33 mpg

This thread was really awesome up until the page before this one......... :bang:kick::doh::blahblah1::poke::umno::snoop::pop::stab::homo::hehe::kick::what:*bdh*:blahblah1::poke::badidea::umno:..........

I am about to do some work on my cousins 97 12v 5spd 4x4 for mileage. I plan on setting the timing to 16.5* and replacing/rebuilding the stock injectors. I would like to give it a little more power, but not more than the stock turbo and clutch can handle. His truck is as stock as it gets, exhaust, intake, everything. He doesnt want to spend alot of money, and doesnt want the truck any louder than it is, so no exhaust mods... at all.

What injectors would you guys recommend for this application? I was thinking about a 300hp set. Also has anyone played with higher pop-off pressures for mileage?

TIA Bodie:Cheer:

i wonder what kinda of mpg crabbelle would get on straight number 1 diesel? I get about 12 or so.

i wonder what kinda of mpg crabbelle would get on straight number 1 diesel? I get about 12 or so.

those numbers are on straight diesel, i dont have run anything else on the truck.

Speedshift, i run a ddp2 injector, tire size (tall and skinny), and a larger exhaust housing would help. the major component is pedal placement.

Just curious what mpg do you get out of your truck? I have an 01 ram 2500 intake, 4" straight pipe, fass 150, and the smarty revo and i cant get over 13-15 mpg my truck is an auto tranny with 4.10s and i put 35s on the truck hoping it would drop my rpms and increase my mpg but it didnt increase the mpg?

so did you switch to propane? what's your average mileage since this thread was started?

no i didnt switch to propane. you need to have less contact with the road, and shave some wieght. gearing and so on. with 4wd you have alot of rotating mass

Just curious what mpg do you get out of your truck? I have an 01 ram 2500 intake, 4" straight pipe, fass 150, and the smarty revo and i cant get over 13-15 mpg my truck is an auto tranny with 4.10s and i put 35s on the truck hoping it would drop my rpms and increase my mpg but it didnt increase the mpg?

If you switched to 35s the tires are wider than the ones yo had before. That will decrease your MPG. My 95 gets a tad over 19mpg. All I did was remove the fuel plate, 4' down pipe and exhaust. I would like to get more out of it.

If you switched to 35s the tires are wider than the ones yo had before. That will decrease your MPG. My 95 gets a tad over 19mpg. All I did was remove the fuel plate, 4' down pipe and exhaust. I would like to get more out of it.

Yeah but i had 02 2500 with the 6 speed manual tranny and i went from a 31" tire to a 33" 12.50 and went from 20 mpg to 22 mpg so i thought with this truck which had 31" tires by jumping to 35" tire it would really increase my mpg but it didnt it made my mpg go down even though it dropped my rpms down 400-500?

more rotating mass? do you drive more highway or city? highway taller tire is perfect but getting that taller tire to move your using more force. all my driving was highway (Baltimore,MD-Philadelphia,PA). fold them mirrors in, invest in a bed cover. but in the end yo have to decide if yourinvestment in fuel milage will pay off sooner or later. i quit driving mine everyday because its old and the steering sucks, the truck rattles. thats why it turned into a tow rig, playtoy

crabbelle, what exactly is your truck? Like reg cab long bed 2wd or ? What mods have you done to the pump, turbo, etc. I drive about 220 miles one way to where i work once a week and im needing either something like this or a little car to get some good mileage. I really hate driving cars so i would love to have a diesel truck like yours that gets 30+mpg!

hey bobby what turbo and housing were you running? I am playing with my project mpg and need some advice!

damn the best i ever see is 16mpg. I cant get the boost gauge to not move. Highway is at least 10 psi all the time. With a trailer about 30 psi on hills. Anybody ever used a Valet switch??if so how good do they work?

my '96 is basically stock, minus a BHAF, #10 plate full forward, afc full forward, stock DP to 4" catless/mufflerless turndown. 47RE, 265-75-16s on stock steelies.
I filled up yesterday, drove 479mi round trip to Scranton, PA from VA, and filled back up. 2.69/gal, 23.43 gal, 20.44mpg. No bed cover, tailgate up, 65-70 the entire way (all highway, no traffic jams), and yielded that. I babied it, tried to stay out of boost as much as possible, and used my cruise control. SCLB with elephant west-coast tow mirrors.. I was sure I'd gotten better than that, but there's the numbers. All but about 10-15 mi was pure highway, with an average R/T speed of 63.6mph, and a top speed of 72.3mph, per the GPS.

HOWEVER, my speedo, when compared to the GPS, is about 2-3mph slow. Meaning, when the GPS says 70mph, my speedo shows ~68. Over the course of the 7h45m drive time, this will definitely account for about 16mi or so. Given that factor, I'd still only be around 21-21.5mpg.

:bang

Back