4r100 help?

DEZLFREK

my licence plate says it
ok i was driving down the highway about 78mph, tranny was about 185* and all of a suddon it was like it went into nuetral and started smoking out the back, i coasted to a stop.. tranny fluid was all over and dripping out from behind the tc.. did that seal give it up.. i added fluid after i got towed home but it has no intention of going into any gear and its just running from behind the tc.. im guessing its going to be a rebuild but wondering what the heck happened.. well it made it 25o miles with this new motor.. dammit..

The pump seal is known for coming out on those transmissions.

Do you have an upgraded cooler? 185 is not that hot but depends where are you getting that tempature at? Trans maybe hotter than you think and they puke there fluid out the front seal when hot. Ask me how I know fords 99-03 had undersized coolers. More than likely it was pushing out few miles back and toasted the converter and clutches. Before you install your rebuild flush your cooler lines and install a huge cooler in front your tranny will be happy. If you have an after market temp gauge install on the outlet to the cooler so you can see what your actual trans temp is before the cooler.

On another note how's the 91mm treating you.

Chris

Where's your temp probe?

Sounds like the front pump/front seal.

the probe is on the side of the tranny almost under the shifting mechanism... i still cant believe this thing puked just driving down the freeway.. no load.. just cruising down the freeway..
as far as the 91 is working good.. going about 75mph im reving about 2250 and going over any grade like a overpass total boos goes up to about 12 ish, the between will se about 2-3 and temps are about 750.. i want to pull a load soon.. well as soon as the figgen tranny is figgured out..

so what kind of cooler, drake said something about a 6.0 cooler?

so what kind of cooler, drake said something about a 6.0 cooler?

Thats what I swapped in and it works great. I plow during the winter and had an aftermarket one that had a fan and it didnt work as good as the stock 6.0 one .

Thats what I swapped in and it works great. I plow during the winter and had an aftermarket one that had a fan and it didnt work as good as the stock 6.0 one .

thanks, so is that the one that goes in front of the intercooler? also it still had the stock pan on it so ill go with a double deep on so hopefully that will help also but im going to have to put a tranny blanket on for pulling so i hope i dont have to deal with blowing the seal out after every 100 miles on he freeway.....

Who's tranny are you goin to do. I know the fords BTS is a good choice they know the 4R100 good. I heard the 6.0 liter coolers are good or one rated at 30k gvw is what I threw on after rebuild. Did you have your stock cooler hooked up or may be plugged.

Who's tranny are you goin to do. I know the fords BTS is a good choice they know the 4R100 good. I heard the 6.0 liter coolers are good or one rated at 30k gvw is what I threw on after rebuild. Did you have your stock cooler hooked up or may be plugged.

this was a bts tranny, i think because its purple it was an ats tc.. but ill prolly have drake rebuild this.. i talked with bts a while back and this tranny was built in about 03, i only had about 1000 miles at most on it. bryan of who i baught the truck from was "sponcered" by bts back then but was only really good at blowing up his powerjokes and never had it back on the street since 03.. i had driven it with the first motor i put in about 700 miles total but never anything past about 30 miles at a time.. this was my first "road trip" and it made it about 100miles before it gave up.. so i guess we will be upgrading with the newer tech we have for the 4r100's today.. and ill be putting the 6.0 cooler in along with a double deep pan.. i still dont understand how this thing burnt up just driving empty down the freeway but maybe that stock cooler was plugged.. just sucks this truck has been such a pain to get and keep on the road.. and i havent even got to start pulling yet.. BS

thanks, so is that the one that goes in front of the intercooler? also it still had the stock pan on it so ill go with a double deep on so hopefully that will help also but im going to have to put a tranny blanket on for pulling so i hope i dont have to deal with blowing the seal out after every 100 miles on he freeway.....

Yes and it was a simple bolt in .

this was a bts tranny, i think because its purple it was an ats tc.. but ill prolly have drake rebuild this.. i talked with bts a while back and this tranny was built in about 03, i only had about 1000 miles at most on it. bryan of who i baught the truck from was "sponcered" by bts back then but was only really good at blowing up his powerjokes and never had it back on the street since 03.. i had driven it with the first motor i put in about 700 miles total but never anything past about 30 miles at a time.. this was my first "road trip" and it made it about 100miles before it gave up.. so i guess we will be upgrading with the newer tech we have for the 4r100's today.. and ill be putting the 6.0 cooler in along with a double deep pan.. i still dont understand how this thing burnt up just driving empty down the freeway but maybe that stock cooler was plugged.. just sucks this truck has been such a pain to get and keep on the road.. and i havent even got to start pulling yet.. BS

PI Stallion converter if it's the BTS installed TC.

Don't know why it went, but I'll bet money the condition of the trans is related to the the PO's luck with engines.

If it's a BTS tranny call Brian. He gives a lifetime warranty on his transmissions.

He will take care of you. 6.0 tranny cooler rocks. I'm at 312k on my stock trans and it's because of the 6.0 cooler and my BTS valve body

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while pulling a 36ft gooseneck and not paying attention to the road.

Who did your PCS Tunes ?

i got the basic tune from fordcummins and did the fine tuning from there. the only problem i have is that its not using the tps and is working on mph only.
ill call bts tomorrow on this and see what happens.

That is what cooked your clutches, you have no line pressure to compress the clutches and you killed it, most likely NOT under warrenty .

im not sure about the line pressure.. i talked to brian a while back and he was going to send me another pcs tune so it would work off the tps but that didnt happen yet.. i left a message a week ago and never heard back.. im not to worried if its under warrenty.. i just need to fix it.. i guess there are better shafts than the cryoed one, some kind of girdle for it. im not sure what the converter was but it was tight it could be a little looser.

Brian will take care of you. Let us know how it goes. I didn't know Brian tuned the PCS controllers.. nice..

Back