24 valve P-pump.... And Then Some....

Drumman

Cummins TSS
Welcome to my build thread. After having this truck for 3 years I am finally doing "major mods" to me at least. I feel like its the right time in my life. I bought a house last year, been at my job for 2 years, have the room and all the time I need to do a prefect build for me. I got out of the performance side for a little bit to save money and focus on dirt bike racing. But that all changed when FirstGen90 moved in with me because he got hired on at Cummins :clap:. As many of you know you try to get out and it just sucks you right back in. This will not be a quick build what so ever. I will be taking my time to do things right. I want to make it enjoyable and throwing a truck together is not my idea of fun.

Lets get on to what i plan on doing. Most of it will probably change considering i have added a lot of stuff to my list just within the last two weeks of working on the truck.

As of now the plan is....

(Virgin) 160 P-pump conversion - Thanks to Big Blue24.

7 X .012 Injectors - Big Blue24 will be building these for me.

4k valve springs.

Heavy duty push tubes.

Bigger camshaft of some sort, still haven't decided.

Manual valve body.

Gated shifter.

Add a billet output shaft.

Single turbo, maybe 72 with spool flange if i can get a hold of one.

Lots of cleaning and painting.

custom transmission lines and fuel lines.

A lot of clean up work and time to make things look pretty.

Now picture time!

This is my girl, so innocent to what is about to happen to her
001_zpsdc3cd749.jpg

Was rotating the engine around to get the pump nut and damper bolts off and then when i took the front cover off this is what i saw. Perfectly in time without trying, thought it was picture worthy.
1_zps3b39776f.jpg

2_zps15e5d469.jpg

LoganS, Schrowang and oldestof11 ended up stopping by and checking out the tear down on their way to the Indiana diesel shootout. Great guys! Thanks for the help!
3_zps32c9c23e.jpg

4_zpsbe6323c2.jpg

Er Mah Gerd heard gersket!
5_zps5311759d.jpg

6_zps03f5a63c.jpg

7_zps238766cb.jpg

8_zps93df2bc5.jpg

Yes I used zip ties and they worked great after cleaning the oil off the tappets. It just seemed more safe to me.
9_zpsd990f4b3.jpg

10_zpsb0bb2f1c.jpg

11_zps1e7d3f55.jpg

12_zps0c83389e.jpg

I thought I was done with the tear down at this point hence the paper towels covering everything. Then I decided that I wanted to check all the main and rod bearings and while i was there clean up the engine bay which is desperately needed.
13_zpsdf051068.jpg

14_zps001163f4.jpg

15_zpsaeff4d8a.jpg

16_zps223c6f96.jpg

17_zps73e36ebc.jpg

I dont remember installing a leveling kit :lolly:
18_zpse40e64bc.jpg

19_zps5036bd1b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Little side note this is FirstGen90 getting a little mad about his fuel leaking from his tank lol but all is good and well now.
20_zpsebf80907.jpg

Back to my bottom end tear down. I pulled number 5 rod cap for the first cap and this is what I found. Sure glad i decided to pull the block!
21_zpsd4f97b53.jpg

And this is number 1 rod top bearing. Not looking good for me but again really glad i pulled it instead of assume it was okay.
22_zps8b81b95d.jpg

FirstGen90 acting like he is doing something.
23_zpsa3158ea8.jpg

FirstGen90 actually not doing something lol.
24_zpsc6b2ec1b.jpg

Me pissed off about the rod bearings.
25_zps6421c28d.jpg

Acceptance of the rod bearings.
26_zps671e6e55.jpg

27_zpse1c0b5a6.jpg

Crank out! All the main bearings seem to look good. Only the 2 rod bearings were worn, the rest look good.
28_zpsab2cbd26.jpg

29_zpsa9e9fec3.jpg

30_zps7f20b3ce.jpg

This is where she will sit for awhile.
31_zps8bc96953.jpg

FirstGen90's truck and my old 85 chevy.
32_zps1a164f13.jpg

33_zps63bf6ff5.jpg

Valve cover that I painted, but needs to be repainted after sitting for such a long time.
34_zps395617a7.jpg

I was very surprised to see the coolant jackets with so little scale and corrosion!
35_zpsd0de205b.jpg

For those of you wondering the zip ties on the tappets survived the block being pulled out of the truck, flipping the block on its side to remove pistons, the block being flipped to remove the crank and also until moving the block to its final resting position. I did not pay any attention to them since the block was coming out and they did a good job.
36_zpsdb238889.jpg

All my parts laid out for close inspection.
37_zpsfbadf0ff.jpg

38_zpsf7922a94.jpg

160 P7100. I am working on making my own linkage to use the stock 24 valve APPS.
39_zps8cbe47bf.jpg

I apologize for the pictures i used img code from photobucket. If this is my error could someone give me a hint on what to do. if this is a competition diesel forum error could a mod please fix it for me? thanks in advance!

Last edited:
It is just as easy to click the "direct link" code box on the options next to your pics on photobucket so the code is copied. Then, click the picture icon on here which looks like a few mountains and copy the direct link code from photobucket in there and it will show up correctly.

your throttle linkage at your ppump is not stock. Where did you get the new ends for it? I fixed mine with some welding and it burned up one of the plastic caps on the inside...

your throttle linkage at your ppump is not stock. Where did you get the new ends for it? I fixed mine with some welding and it burned up one of the plastic caps on the inside...

did the same damn thing after my throttle linage broke, melted that bushing out. ended up making a new rod with 1/4 inch heims on the end, the linkage on both sides has a ball stud that can be removed and a 1/4 inch bolt through the heims works great

If you guys go around to the settings on photobucket, somewhere in there is a check box next to "link back". Uncheck and enjoy the old img tags

If you guys go around to the settings on photobucket, somewhere in there is a check box next to "link back". Uncheck and enjoy the old img tags

Ahhh! Thanks Jon. We were lookin for that last night.

Last edited:
Yeah, i found it by accident and cant remember the exact place. I remember being in the settings

Its a photo bucket error. You have to delete the stuff before for it to work[/quote]

I'll either have to have a mod do that, or they could delete the thread and ill fix it. Good thing I backed everything up!

[QUOTE="oldestof11, post: 2098453, member: 3934"]If you guys go around to the settings on photobucket, somewhere in there is a check box next to "link back". Uncheck and enjoy the old img tags[/quote]

Thanks Jon, I tried that on Photobucket last night but it didn't change anything or do you have to uncheck that box before you upload?

I just got a pretty common rod end bearing with 1/4" bolt on one side and 1/4" female threads on the other with some all thread rod in between. On the stock linkage coming off the pump i drilled out the ball that would normally be there for the stock linkage.
IMG_6090_zpsd51be002.jpg

It is just as easy to click the "direct link" code box on the options next to your pics on photobucket so the code is copied. Then, click the picture icon on here which looks like a few mountains and copy the direct link code from photobucket in there and it will show up correctly.

Thanks man! your way worked as you can see by my previous post.

Decided to clean up the engine bay a little bit today.

40_zps6c47273e.jpg

41_zps72d53866.jpg

42_zpsc4a5a309.jpg

43_zps5eb1bdd6.jpg

Still needs a lot of work. I cant stand all the wires hanging around!
44_zps43834826.jpg

45_zps2faca0ef.jpg

46_zpsb7beeec2.jpg

47_zps174497e0.jpg

Make sure you hit save settings. Looking good!

thanks man! I started looking through the post i have saved on a notepad document and Photobucket screwed the code all up. i went through and fixed the code on all of it. Now I'm just waiting patiently for a mod to paste everything i have saved.

Thanks! I unchecked that box last night and i just looked at it to make sure it saved last night and its still unchecked. I think it only applies if you uncheck the box before uploading photos. I was looking at the IMG codes just a little bit ago that i posted up last night and they were like...

URL/(IMG) http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk38/drumman1954/Truck%20Build/IMG_6090_zpsd51be002.jpg[/url]http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk38/drumman1954/Truck%20Build/IMG_6090_zpsd51be002.jpg(/IMG)URL.....

When they should have been (IMG)[url="http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk38/drumman1954/Truck%20Build/001_zpsdc3cd749.jpg(/IMG"]http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk38/drumman1954/Truck%20Build/001_zpsdc3cd749.jpg(/IMG[/url])

so for some reason photobucket put URL and IMG code together when I entered it in the forum.

Last edited:
Hurry up and start buying parts so we can get this "build thread" going!!! Geez, some peoples children. Starting build threads without parts... :rules: But seriously, this is going to be a pretty fun build. Slow, but fun. :rockwoot: