2wd sledpulling

Wildman must be proud. Some how this post has survived for five months... I figured it had died with along his desire to pull with a 2wd truck.:doh:

I saw a really good pull with a 2wd dmax at a local pull, Better than most 4x4 guys there.

-Chris

JW3 said:
All this TALK of 2wd pulling.............just do it already!!! and quit the internet keyboard pecking then you might get some respect.

I've hooked.
I'm peckin'.
Who said anything about respect??? Havin' fun is what counts!

Zstroken, your first link doesn't work. Trust me. If I had a 2wd and wanted to make a puller out of it, I would bet I could be fairly competitive against the 4wds. Its all in the setup. No I couldn'r out pull a full blown super stock truck, but a 2wd with the same realative power, I could give him/her a run for thier money.

2WD LOL

The arguments for are always full of "yabbuts".

Yabbut we need 30" hitch height
Yabbut we need cut tires
Yabbut we need tires 10" taller than yours
Yabbut we need ZERO hitch length
Yabbut
Yabbut
Yabbut.

Maybe we should do like they have in Ohio, open classes.

Street diesel 4x4s at 8000#
Street diesel 2x4s at 8000# and all the yabbuts above
Pro Stock blown gassers at 6500# and 18" hitch height
Super Stock diesel tractors at 6000# and 12" hitch height
40,000# cement mixers class, 3 mph pace tractor, 10" hitch height
Military tanks (Run Whatcha brung) 6" hitch height
Trackhoes - must pull from bucket
Dozers - must pull in reverse, nothing larger than a D6
Dragline class
Tri Axle Dumptruck class
Mobile home toter class (huge participation in WV)
RV class (bonus feet applied based on number of drunk chicks inside)
12,000# Minivan class
Highway Paver class
15,000# School bus (screaming kids allowed as ballast)
25,000# Short bus class (starts at 50' line)

Get enough rules and everyone pulls! :hehe:

Last edited:
kino_fab said:
Zstroken, your first link doesn't work. Trust me. If I had a 2wd and wanted to make a puller out of it, I would bet I could be fairly competitive against the 4wds. Its all in the setup. No I couldn'r out pull a full blown super stock truck, but a 2wd with the same realative power, I could give him/her a run for thier money.

The second link does and the guy has cut tires, blown motor, 30" hitch height, solid suspension. Trust me I imagine he as at least 300 HP on me, if not more.

His problem was he over powered the track and never really got hooked. It takes a lot more technique and skill with a 2wd, especially a blower truck like that, than a 4wd. Another thing is you have to reallize how much less weight he was running. THe Blower 2wds usually only run 6200lbs compared to the tipical 8K or 8500 that the diesels run. If The 2wd in your video had the room on his truck to hang that much more wieght, then he problably would have done a whole lot better.

I wouldn't need any of those "yabbuts". I would run the same rules and be right up there with ya. 26" hitch, 35" DOT street tires, rearend and hitch in the stock loction.

kino_fab said:
Well if none of you have seen a Naturally aspirated 2wd street gasser, then look in my signature. We have been running this truck for a long time now. I can't count how many time we have got into a discussion at the tracks about how much the 4x4 trucks couold out pull us 2wd's. But in the end the sled guy would always chim ein and say that most of the time the 2wd trucks need more wieght than the 4x4 trucks. If you allow a 30" hitch on the 2wd trucks, block the suspention and have 4 link ladder bar tracktion bar system, then a 4x4 with the same power wouldn't stand a chance depending on the drivers and the setup of the 2 trucks. I say go for it. Dazed and Confused, I forgot to mention anything about 2wds pulling with us at our rules meeting. But there is nothing in the rules that say you can't. Just ask me if you need any tips and I would say with us two working to gether, the 4wd's will be fairly pissed by the end of the season.

Thanks, glad to see someone chiming in and willing to help us out.

So the huge cut tires, don't help offset the improper weight, as well as the much higher HP. The track was the same conditions for all of the pullers.

I would like to think the #2 outlaw puller would know how to set his truck up.

Those big 18.4x16.1 cepek do make a differance.he just had a little tomuch weight on the front.Rockhard Ram[Haisley] got beat by a nat,asp,600 cube injected bigblock chevy weighing at 6700.lb Van was at 8000lb.the 2wd got him by 20ft I had it on my other computor lost it when lightning got it.
Dale

I am thinking that is a fluke. I mean Erik Stacey smacks those down all the time.

nwpadmax said:
2WD LOL

Maybe we should do like they have in Ohio, open classes.

Street diesel 4x4s at 8000#
Street diesel 2x4s at 8000# and all the yabbuts above
Pro Stock blown gassers at 6500# and 18" hitch height
Super Stock diesel tractors at 6000# and 12" hitch height
40,000# cement mixers class, 3 mph pace tractor, 10" hitch height
Military tanks (Run Whatcha brung) 6" hitch height
Trackhoes - must pull from bucket
Dozers - must pull in reverse, nothing larger than a D6
Dragline class
Tri Axle Dumptruck class
Mobile home toter class (huge participation in WV)
RV class (bonus feet applied based on number of drunk chicks inside)
12,000# Minivan class
Highway Paver class
15,000# School bus (screaming kids allowed as ballast)
25,000# Short bus class (starts at 50' line)

Get enough rules and everyone pulls! :hehe:

:rules: LOL

For all the guys talking a bunch of smack where are your trophies, oh wait you all have Yabbuts on why your not number one... JMO I think it would be cool to competitively pull with a 2fer but its the "norm" to run 4x4 so there will always be knuckle heads that think and do what everyone else does. GL with the projects

well from what I can count on our shelf, we have 16 trophies, and from my knowledge about 40 wins under our belt in the past 8 years. Sled pulling has more to do with wheel and ground speed. Which that leads to the setup and power of the truck, and more importantly the technique the driver uses. Here is a video of our truck at Marengo, IN this past summer. Its not of good quality because it was taken from a camera phone. The sled operator said there was no difference in the sled at all between the 4wd class and our class. I got second place that night and The 4wds were pulling the same distances as our 2wd class. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHbmCduhOVQ

kino_fab said:
well from what I can count on our shelf, we have 16 trophies, and from my knowledge about 40 wins under our belt in the past 8 years. Sled pulling has more to do with wheel and ground speed. Which that leads to the setup and power of the truck, and more importantly the technique the driver uses. Here is a video of our truck at Marengo, IN this past summer. Its not of good quality because it was taken from a camera phone. The sled operator said there was no difference in the sled at all between the 4wd class and our class. I got second place that night and The 4wds were pulling the same distances as our 2wd class. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHbmCduhOVQ
Thats not the normal 2wd truck either. The smoker tractors are 2wd also, and they do pritty well. The original post on this thread was from a guy with a fairly mellow chevy 2wd truck not a mod truck or anything crazy like that.

-Rob

Rob_Bones said:
Thats not the normal 2wd truck either. The smoker tractors are 2wd also, and they do pritty well. The original post on this thread was from a guy with a fairly mellow chevy 2wd truck not a mod truck or anything crazy like that.

-Rob
the idea was to take a work stock class truck that was 2wd and run with 4wd guys. basicly same stock suspension dot tire and all that stuff........ :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1:

from what i have seen basicly joe shmo can run a 4x4 pull and do decent.

4x2 truck need a different set up than a 4x4 truck plain and simple

my plan are still going and still plan on pulling it. other thing have become more important right now.

rumor mill says a 2wd DMax took 2nd place in a 4wd class beating out 21 4wd trucks. :eek:

Congrats Duramax14!!!