5.9 Procharger Kits now available!!

Moar boost!... At least that's my guess. the way I look at it is the charger is like a low pressure but high volume pump and the turbo creates the pressure. Kinda like a lift pump and injection pump. But I could be completely wrong, however I did stay in a holiday inn last night.

Last edited:
If you were to flip the 2 around that would makes sense to me, the idea of the secondary getting air movement so some real drive pressure can be built so there's sufficient force for a "huge turbo" to spool.

Thank You

When Talking to the Procharger guys, as Richard said, a heat-soaked wheel can blow apart although not as easily as one might think. Like I said, it has to actually be heat-soaked. Procharger said if you have a turbo that'll flow more cfm than the Procharger that you're using, switching it around works great. But the F1C flows 1850cfm at max rpm (74k iirc) so that'd have to be a huge turbo. :D

ok. so why have a turbo at all?

The turbo still adjusts under load, i.e. going over a hill or something whereas the Procharger doesn't. Kinda like getting the best of both. :D

If you try and blow into a procharger they also pop off the front cover....not designed to handle boost. As for why have a turbo also, I'd think a huge procharger would surge like heck under low rpm if you overdrove it enough to make huge boost numbers, the turbo is a good intermediary to up the pressure ratio without making much of a horsepower loss. Because the engine is way more of a bottleneck than the turbocharger, having a turbo sandwiched inbetween would make it much more drivable.

All mechanical failure aside (like exploding wheels, that crap can be fixed/re-engineered in theory)

How is that turbo creating more pressure when it still has to pull more air though the pro-charger to get that extra air to create more pressure? When the turbo's on boost, is the procharger free-wheeling, kinda? like the turbo is creating a vacuum in procharger?

The hill climb example, yeah, that would suck to lose the turbo for that situation.

Best bet would be to call 'em. As busy as they are they don't get online too often.

All mechanical failure aside (like exploding wheels, that crap can be fixed/re-engineered in theory)

How is that turbo creating more pressure when it still has to pull more air though the pro-charger to get that extra air to create more pressure? When the turbo's on boost, is the procharger free-wheeling, kinda? like the turbo is creating a vacuum in procharger?

The hill climb example, yeah, that would suck to lose the turbo for that situation.

Its just like your typical set of twins. The secondary isn't pulling air through the supercharger if there is pressure in the interstage pipe, the SC is still providing more air than the turbo can pull on its own.

Its just like your typical set of twins. The secondary isn't pulling air through the supercharger if there is pressure in the interstage pipe, the SC is still providing more air than the turbo can pull on its own.

I'm confused how this makes more air faster vs just the super charger with out turbo.

in a twin turbo configuration isn't there negative pressure interstage off idle? The secondary can pull on the primary comp wheel a little...

The part I'm mis understanding here is the volume of air available when you have the rpm dependent piece open to atmosphere. Tho, I suppose if the supercharger can not handle 1500cfm at 150psi at 2500rpm to get the necessary air volume to the cylinder that's a reason to put a turbo in the middle.

Did I just talk though figuring out why? lol

Last edited:
Centrifugal compressors will flow more at a lower pressure given the same wheel speed. Lower interstage pipe pressure will net a higher mass flow through the primary (SC). The turbo is there to boost the pressures. I imagine that the SC will be spinning much faster at idle than a large turbo would be, depending on pulley size and gear ratio in the gear box, so the little turbo trying to pull air through the SC would be less of a concern.

What size of turbo's would you use with this setup normally? like a 60-66mm? and do they have it where it'd fit 12v's yet?