2016 3.0 turbo rule changes

So what happens when 2.6 trucks go ODL and then start cracking blocks? People are gonna choose a gear that will let the truck lug down in the rpm range and it gonna start happening, then what, someone gonna propose billet blocks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of blocks have already been cracked in the 2.6 class. A good majority of the top running Cummins 2.6 trucks are deckplated/sleeved already

Like I've said before, you dont need to have a ODL setup to run in the class but you will to compete. With big rear ends you could throw the most aggressive tires you can find and air them down to nothing and win on traction that a 1ton driveline couldn't handle. My opinion is the gap is getting too large to have an incentive for a 2.5/work stock Truck to jump up. We ran into that in the north east with a 4 wheel mod class and their feeder class called super stock. They voted in 31" pulling tires, sumps, aluminum heads, upright and now the only diffrence is 150 cubes in the motor and the driveline and there hasn't been a new mod truck in a LONG time because the trucks within the class kept closing the gap between the two classes but making their class further and further from the class below and no one is jumping up to the super stock class also and it's killing all of the classes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Lots of blocks have already been cracked in the 2.6 class. A good majority of the top running Cummins 2.6 trucks are deckplated/sleeved already

I understand most top 2.6 truck are sleeved/deckplated, but what about the other people that aren't? How much is it gonna cost the average person to make these drive line, turbo and motor changes? I think they're just taking it too far and are gonna kill the class in the long run

I think if you look at PPL they really don't consider the 2.6 that much, and maybe it comes from the promoters. As 3.0 are the ones who are part of the silver series and most promoters are happy with a consistent showing of 10 competitors per class.

Last edited:
So 2.6 will be 3.0 trucks with smaller turbo. ... Why not jump to 3.0 do away with 2.6 install a 2.5 class

I think most people are forgetting PPL stands for Pro Pulling League, not amatuer pulling league, or average guy pulling league, or I can only afford this much pulling league. The trucks that run PPL on a cosistent basis have the funds, the means, and the crew to compete week after week.

Sure, I go down and compete at Scheid. Do I expect to win? No. I'm not at the level of these guys and if they allow ODL and I can only afford a stock driveline and non-deck plated motor then that's what I will run.

The same goes with NTPA. I don't know of many vehicles that participate in NTPA that aren't around $100k to build minimum.

As many have said, your local clubs don't have to follow the PPL rules. Allow PPL to do what's best for their members and their league. If you're a member then vote accordingly. If you're not a member then you have nothing complain about.

I think most people are forgetting PPL stands for Pro Pulling League, not amatuer pulling league, or average guy pulling league, or I can only afford this much pulling league. The trucks that run PPL on a cosistent basis have the funds, the means, and the crew to compete week after week.

Sure, I go down and compete at Scheid. Do I expect to win? No. I'm not at the level of these guys and if they allow ODL and I can only afford a stock driveline and non-deck plated motor then that's what I will run.

The same goes with NTPA. I don't know of many vehicles that participate in NTPA that aren't around $100k to build minimum.

As many have said, your local clubs don't have to follow the PPL rules. Allow PPL to do what's best for their members and their league. If you're a member then vote accordingly. If you're not a member then you have nothing complain about.

this ^, i was planning on running PPL, but now it is cotpc for me since there rules are locked until 2017, trying to compete with top PPL trucks or heck even the cotpc trucks have some serious runners around here. I wana go out and have fun like i used to years ago, and i do not want to put the stress on myself. I say run what class you know you can and pull where and when you can and have fun.

When all of the local organizations decided to just follow PPL rules is when this all went down hill. PPL is the top of the line stuff. They can do what they want because they are still selling the classes, good for them.

All of the local orgs that followed along are the ones that made the mistake IMHO. These are the places that will see trucks drop off if they keep following PPL rules, not PPL.

I agree with you on this. But even on a local level you have to run against those same guys. If you want a chance at winning fair money you still have to build to play with the big boys. It's playing hell on local numbers. It doesn't just effect ppl. Local organizations from Illinois want numbers. So they want to allow ppl trucks. And I don't blame ppl members for wanting to hook but they take people's money on the local levels too. If they want to do what's best for them and have us non ppl guys be quiet on the rules issues, then maybe it's time to separate the men from the boys when it comes to local hooks. Or make a rule to help equal the playing field. Say non ppl trucks can run 2.6 bushing chargers and the ppl stay with protrusion cause we all know they are the same chargers with less money invested in them.

I understand most top 2.6 truck are sleeved/deckplated, but what about the other people that aren't? How much is it gonna cost the average person to make these drive line, turbo and motor changes? I think they're just taking it too far and are gonna kill the class in the long run

ODL is cheaper in the long run. It would have been cheaper for me if I just started out with ODL. It can be done fairly cheap too. Rear axles don't cost that much. They get expensive when you want to lighten them up. Drop box and reverser are around $4400 from profab. If you want the best profab 1ton nv4500 with 3 forward gears it costs $3800 (you have to supply the trans). Big stock rear axles range from $600-1500. Sheet metal Sqhd can be up around $6000.

If you aren't making enough power or traction to need ODL then don't buy it. ODL doent give any pulling advantage in my mind except for longevity. If anything I would think more rotating weight = less hp. Breaking ring and pinions every 3-5 hooks gets old. Not to mention no one wants to break the ring gear during a pull and completely destroy their engine when the rpms go to the moon.

Turbos are different story. They need to be brought under control.I would like to see smooth bore options.

Last edited:
Open DL 2.6 every truck will have Nitto Mud grapplers

Stock DL 2.6 trucks will have BFG All terrains because the driveline wont handle the aggressive Mud tire. ODL will ad feet to the trucks by way of the tires your able to run

Put the trucks in the same class and there will be a pretty good distance between the 2. Im undecided how I feel on the subject but it does have a distinct advantage over the stock DL trucks and not just from a breaking stand point

I agree with you on this. But even on a local level you have to run against those same guys. If you want a chance at winning fair money you still have to build to play with the big boys. It's playing hell on local numbers. It doesn't just effect ppl. Local organizations from Illinois want numbers. So they want to allow ppl trucks. And I don't blame ppl members for wanting to hook but they take people's money on the local levels too. If they want to do what's best for them and have us non ppl guys be quiet on the rules issues, then maybe it's time to separate the men from the boys when it comes to local hooks. Or make a rule to help equal the playing field. Say non ppl trucks can run 2.6 bushing chargers and the ppl stay with protrusion cause we all know they are the same chargers with less money invested in them.

That sounds like a local level problem not PPL. If local organizations want to allow PPL rule trucks because there aren't enough numbers then I'd say the local orgs need to work to get more local trucks. If there's not enough local trucks then it doesn't make much sense to have a class just to fit them and all have to play together.

If people think the only advantage for ODL is longevity I think your way wrong. Example lets say you take the top running trucks in 2.6 that run stock driveline with just a plain nv4500 and he pulls 300ft now lets say you have the same horsepower truck with a open drive line and he can qwick change a gear after seeing that one run to better run the track who you think it going to put 20+ft on the other truck????? And if that always going to happen I sure as hell will just park the truck cause I am sick of spending money to try and but somewhat competive

There are 2.6 trucks around here running mud tires. They don't always win......

I like the comment earlier " this is PRO Pulling League". If you don't want to spend the money then don't. If you don't want it locally get enough trucks and voters to vote it down. PPL doesn't mandate all of pulling in the country, they could care less what local orgs do.

PPL has the top trucks in the country. Yes they make a lot of power. Don't want to run with the big dogs stay on the porch. I'm not trying to be an a$$ here but it's the truth.

Don't want to run with ODL go to 2.5.

Last edited:
So funny it wasn't that many years ago (less than 5) that everyone was saying the rules needed to be more universal across the US so trucks from all over could go to hooks all over and be playing against trucks setup for the same set of rules.

Now its opposite... need to separate the pros from the amateurs.

Just a slightly comical observance from the side line. Carry on :D

If people think the only advantage for ODL is longevity I think your way wrong. Example lets say you take the top running trucks in 2.6 that run stock driveline with just a plain nv4500 and he pulls 300ft now lets say you have the same horsepower truck with a open drive line and he can qwick change a gear after seeing that one run to better run the track who you think it going to put 20+ft on the other truck????? And if that always going to happen I sure as hell will just park the truck cause I am sick of spending money to try and but somewhat competive

You can buy and NV 4500 from profab that will do the same thing.

The sport of diesel pulling trucks is new. Every class has went through this. It will take many years before it flat lines like the gas and tractor classes have. You don't see PPL pulling into every county fair across the country. It is a big venue. The promoter pays big money for it. They want the best iron there is to offer at their show. That doesn't mean there isn't a place for the ones who don't want to spend the money. PPL doesn't want 45 trucks in a class, they want 12-18. You have to separate sometime. Now the local orgs have the choice to follow or not. I spent more money than I ever dreamed I would. I'm not happy about spending it but it was my choice if I want to try and compete. It's competitive sport for a reason. If the local orgs don't want open driveline but still want the trucks make them drop weight or hitch to even it up. We still have a combined 2.6/3.0 class around here but the 3.0 has to drop 500lbs and 2" of hitch.

Look at NASCAR vs the local asphalt tracks. In the world of pulling PPL and NTPA are the NASCAR.

Everyone has their own opinion on this matter. That's why we live in a free country!

Last edited:
So funny it wasn't that many years ago (less than 5) that everyone was saying the rules needed to be more universal across the US so trucks from all over could go to hooks all over and be playing against trucks setup for the same set of rules.

Now its opposite... need to separate the pros from the amateurs.

Just a slightly comical observance from the side line. Carry on :D

That's cause now there is a average 200hp gap within the class and certain guys getting good parts that can increase that even more. Then take that to a local level and the gap goes to 5-600. Hell a sled operator can't even set the sled for that kinda difference.

For guys running odl, what is the ball park cost for a complete profab set up and every thing needed to make it complete

I've done sum searching and I'm having a hard time figuring out what it all takes to convert to a profab set up

Depending on cost and what local organizations decide my pile of parts might turn into a fishing boat lol