2016 3.0 turbo rule changes

I'm All for cut tire's, Looks sell, and if it sells, it fills the seats, if it fills the seats, it brings the cameras, if it brings the cameras more sponsorship's money. More money everybody wins..

I'm All for cut tire's, Looks sell, and if it sells, it fills the seats, if it fills the seats, it brings the cameras, if it brings the cameras more sponsorship's money. More money everybody wins..

Cmon Todd there's no money in truck pulling. Lol

Nobody said you have to buy new bar tires. People sale used ones all the time. I have ran street tires for years and bar tires. I would much rather run bar tires.

None of this may happen in ppl. I do know the 3.0 class will get a lot more attention in ppl with bar tires. Sponsors like the looks of a pulling truck over a street truck.

Has anyone thought of the cost to take a current 3.0 truck and change it to a proposed smooth bore 3.0 class. Current 3.0 guys are really getting the short end of the stick here. Buy a new cover/wheel for current turbo and install cut wheels/tires. Or replace pump, head, complete turbo, and reinstall all the body work that's has been cut off. But at the same time if the did start a 4.1/cut tires class I hope they all jump up every chance they get and put it to the ss truck guys.

Has anyone thought of the cost to take a current 3.0 truck and change it to a proposed smooth bore 3.0 class. Current 3.0 guys are really getting the short end of the stick here. Buy a new cover/wheel for current turbo and install cut wheels/tires. Or replace pump, head, complete turbo, and reinstall all the body work that's has been cut off. But at the same time if the did start a 4.1/cut tires class I hope they all jump up every chance they get and put it to the ss truck guys.

That option is crossing our minds of our local class. But it seems so much easier to just run a bastard class nobody else has and forget about fooling with ppl or itpa. (Which the second parts is more than likely what will happen)

Just a quick note about the cut tires. The cut tires are way easier on driveline than DOT's. Also you can pick up a set of very slightly used cuts with fresh edges from $300 to $800 a set. I have ran the same set all year in Super Stock. it costs me $300 a year to have them sharpened. I ran DOT's and Cuts for years with a 3.9 single. the cuts were way easier on the Drive line. Calvin is still running his dana 60 with cuts. I have changed more ring and pinions on the 3.0 trucks than Calvins. Not trying to hijack the 3.0 post, just giving a little insight to the tire discussion.

Last edited:
Not that it really matters in the ppl discussion but OTTPA (Outlaw pulling) will be allowing open drive line in the 2.6 class for 2016.

http://outlawpulling.com/ottpa-rule-change-for-2016/

When they say odl has no distinct advanced, they ought to say odl trucks have to run a at tire. Bfg, general at2, ect. And see how many people ***** about that. That will tell you if there is a "advantage" or not.

Combining them

Where did you read this? I know Doug had talked about possibly having a 3.0 in the future but I never heard anything else about it. I'm curious what limitations they will put in place to run them together? I.E. lower hitch for 3.0 trucks?

I don't believe they are combining anything. They never had a 3.0 class in the first place. The class will just be a open driveline dot tire class. I would be more interested about the turbo situation. Will their diesel truck class keep current turbo rules or go to a specific turbo like the rest of their classes.

I don't believe they are combining anything. They never had a 3.0 class in the first place. The class will just be a open driveline dot tire class. I would be more interested about the turbo situation. Will their diesel truck class keep current turbo rules or go to a specific turbo like the rest of their classes.

Correct. There has never been a 3.0 class with Outlaws. The 2.6 class was introduced as a single tire stock driveline truck with hopes of adding a dual rear wheel ODL 3.0 class in the future.
After 2 years the numbers didn't increase and the pullers who stayed at home kept saying they wouldn't pull singles, go figure. So in 2015 duals were allowed to try and increase participation by those who chose not to pull a tire the previous two seasons. Numbers, power and breakage were up in 2015. I think only one out of 6 trucks made a clean pass in KC at the indoor. You could see the writing on the wall early.
I have not called or talked to Doug personally but another person called and told me that the turbo rule is not expected to change. That being said the meeting is in November and there are some other rules that need cleaned up. I do know pullers will have to run Outlaw fuel in 2016.

Last edited:
I talked to Doug about a month ago. At that time, he didn't express any interest on changing turbo rules. His concern after this summer was to improve the reliability of the trucks, so they have trucks finishing a 3 or 4 day sweep. Once driveline issues are addressed, he hopes truck count will improve. After that happens, he mentioned looking into a class spec turbo down the road.