2016 3.0 turbo rule changes

Why not just make 2.6 smooth bore to bring power down and leave it a factory drive train class?! :nail:

That's interesting that PPL wants to downsize turbos and up the driveline. IMO if there going to go with open rear or ODL than the turbo rule should be left alone

In other words its like this

no 2.6 it will be 3.0 smooth
3.0 is now 3.6 with bar tires

First I'd heard 3.6 smooth bore. Although I'd probably say I could live with that. The 4.1 everybody is saying is what I can seem to understand. the reason I heard was just because it was already a known turbo to work. Although I still don't agree there because the 4.1s on the market now are set up for 600+ cubes and not 400. I say they will still have to have quite a bit of r&d work done to be top notch, and won't be a direct bolt on from a limited pro turbo.

The 4.1 would make them close to super stocks , not has much in power but one could jump up and with a good driver could compete , as you see now the super stocks just sandbag most of them just feather it , so if your using only half or so of the 3Khp they would have a good shot ...

And people cry about 2.6 , go back to around 2008,2009 when 3.0 was pretty strong a lot of the trucks were around 1200 + hp , guess what most 2.6 trucks are today ???

Last edited:
I think the switch to open driveline 2.6" would be more than most would want to afford. And I think that would throw a lot of current 3" trucks in there with a turbo change.

So what happens when 2.6 trucks go ODL and then start cracking blocks? People are gonna choose a gear that will let the truck lug down in the rpm range and it gonna start happening, then what, someone gonna propose billet blocks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First I'd heard 3.6 smooth bore. Although I'd probably say I could live with that. The 4.1 everybody is saying is what I can seem to understand. the reason I heard was just because it was already a known turbo to work. Although I still don't agree there because the 4.1s on the market now are set up for 600+ cubes and not 400. I say they will still have to have quite a bit of r&d work done to be top notch, and won't be a direct bolt on from a limited pro turbo.

A 4.1 turbo bolts on a 5.9/6.7 motor just fine. It's basically what the 3.0 class is running now.

Last edited:

You'd be surprised, about the only change needed is a turbine housing. Some won't even need that.

You'd be surprised, about the only change needed is a turbine housing. Some won't even need that.

I never said they wouldnt "run". It also depends on what the compressor inducer turns out to be. Smooth bore turbos like BIG boost numbers. I never said I g trim with. 25cm housing wouldn't run as a smooth 4.1. But whose to say that will be the winning combo. Smooth bore turbos aren't the one sized fits all max power turbos like these big mwe turbos are.

With that being said I'm not against the smooth bore. I'm against 4.1 smooth bore 2200hp trucks

Last edited:
I never said they wouldnt "run". It also depends on what the compressor inducer turns out to be. Smooth bore turbos like BIG boost numbers. I never said I g trim with. 25cm housing wouldn't run as a smooth 4.1. But whose to say that will be the winning combo. Smooth bore turbos aren't the one sized fits all max power turbos like these big mwe turbos are.

With that being said I'm not against the smooth bore. I'm against 4.1 smooth bore 2200hp trucks

I don't think the 4.1 smooth bore is gonna fly. As mentioned they are going to try to find a smooth bore that keeps the power approximately where it is now with the current 3.0 turbos.

A 25cm housing would grenade a smooth bore 4.1 before 100ft...We've had a lot of time around these big chargers on small cube engines over the last year. This is a smooth bore bore 4.1 with a 2.6 bushing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNAoJnkp7G8
I can also promise a smooth bore 4.1 will be well north of 2200hp.

I don't think the 4.1 smooth bore is gonna fly. As mentioned they are going to try to find a smooth bore that keeps the power approximately where it is now with the current 3.0 turbos.
Exactly, because 4.1 wont be anywhere near current power levels.

We run a 32cm housing on a Hart's 4.1 smooth bore on a 440ci duramax. Makes 85psi all day long. Def would need to downsize the compressor if they are just looking to maintain current 3.0 power levels. From what I have been told just swapping a Hart's 3.0 to a 4.1 picked up north of 400hp