3126 cat n an ambulance chassis

sooooooooooo....650 mi trip each way..fighting the pos truck...omg...voltage showing under 12v the whole trip almost..belts tight...all I know right now....then coming home the pos started overheating and I had to slow down...don't hear the fan kickin on so I'm guessing theres a sensor or the clutch isn't working..its got an air clutch looks like fed from the compressor? other than that..at 6 on cruise its a dream to drive..except the seats don't recline so sleeping in It was a *****

Attachments

• dash4.jpg
    dash4.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 0
  • dash3.jpg
    dash3.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 0
  • dash2.jpg
    dash2.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 0
  • dash1.jpg
    dash1.jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 0
  • dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    493.2 KB · Views: 0
Ya, no shidt. Maybe we can give them both a Viking burial in the lake together.

Maybe we can give them both a Viking burial in the lake together.

They're a long way from both of you, but you could take them to these guys...

attachment.php

Attachments

• If we can't fix it.jpg
    If we can't fix it.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 0
I love the way they think. LOL

I'll roll that effin 4020 right into the river behind both of the trucks too. LOL

I'm keeping the 5210 we can use it to push the junk in..im with ya...'fn thing...really isn't as powerful as I thought either...I mean 7 tons shouldnt be an issue I wouldn't think...but it does drive nice about 68 mph..til it over heats.....

They're a long way from both of you, but you could take them to these guys...

attachment.php

so buddy....charging sytems thoughts?

or cooling system...I think the fan clutch is not working...see pin 12 is the ecm signal but I gotta find the sensor so I can jump it out and listen for the engage...

oh yeah..it burned a gallon and a half oil each way...650 mi

If it doesn’t have a ton of blowby, is not leaking oil thru the turbo, and doesn’t smoke heavily when cold, that kind of oil consumption is very probably caused by leaking internal injector oring(s). Also if it started doing it fairly quickly I would lean that way.

I’ve seen it multiple times on the 7.3 Powerstroke, and the 3126 injector is designed exactly the same way.

On a 7.3 you can pretty much bet on that being the issue if the fuel filter is black and oily when you take it out.

If this oring fails, oil consumption will skyrocket.

It will push oil from the high pressure oil side into the fuel system.

Attachments

• 3A12DC05-C9B9-4223-8CCB-83DD884168C2.jpg
    3A12DC05-C9B9-4223-8CCB-83DD884168C2.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 0
Check the color of the fuel in the tank(s)

Sent from my motorola one vision using Tapatalk

so being that the charging system is not doing like it should..and the truck overheats at higher speeds...im going to replace the belt..thinking it might be slipping under heavy load...and the thermostats..cuz its easy...truck does not have an air fan sadly...basic clutch fan ..old school thermostatic deal...thatll be next if it keeps up overheating..no wonder I haven't heard it kicking on ...lol

so being that the charging system is not doing like it should..and the truck overheats at higher speeds...im going to replace the belt..thinking it might be slipping under heavy load...and the thermostats..cuz its easy...truck does not have an air fan sadly...basic clutch fan ..old school thermostatic deal...thatll be next if it keeps up overheating..no wonder I haven't heard it kicking on ...lol

After looking up your serial number(8YL72401), I see that yours has the old V-belt drive water pump. This belt is hard to get to and easily overlooked. By the time the belt fails, the tensioner pulley bearing is either toast or close to it. 100% worth replacing along with the belt. I didn't bother looking up the Cat serpentine belt number because I figure you could get whatever brand you want, but I have the numbers for the idler pulley and the tensioner which I would highly recommend replacing. A new belt won't help you if it's not tight and slips. As far as the fan clutch goes, that's a tough one since most trucks are too loud to let you hear if it has engaged. Even then they only lock up 70% of the way. And then there's the obvious stuff like dirty radiator cores and blocked(or missing) shunt lines. It's surprising how many people think you don't need that little 3/8" hose! Anyway, here are some Cat part numbers:
036-6775 - Water pump V-belt
115-4204 - Water pump belt tensioner
138-2514 - Serpentine belt tensioner
253-4525 - Serpentine belt idler pulley

And it will run cool in the winter months with a stretched belt. Had engines on yard dogs where the belt was completely gone.

Sent from my motorola one vision using Tapatalk