2016 3.0 turbo rule changes

I can't speak for everyone, only myself. I blew my ring and pinion to pieces and decided to go 3.0. It has taken a longer than I would have liked to complete the truck. Having it almost finished and now being told things will change for next year is discouraging! If I wanted to build a cut tire truck I would have built for the next class up. As far as turbos go I already spent the money on a competitive turbo. It is a shame to not be able to use it. As far as the two options go, changing a turbo would be easier than going to cut tires.

2.5 should be street capable trucks with no hood stacks, factory appearing turbo and intercooler systems. Keep 2.6 stock drive line and single rear wheels. Use a box stock turbo in that class to keep the power and cost down. Keep 3.0 open drive line and DOT dual rear tires. Have Super Stock use the cut tires. That keeps things simple for the pullers and spectators to understand the classes.

There is really no difference in the trucks from running DOT to cut tires. Take one set off and put one set on. So I don't quite understand what you would change. Maybe it's the lack experience that scares everyone. You may have to slow your final down a little bit that's about it. I've had some issues this year with them but that all comes with learning. Nothing really out of the realm of stuff we don't already do to be competitive.

I would have replied to your message, but your PM box is full. Top three in PPL points for 2.6" are HX60's, top five both days at Scheid are HX60's.

I know how good hx60s run. I think people would be surprised how good they would still run as a 3.0 turbo. Win in the current rules? Not saying that but these trucks don't need a damn 4.1 on them either.

There is really no difference in the trucks from running DOT to cut tires. Take one set off and put one set on. So I don't quite understand what you would change. Maybe it's the lack experience that scares everyone. You may have to slow your final down a little bit that's about it. I've had some issues this year with them but that all comes with learning. Nothing really out of the realm of stuff we don't already do to be competitive.

i have yet to talk to anyone that has run on both DOT and cut tires that has said they would rather run on cut tires and sharpen them, etc vs DOT's. and anyone with a dana 60 up front now will be forced to upgrade to a 106 steerable. and throw a new turbo to fit the rules you're pushing 20k pretty quick before you even get to the engine.

i could see the bigger single and bar tires class having a decent turnout maybe at a national level but i think it would be tough at a local/regional level.

i have yet to talk to anyone that has run on both DOT and cut tires that has said they would rather run on cut tires and sharpen them, etc vs DOT's. and anyone with a dana 60 up front now will be forced to upgrade to a 106 steerable.

My father has a 1250 hp mod truck with a Dana 70 out front that has lasted 10 years, don't hop and it won't break. Big rear ends arnt always the answer. Sometimes it's the chassis

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

My father has a 1250 hp mod truck with a Dana 70 out front that has lasted 10 years, don't hop and it won't break. Big rear ends arnt always the answer. Sometimes it's the chassis

so he's 400hp short and i'd bet 1200-1500# lighter than the 7800# 3.0 diesel class?

i think a one ton front end would be "ok" at that power and weight also.

Also less than half the torque of the 3.0 diesels.

Calvin Miller still runs a D60 in his mod truck. He has had no issues. I've spoke to him a bit this year about it. Just saying they will live.

We destroyed 5 R&Ps on the 60 this season alone (Front), Finally Matt gave up and built a mod streetable F106..3.0 truck.

The 60 works in the flammables engines (Gas) trucks, Not So in 3.0 that's a contender on a bitter Track.

The 60 ruined half of our season....the other half was partially ruined trying to dial it in after the changes...

Why cant rules be ever left alone? But whats most annoying is people that think that odl belongs in 2.6 it doesn't that's what 3.0 is for step it up and don't have to fix **** all the time. I know I don't make power like many but I have been able to so far make it through the year on one R&P and got 20+ hooks on it this year and 10-15 from the year before. So with that said if 2.6 goes ODL it will kill the class and Im sure lots of people will get out of pulling

Why cant rules be ever left alone? But whats most annoying is people that think that odl belongs in 2.6 it doesn't that's what 3.0 is for step it up and don't have to fix **** all the time. I know I don't make power like many but I have been able to so far make it through the year on one R&P and got 20+ hooks on it this year and 10-15 from the year before. So with that said if 2.6 goes ODL it will kill the class and Im sure lots of people will get out of pulling

If they allow it, it doesn't make you have to upgrade. If your parts work leave it alone. I am quite sure numbers will not be hurt in the 2.6 Midwest PPL series. If guys want single rear tires go 2.5

Last edited:

Agreed!!! And doesn't Curt still run a 60 in the front of off constantly? And if true, does he not bolt necessary turbos on and cut tires and go pulling?

Just an FYI:

I called Mears a couple days ago regarding PPL 2.6 rules for next year just to see if decisions have been made yet...

He said a minimum of open rear and hopefully ODL. He also mentioned 3" smoothbore and a strict 158" wheelbase. However it sounded like decisions won't be made until the night of the banquet on Oct. 31st.

I have talked to him thru email and got the same answers. Glad to know things will be set in stone at the banquet. Gives people and manufacturers time to get parts built and installed. Doesn't affect me directly, but wish they wouldn't make the drivetrain and turbo changes in the same year.

What's best for PPL is far from what's best for every other organization.

True open rear does not add hp by itself but it does take away the "gamble" of high hp trucks taking the chance that they might break and somebody else might win. That's part of pulling to me. Risk and rewards. Plus it will allow for all future motor hp to be put to good use so yes it does add hp to the class.

There should be three classes.
2.6 stock driveline
3.0 open driveline
Super stock.
Wait, ain't that what there is now? Quit messing with the rules. If your tired of breaking then make a change in what you do. Don't make everybody else change cause you found your spending limit finally

Last edited:
Just an FYI:

I called Mears a couple days ago regarding PPL 2.6 rules for next year just to see if decisions have been made yet...

He said a minimum of open rear and hopefully ODL. He also mentioned 3" smoothbore and a strict 158" wheelbase. However it sounded like decisions won't be made until the night of the banquet on Oct. 31st.

So does that mean that 3.0 and 2.6 will be combined into one class or...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only asked about the 2.6 class, I've heard the 3.0 class has changes coming as well.

Going to suck if they do big changes in 3.0. None of our bunch will make any more ppl or itpa pulls. Our local organization will NOT fallow ppl rules. The money just isn't in this area to support them. We just won't be going to any "big" pulls anymore.

Just an FYI:

In other words its like this

no 2.6 it will be 3.0 smooth
3.0 is now 3.6 with bar tires

Back