rules say?

smh....this is whats gonna push guys like myself out of the sport yes I understand open rears don't make a truck pull better but that's just letting the guys who work for own a shop or have unlimited budgets up the hp and like someone said you're gonna continue to see the same 5 trucks win. the fans want to see variety and before someone says well the transfer cases cant take it or yada yada look at tim jacksons old truck open rear oem trans and case I never saw him have an issue

smh....this is whats gonna push guys like myself out of the sport yes I understand open rears don't make a truck pull better but that's just letting the guys who work for own a shop or have unlimited budgets up the hp and like someone said you're gonna continue to see the same 5 trucks win. the fans want to see variety and before someone says well the transfer cases cant take it or yada yada look at tim jacksons old truck open rear oem trans and case I never saw him have an issue

Yeah, and Tim Jackson beat a 4.1 ODL "Running in the Red" more than once I believe, lol... If I remember correctly he was twisting pinions off, not even having gear problems, just literally "shearing" the pinon in half.

If I remember correctly he was twisting pinions off, not even having gear problems, just literally "shearing" the pinon in half.

We have done this in our 2.6 truck. Then sends the ring gear through the case, junking the entire housing. At least the axles were salvageable!

Why would allowing an open rear not continue to let the numbers grow? It doesn't prevent anyone from hooking if they change nothing from last year. Big rears can be built for the same money as an equivalent 80 or AAM to hold up, just don't call a big name shop. 4.63 is the fastest gear for a f106 I believe. SQHD is 3.X to 8.X.

The reason the numbers will not grow is because the people at the lower end of the class will decide it is easier to drop down to the 2.5 class than it is to keep up with the top of the class. We had a strong pulling class around here until it went open driveline. The argument was the same, “You don’t have to change to be within the rules, and you can still run stock driveline if you want”. People gave up and went to multiple different 2.6 classes that popped up. Now I expect the same thing to happen in the 2.6 class where a few are winning and others would rather drop to 2.5 than run in the back of the pack in 2.6. Then the people in the 2.5 class will be discouraged because they are competing against dedicated pulling trucks…..

To keep the costs inline there should be a box stock turbo class, unlimited single class, and the multiple turbo class. I doubt that will happen though because there is a lot of money involved with the current turbo manufactures and the people who already spent the money won’t want it to change.

My proposal;

3.0" smoothbore - requires a wheel/cover change, easiest/cheapest option to control current power levels and simplify tech.

7800lbs weight - lower to match 2.5", this should lessen driveline issues to some degree.

24" hitch height - lower to match 2.5", again lessening driveline issues, and hopefully with the combination make a 1-ton rear more reliable.

Open rear - For those that feel this is required, I see no reason they could not be allowed(considering some already have them).

Last edited:
The reason the numbers will not grow is because the people at the lower end of the class will decide it is easier to drop down to the 2.5 class than it is to keep up with the top of the class. We had a strong pulling class around here until it went open driveline. The argument was the same, “You don’t have to change to be within the rules, and you can still run stock driveline if you want”. People gave up and went to multiple different 2.6 classes that popped up. Now I expect the same thing to happen in the 2.6 class where a few are winning and others would rather drop to 2.5 than run in the back of the pack in 2.6. Then the people in the 2.5 class will be discouraged because they are competing against dedicated pulling trucks…..

To keep the costs inline there should be a box stock turbo class, unlimited single class, and the multiple turbo class. I doubt that will happen though because there is a lot of money involved with the current turbo manufactures and the people who already spent the money won’t want it to change.

Yeah, the same people who couldn't finish in the top of 3.0, dropped to 2.6 and still can't cut it, so they'll drop back a class again... No matter what class, club or rules they run they won't be competitive because they wanna pull with cheaper parts, no matter how you change the rules those people will come and go.

Everyone blamed open Driveline for killing our local stuff 2 years ago and voted to step backwards to 2.6, it worked for a year, then numbers were right back down because everyone found out a 2.6 truck built right, is not ANY cheaper than a 3.0 truck... LMAO!!!

My proposal;

3.0" smoothbore - requires a wheel/cover change, easiest/cheapest option to control current power levels and simplify tech.

7800lbs weight - lower to match 2.5", this should lessen driveline issues to some degree.

24" hitch height - lower to match 2.5", again lessening driveline issues, and hopefully with the combination make a 1-ton rear more reliable.

Open rear - For those that feel this is required, I see no reason they could not be allowed(considering some already have them).

Perhaps no duals would also keep things together.

Perhaps no duals would also keep things together.

I agree, but it will never happen.

I agree also im sure if dropped duals that stop a lot of breakage. Also to people that think wouldn't have to change if they allowed open rear is blind! What would be the first thing a person would do if allowed open rear axles? Is go out buy the beefiest tires they want like the 3.0s do and then they will run even lower air pressure to get the truck more bite. So now that truck is pulling even further then everyone.

What I heard.

7800 lbs
No turbo or driveline change
Some clarification on the use of biodiesel.