2016 3.0 turbo rule changes

Around here our 3.0 Class has turned into the class that everybody can't miss. Even seems like the tractor guys stop what they are doing to watch. Our class is sort of something most everyone can relate to sort of. The crowd doesn't see a open driveline gutted body truck. They see what looks to be a street able truck that makes stupid power and turns a bunch of rpms with street tires. Although I know to true pullers cuts tires are just plain bad ass but I think to the crowd it it will be less that they can relate to. In our class we have ford chevy and Dodge bodied trucks and you ought to here our announcer stirring up the crowd. It gets pretty comical.

Not sure if I would consider myself a "top truck" or not, but the last 3 hooks have gone like this for me...

Friday night Scheid - Awesome run in progress until I broke rear slip yoke, front yoke on tcase, front pinion yoke, front ring and pinion, cracked rear ring and pinion that was fresh
Saturday night Scheid - had a decent run, got ready to spin out and broke front and rear ring and pinion and front u joint
Friday night Lanesville Indiana - broke rear ring and pinion, front ring and pinion, passenger side stub shaft, and something in the transfer case is messed up

Something's gotta give. Tired of working on driveline.

Agree^^ and I've been running a 24in hitch all year and am still working on it every 3-5 hooks. I know I have zero interest in turning back power after spending money to get it... We need the driveline, for what is being spent on repairs and no matter what changes are made will continue to be spent on repairs it just needs to happen. As far as the charger goes, that's gonna have to really be looked at, because I highly doubt all the turbo companies combined can crank out enough replacement parts to reconstruct one class let alone two.

Agree^^ and I've been running a 24in hitch all year and am still working on it every 3-5 hooks. I know I have zero interest in turning back power after spending money to get it... We need the driveline, for what is being spent on repairs and no matter what changes are made will continue to be spent on repairs it just needs to happen. As far as the charger goes, that's gonna have to really be looked at, because I highly doubt all the turbo companies combined can crank out enough replacement parts to reconstruct one class let alone two.

On that same note.... could profab or scs turnot out 100+ drop box and reversers and axle parts. I know I've been waiting on my drop box and reverser to ship for over a month. Waiting on input shafts to come back from harding process

Damn that sucks. Im not a puller but I do enjoy it. I cant believe that much is breaking. They kept changing it upping the hp so now they obviously need to change something for the driveline to be able to somewhat live. I mean I understand there will always be breaks, comes with the sport. But things happening like josh just posted is a bit ridiculous to me. I'd be pissed changing chit that much lol

Jones95runner, I think with a major rule change, whether it's turbo or ODL, there are going to be parts availability issues. Turbo manufacturers start pushing them thru and quality issues become an issue and you see 40-50 hp difference from two same turbos. ProFab or SCS can make a lot of parts, but if they rely on an outside source for harding, there will be delays that cannot be helped.

Do you think if they go to smooth bore will the same turbos be the top ones ?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Glad someone brought up parts availability because I know in the last 2-3 years I haven't had one performance part (in the least bit custom) delivered on time. I wonder if the rule makers even take stuff like that into consideration?

The cut tire discussion Is coming from the promoters. They want 3.0 on cut tires. They are the real ones pushing for it. They don't want DOT tires on national classes. What the people who put the pulls on want they will probably get. If you guys are so against all this you need to call Mears.

The smooth bore is because of cheating and the fact stuff just isn't getting checked the way it should. So it makes it easy on techs

With 3.0 on cut tires how will it look different to the casual fan than the Super Stock trucks?

Poor tech inspections is a reason to make everyone purchase a new turbo?

I don't see any contact info on the PPL site for Mears. Can you provide this?

With 3.0 on cut tires how will it look different to the casual fan than the Super Stock trucks?

John Mears...call him and let your concerns be known:

502 817 7494

I don't see any contact info on the PPL site for Mears. Can you provide
this?

Believe there are 2 issues for current 3.0 class
1. Smooth bore
2. Cut tires

I think many of the PPL points guys are fine with the smooth bore(as long as it maintains current power level).

The cut tires is another story.

Probably be solved at the banquet.

Last edited:

Go to "contact us" it goes to him or has every time I've ever emailed him. Why is everyone scared of the cut tires? They have given everyone a year to get them and run them. From what I have heard there are a lot of 3.0 guys wanting them. More want them then don't.

Last edited:
What about if they had an experimental hook like mentioned earlier? There's one month until Rudy's, cut the 2.6 trucks to 7500-7600 lbs and 24" hitch. Let the 3.0 guys run cuts if they want, your choice, most guys can borrow a set. It's a tight clay track and usually ~310ft, all the grip is there for the track. Let them have their map grooves, big frames, little frames, whatever, and see if the trucks still break with less weight at same hp, the guys will be there either way. See what the everyone thinks about cuts. If either works, you have a good idea where it needs to go. Doesn't work, you've not lost anything and can have the big driveline.

The more and more I look into and think about the 2.6, bringing it down to 7500 is a pretty interesting thought, run same turbo and change hitch height? ..... interesting and maybe, almost, could be signing up for that train of thought. The only issue I would see from where I pull ar, they run an 8K and 8.5K class so you get two hooks a night if you want to...I guess you could run a 7.5 and an 8K class...same concept I think?

Pudge's idea is definitely one of the most constructive and practical ideas I've heard put forth on the issue. Most 2.6 guys have adjustable hitches & 500lbs mostly off the nose you'd think would help with some of the breakage issues.

Go to "contact us" it goes to him or has every time I've ever emailed him. Why is everyone scared of the cut tires? They have given everyone a year to get them and run them. From what I have heard there are a lot of 3.0 guys wanting them. More want them then don't.

I can't speak for everyone, only myself. I blew my ring and pinion to pieces and decided to go 3.0. It has taken a longer than I would have liked to complete the truck. Having it almost finished and now being told things will change for next year is discouraging! If I wanted to build a cut tire truck I would have built for the next class up. As far as turbos go I already spent the money on a competitive turbo. It is a shame to not be able to use it. As far as the two options go, changing a turbo would be easier than going to cut tires.

2.5 should be street capable trucks with no hood stacks, factory appearing turbo and intercooler systems. Keep 2.6 stock drive line and single rear wheels. Use a box stock turbo in that class to keep the power and cost down. Keep 3.0 open drive line and DOT dual rear tires. Have Super Stock use the cut tires. That keeps things simple for the pullers and spectators to understand the classes.

Depending on track conditions sometimes DOT tires hook better than cuts anyhow. We see it all the time in our RWYB class. What are the top running 3.0 trucks currently making for HP?

What about if they had an experimental hook like mentioned earlier? There's one month until Rudy's, cut the 2.6 trucks to 7500-7600 lbs and 24" hitch. Let the 3.0 guys run cuts if they want, your choice, most guys can borrow a set. It's a tight clay track and usually ~310ft, all the grip is there for the track. Let them have their map grooves, big frames, little frames, whatever, and see if the trucks still break with less weight at same hp, the guys will be there either way. See what the everyone thinks about cuts. If either works, you have a good idea where it needs to go. Doesn't work, you've not lost anything and can have the big driveline.

Agree with this, but I think you'll still need to drop the duals to save the breakage.