2nd trashed billet flexplate

Status
Not open for further replies.
partsguy662 said:
That doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense either. If you've got big dollars tied up in something already and can't afford to fix it, fixing it half-assed is just begging for an even larger bill in the very near future.

If it is the result of poor installation the first time around, the job goes back to the original installer along with a request to make it right. If something is installed correctly and it fails because of a defect, you contact the manufacturer.

This sounds like an ugly situation all the way around, and I have a feeling that it probably should have been handled much differently.

What? You a mind reader? Phil tried all that, but that didn't happen. Just ducking and dodging. Hiding up there in Polar Bear Country. If I know Phil...DTT's customer base is going to dwindle.

I am gonna put my 2 cents in here and I may kill this thread. I was friends with Joe Webb, and I have seen his name and his company get treated this way because of installer error many times. IMO, neither Bill or DTT are at fault or on the hook IF the installer botched the job. Garmon did my Trans, and if it pukes, I'm not gonna call Ron if the Suncoast parts are not to blame. Also, if all the parts were bought from the installer, then it is their responsibility to get right with DTT, not the end customer. None of the tranny component builders can warranty someone else's work even if they are an authorized installer, nor should they warranty parts that were installed incorrectly.

All parties in this case need to handle this matter in private. We do not need this crap on the board. It is not doing any good. I know several very fast trucks running all matter of transmissions, so we all know that the big names make good units. If you do not buy a complete tranny direct from a vendor and have them install it, then your warranty is only as good as the guy you had build it.

Timbeaux38 said:
Easy on the name calling Soot. I dont tolerate personal attacks...especially between non-paying vendors. You guys are both getting free press out of this, and I have no reason to let this thread run.
Non Paying Vendors!.....blasphemy.........

Timbeaux38 said:
I am gonna put my 2 cents in here and I may kill this thread. I was friends with Joe Webb, and I have seen his name and his company get treated this way because of installer error many times. IMO, neither Bill or DTT are at fault or on the hook IF the installer botched the job. Garmon did my Trans, and if it pukes, I'm not gonna call Ron if the Suncoast parts are not to blame. Also, if all the parts were bought from the installer, then it is their responsibility to get right with DTT, not the end customer. None of the tranny component builders can warranty someone else's work even if they are an authorized installer, nor should they warranty parts that were installed incorrectly.

All parties in this case need to handle this matter in private. We do not need this crap on the board. It is not doing any good. I know several very fast trucks running all matter of transmissions, so we all know that the big names make good units. If you do not buy a complete tranny direct from a vendor and have them install it, then your warranty is only as good as the guy you had build it.

Right on Tim. :clap:

phil

everything you post is screaming of blame and attention...everything seems to come back to the SAME DRIVER and SAME TRUCK..dont you think that might be the problem? we see pictures of burnouts and hear stories of nothing but nascar style driving..just saying..:poke:

My question is, why is this person still the "#1 installer in TX"? I know everyone makes mistakes but this has been a mistake followed by a bad follow up, poor customer service, and downright highway robbery. Seems I would still buy DTT because I have seen some good ones but would look elsewhere to have it installed, but I don't have to worry I guess with my trusty ol hand shaker.:rockwoot:

BNB said:
phil

everything you post is screaming of blame and attention...everything seems to come back to the SAME DRIVER and SAME TRUCK..dont you think that might be the problem? we see pictures of burnouts and hear stories of nothing but nascar style driving..just saying..:poke:

Why have a badass truck and drive it like a grandpa?:bang

I guess you could also at the same time ask me why have a lifted truck and only drive it on the street......well it's for the ladies. LOL

TheBigNasty said:
Why have a badass truck and drive it like a grandpa?:bang

I guess you could also at the same time ask me why have a lifted truck and only drive it on the street......well it's for the ladies. LOL

point proven...:pop:

I am sorry, but I have followed this since the very beginning. And I must say from a neutral point that I do not see any reason why DTT should step up to the plate and replace this stuff for free. It is very obvious that the problems all began from a bad install. If the original installer had bolted the flex plate on properly, this would have never happened.

I totally agree. DTT should not have to cover it because it is not an original manufacturers defect but rather an install error as said before. However, the installer should be held responsible for a poor install and should acknowledge his mistake and cover the replacement but here we are.........

TheBigNasty said:
I totally agree. DTT should not have to cover it because it is not an original manufacturers defect but rather an install error as said before. However, the installer should be held responsible for a poor install and should acknowledge his mistake and cover the replacement but here we are.........
exactly! I feel very bad that it happened, but DTT did not babysit the installer

It seems funny to me how everyone can sit here and come up with their own opinions based on the facts that a 19 year old presents that doesn't seem to have too much knowledge about diesel trucks. I seem to agree with BNB in following this thread both on Competition Diesel and DTR forums it all comes back to the same common factor... same driver and same truck.

DTT has always had good components and great customer service. Their installers are some of the absolute best in the industry but yet out of the hundreds of thousands of parts produced it only seems that one disgruntled customer is the ONLY ONE in the entire United States and Canada that is encountering this issue and making a huge production about it? Complaining about Bill not returning your calls and emails, I hate to break it to you, but in all honesty, you have a lot to learn. Patience is a virtue. I don't care who you are or more over, who you think you are. But when you emailed him today do you honestly expect him not to defend his company's name on the internet while you repeatly bash him and his products? I'm sure if you had remained silent about it, it would have had a different outcome. We reep what we sew.

From reading both forums, sounds to me like Phil was more impatient and wanted his truck done NOW and wouldn't allow the first installer much time to work around his truck. And I can see both ends of the coin here but do you not think that the first installer has other tranny jobs coming in and out of his shop? Or that he should just stop production of other customer's vehicles to cater to your every need? In seeing photos of your burn-outs and ragging your truck like it's nothing, it's no wonder that you're having problems with your truck. You don't seem to have the know-how to take care of what you have. And from what I gather from your posts, you've had your tranny done a while ago and you are just now having these issues.

In my opinion, if you have a DTT component, you should have a DTT approved installer work on your vehicle. I don't care how upset you are, you should have left it at your first installer to make right by you. But you took it to Sootman, when you should have taken it to the first installer to replace the parts in order to keep your warranty. Your impatience got the best of you there. From what you've posted, the First guy was never trying to "rob" you of anything. It's perfectly clear that he was trying to do right by you and trying to help your second installer but you know what they say, nice guys always finish last. It's not right of you to post negative things about James because you and your second installer haven't really been alive as long as he's been knee deep in trannies. I would trust a veteran who has 30+ years of experience in the field and is a Master Tech over someone who seems to be more knowledgeable in motors and engines and power mods than trannies. Being from Texas and into diesels, I've heard of your First Installer and I have heard nothing but great things about him. Why would he botch your truck to risk his name and what he does? That makes no sense. I think your drama on this subject is more over drawn that most high school girls. Just stop it. No one really cares.

We've heard from the complainer... Phil. We've heard from the Second installer... Sootman. And We've heard from Bill Kondolay, one person who everyone seems to be bashing is the first installer who hasn't posted to defend himself who everyone seems to put down. I think it's pretty decent of him not to get on here and start a crap throwing contest. Conflicts should be solved face to face or via phone conversation and everyone's dirty laundry should not be posted on these forums. So if your First installer is "lighting up" your phone, answer it like a man, dude. If you have nothing to hide and nothing to fear, answer it. Otherwise you need to apologize to him and his customers for over reacting to this entire issue. Do you think you're the only one who doesn't like their truck being out of service? No, you're not the only one. You abuse the truck, you need to learn to live with the consequences. It's a fact.

I think this should be deleted and Phil take my advice when I say STOP posting. In all honesty, you can bash DTT and the first installer all you want, but one bad cookie doesn't spoil the bunch.

Timbeaux38 said:

The guy who built and installed the tranny in question isn't a member here. Bill came out of nowhere and spouted his opinion. I agree that DTT's dealer should take responsibility, but he hasn't yet so Phil wanted to let Bill know this was happening. Phil's truck is fixed and he is happy with the way it is running. Thats all that matters in the big picture.

TheBigNasty said:

According to Phil, The first installer sent his replacement Flexplate to the Second Installer and that whole issue was dead when the Second Installer completed the installation.

The issue at hand now is why was Phil only able to go only 500 miles on the second Flexplate? I would suggest the second installer had something to do with it. Or possibly a mechanical failure not directly related to the part. Don't be quick to point a finger unless ample research has been done to determine fault.

I'm a logical thinker and hate placing blame on anyone. Look at the bigger picture and not that just Phil is having problems.

Sweet_Rapture said:
It seems funny to me how everyone can sit here and come up with their own opinions based on the facts that a 19 year old presents that doesn't seem to have too much knowledge about diesel trucks. I seem to agree with BNB in following this thread both on Competition Diesel and DTR forums it all comes back to the same common factor... same driver and same truck.

DTT has always had good components and great customer service. Their installers are some of the absolute best in the industry but yet out of the hundreds of thousands of parts produced it only seems that one disgruntled customer is the ONLY ONE in the entire United States and Canada that is encountering this issue and making a huge production about it? Complaining about Bill not returning your calls and emails, I hate to break it to you, but in all honesty, you have a lot to learn. Patience is a virtue. I don't care who you are or more over, who you think you are. But when you emailed him today do you honestly expect him not to defend his company's name on the internet while you repeatly bash him and his products? I'm sure if you had remained silent about it, it would have had a different outcome. We reep what we sew.

From reading both forums, sounds to me like Phil was more impatient and wanted his truck done NOW and wouldn't allow the first installer much time to work around his truck. And I can see both ends of the coin here but do you not think that the first installer has other tranny jobs coming in and out of his shop? Or that he should just stop production of other customer's vehicles to cater to your every need? In seeing photos of your burn-outs and ragging your truck like it's nothing, it's no wonder that you're having problems with your truck. You don't seem to have the know-how to take care of what you have. And from what I gather from your posts, you've had your tranny done a while ago and you are just now having these issues.

In my opinion, if you have a DTT component, you should have a DTT approved installer work on your vehicle. I don't care how upset you are, you should have left it at your first installer to make right by you. But you took it to Sootman, when you should have taken it to the first installer to replace the parts in order to keep your warranty. Your impatience got the best of you there. From what you've posted, the First guy was never trying to "rob" you of anything. It's perfectly clear that he was trying to do right by you and trying to help your second installer but you know what they say, nice guys always finish last. It's not right of you to post negative things about James because you and your second installer haven't really been alive as long as he's been knee deep in trannies. I would trust a veteran who has 30+ years of experience in the field and is a Master Tech over someone who seems to be more knowledgeable in motors and engines and power mods than trannies. Being from Texas and into diesels, I've heard of your First Installer and I have heard nothing but great things about him. Why would he botch your truck to risk his name and what he does? That makes no sense. I think your drama on this subject is more over drawn that most high school girls. Just stop it. No one really cares.

We've heard from the complainer... Phil. We've heard from the Second installer... Sootman. And We've heard from Bill Kondolay, one person who everyone seems to be bashing is the first installer who hasn't posted to defend himself who everyone seems to put down. I think it's pretty decent of him not to get on here and start a crap throwing contest. Conflicts should be solved face to face or via phone conversation and everyone's dirty laundry should not be posted on these forums. So if your First installer is "lighting up" your phone, answer it like a man, dude. If you have nothing to hide and nothing to fear, answer it. Otherwise you need to apologize to him and his customers for over reacting to this entire issue. Do you think you're the only one who doesn't like their truck being out of service? No, you're not the only one. You abuse the truck, you need to learn to live with the consequences. It's a fact.

I think this should be deleted and Phil take my advice when I say STOP posting. In all honesty, you can bash DTT and the first installer all you want, but one bad cookie doesn't spoil the bunch.

Alright James quit posting in 3rd person. How old am I? I am a Triple Master Tech and Cummins Certified to 19 liters with honors. I like this thread as much as you do and I was dragged into it by Bill's comments. *bdh*

Man, I just cannot see why you would put something back together that is knowingly broken. Thats like breaking something as a kid, then putting it back together so no one see's it, then when someone picks it up and it falls apart saying "Look what you did". Just my .02. I realize he didn't have the money, but wow, thats just dumb.

sootman said:
The guy who built and installed the tranny in question isn't a member here. Bill came out of nowhere and spouted his opinion. I agree that DTT's dealer should take responsibility, but he hasn't yet so Phil wanted to let Bill know this was happening. Phil's truck is fixed and he is happy with the way it is running. Thats all that matters in the big picture.

In doing research on DTR, Tranny man did post. Seems to me like he's taken responsibility for the first install issue.

First Response:
Am watching this as well. Pump bushing had slight signs of having been in service. Never said it was worn out. I always replace it if I am back in a trans for any reason. Converter hub was not worn. Pump was in like new condition. Clutches looked new.
Don't know exact cause of noise, but as far as parts turning, nothing changes from reverse to drive sitting still. Engine turns same direction, converter and flexplate turn same direction, only thing in trans turning is pump gears. The pressure is higher in the trans in reverse. Nothing else in driveline is turning. Noise is there in reverse, only quieter. Puzzling indeed.
James

Second Response:
Should have the flexplate and bolts Wed. Will try to see what caused this.
Just missed it when the trans was out. Just human error. Never had flexplate to CRANK bolts loosen, stretch or whatever happened, and I've been doing this a long time.

Then Phil's Reponse to Tranny Guy:
Honest tranny man at work. Props to him

Sweet_Rapture said:
According to Phil, The first installer sent his replacement Flexplate to the Second Installer and that whole issue was dead when the Second Installer completed the installation.

The issue at hand now is why was Phil only able to go only 500 miles on the second Flexplate? I would suggest the second installer had something to do with it. Or possibly a mechanical failure not directly related to the part. Don't be quick to point a finger unless ample research has been done to determine fault.

I'm a logical thinker and hate placing blame on anyone. Look at the bigger picture and not that just Phil is having problems.

Have you read the thread? Torque converter is egg shaped. It has been yanking on the flexplate from mile one! No one offered new converter to Phil so old converter was reused do to money issue's. Heat marks on hub and pump bushing was worn(which I replaced free of charge). again....*bdh*

sootman said:
Alright James quit posting in 3rd person. How old am I? I am a Triple Master Tech and Cummins Certified to 19 liters with honors. I like this thread as much as you do and I was dragged into it by Bill's comments. *bdh*

I am not James, just someone who's heard of his work and believes in honesty and is very sick of Phil's whining.... That's it.

And I'm sorry but don't try picking a fight with me, I'm just trying to look at this from both ends of the spectrum.

sootman said:
Have you read the thread? Torque converter is egg shaped. It has been yanking on the flexplate from mile one! No one offered new converter to Phil so old converter was reused do to money issue's. Heat marks on hub and pump bushing was worn(which I replaced free of charge). again....*bdh*

I'm not ragging on you, but if you knew it was defective since mile one, why would you even use it again knowing it was going to tear the chit out of the flex plate again?

Status
Not open for further replies.