286110 vs 286210 Piston Performance ?

There was one thing I didn't like about the 110s and that was you could forget about trying to start it below 30*F if it wasn't plugged in. I try to plug it in below 40* just to reduce long term wear from cold starts

The 286110 piston in stock form shouldn't have any affect on it starting

Shimming the regulator won't have any effect on hot idle oil pressure. Low psi is a result of low GPM due to low rpm and thin oil.

Shimming the regulator won't have any effect on hot idle oil pressure. Low psi is a result of low GPM due to low rpm and thin oil.

Or a wore oil pump. The oil bypass doesn't open till around 80-100 psi, IIRC. Its just to stop from blowing the filter apart.

Also, I want to lighten the wrist pins because I might as well while in there. I can't believe how heavy they are. I only want to bore out the ends and knock around 100 grams off each one. It will make a minimal difference at 2000 rpm or so but the weight along reduction with reduced drag from oil retention on rod beams and the reduced reciprocating weight should net me another 25hp. Lots of hours but my time is free. I have yet to inspect the crank after this event. But plan to run the H series bearings. Also, I already have billet piston cooling nozzles and they look to have done fine the last 20k miles. I think I will reshim the oil bypass to get it up around 50-60psi at a hot idle.

How is polishing the rods and taking 100 grams out of the wrist pins going to gain you 25 hp?

Last edited:
Picked up the block last week from UCF. Looks great! They did the following:

Cut .010 off the top
tank
bore .020" and torque plate hone
Remove a broken fan mount bolt
add new oil galley plugs. They also peened and epoxied them in!
pushrod area freeze plugs

Total was $801.77

I was hoping to get away using a standard piston but standard pistons had .008" clearance before the machining so Snedge hooked me up with a set of .020" 286210 pistons.

Next is grinding the crank .010, balance rods, flycut .100" and coat pistons.

EDD10E19-7633-484C-8DC9-116CA418A476_zpsjbkfylle.jpg

2A8D6850-05F5-4AE0-B94C-02E562DDF75C_zpsmzp8qbdi.jpg

Charlie

I run 286050 at .020 over in my 01' 12V and really like them on mine, 17.5 compression, towing style twins at 55 psi and make enough power to break plenty of $hit.

Jim