6.0 Mod Limitations

I gotta agree with most others...just stop where you are.
Modding them to the levels some do requires you to come to the realization that you WILL be working on it quite a bit more than the average guy wants to.
Is it worth it ? Only you can decide that.
Is it agrevating ? Hell yes
Is it a whole lotta fun ? An even bigger HELL YES !*

*when it runs right

In the 200cc injector thread Extended Power started, you said you had 4 bad injectors. Was this on a different truck? Is the limit of the 6.0 changing injectors?

Those were with stock sticks. Havent had one problem since cass's 200s

I'm always fixing someone else's mess. Just bring it down here with the rest of them.

I'm the "rest of them" No one touches my truck except him. Lucky for me I live 20 minutes from Doug(PSDPlayer). Not lucky for him is I have no clue what I'm doing.

What would be a good aftermarket turbo,...that is just one better than the stocker.....because I have a manual tranny,....and my stock turbo doesn't clean up my stock injectors.

I went from intake, exhaust, 275's, ported/polished fire-ringed heads, big full fuel system, headtsuds, egr blockoff, nitrous, vgt-ss then II 62/80 turbo, suncoast conv. and trans, SCT and probably more im forgetting. In that 2year span I only got to enjoy my truck for maybe 4months of that time due to alot of broken parts, alot of time waiting on parts and even more time wasted dealing with a horribly run shop.

I took it back to ford and called in a favor to have a new motor and the rest returned to stock and im back to just an intake, exhaust, SCT and suncoast trans/conv. And im happier that im back to using it everyday and for everything like it should be. Most all of those parts are still here in my shop and I have zero desire to try it again on a truck I really depend on.

It was a poor setup for a DD/work truck but still I havent seen any 6.0 here w/ injectors and single turbo that can work as hard as a stock one.

I'm the "rest of them" No one touches my truck except him. Lucky for me I live 20 minutes from Doug(PSDPlayer). Not lucky for him is I have no clue what I'm doing.

Doug....now Pete's blaming you for his truck being SLOOOOW:hehe:

I went from intake, exhaust, 275's, ported/polished fire-ringed heads, big full fuel system, headtsuds, egr blockoff, nitrous, vgt-ss then II 62/80 turbo, suncoast conv. and trans, SCT and probably more im forgetting. In that 2year span I only got to enjoy my truck for maybe 4months of that time due to alot of broken parts, alot of time waiting on parts and even more time wasted dealing with a horribly run shop.

I took it back to ford and called in a favor to have a new motor and the rest returned to stock and im back to just an intake, exhaust, SCT and suncoast trans/conv. And im happier that im back to using it everyday and for everything like it should be. Most all of those parts are still here in my shop and I have zero desire to try it again on a truck I really depend on.

It was a poor setup for a DD/work truck but still I havent seen any 6.0 here w/ injectors and single turbo that can work as hard as a stock one.

PM me with a price for your 62/80:thankyou2:
You should have just sent it, and the gears when I bought the rods...:bang:hehe:

Take all the money you want to spend in your truck and buy you a new toy (Rhino, Motorcycle, Boat etc) and you will be alot happier. Nothing like taking the "fun" factor away because your **** is broke.

Haven't heard anyone mention a larger intercooler...

I think it's a big plus to complimenting those what were mentioned. Can't quantify for anyone other than seeing lower EGT's and less smoke. I'd definitely make an intercooler next on the list after those mentioned by the other fine folks on here.

Heck I have a Stock '06 F350 6.0l and I couldn't keep it on the road for more than a Few weeks at a time for the first year taht I owned it.. I had issues with everything, Then Finally had the Engine Blow at 34K miles (Bone stock too) Now I have a new engine, and I havent had as many problems, Some here and there...Cant seem too keep my CAC Tubes on right now, ANd I blow Loads of Black Smoke

sct,intake,exhaust is a good setup that will still give alot of vehicles on the highway a run for their money and is very reliable. Just watch your gauges and dont get stupid.

You can't beat stock. It sucks, but it works. You do have to remember that the people you listed didn't go buy of the shelf parts that had been available and tested and driven by hundreds of people. All of them tried something new. And then they stopped wanting to be the tester.

Couldn't of been said any better. Keep it stock, you'll be glad you did.

I also know many of my friends who work for Navistar..aka International here in Indianapolis. The cast the blocks/cylinder heads and assemble the powerstruggle motor. They were telling me that back in the 90's with the old 7.3 that they would hot test 100% of the motors that came off the line. Meaning, they would start every engine and run it through a short series of tests before shipping out. Once cutbacks and budget crisis were in sue, the company stopped testing 100%, and only tested a fraction of the motors. Therefore, letting some with machined flaws out of the factory. Just a tidbit of information I thought some of you PSD lovers would like to know.

If you do the proper precautions, then the limitations are much higher than you think.

But that means, if you are doing injectors over 190cc, then a full fuel system is a must. That means larger lines from the tank to the engine and back.

A larger turbo means you need to learn to drive a little differently (doesn't take that long but there is a learning curve to a larger turbo (66mm in my case))

Adding a bunch of hp, means your tranny needs to be addressed (I know there are people that argue that one, but I'm a safe than sorry person). You may not need a fully built tranny but a shift kit wouldn’t hurt. Also, depending on what you do with a turbo and who’s turbo you use, you may need a different torque converter. Ask the turbo manufacture/shop if you need something different.

My current engine/tranny setup is.

Liberator Performance EGR and EGR cooler delete
Trusted Performance 66mm non VGT turbo
CFM Plus Large Mouth Intake Elbow
ARP Head Studs
Elite Diesel Eng. Ported intake manifold
Elite Diesel Eng. Ported Heads
Elite Diesel Eng. Ported Exhaust manifolds
Magnaflow 4” Exhaust
SCT Livewire
Suncoast Transmission
Elite Diesel Eng. 205 cc Injectors (with 225 tips)
Trusted Performance Full Fuel system: tank forward with regulated return.
Royal Purple Synthetics

I drive mine daily (1500 to 3000 miles a month)

The factory designed the truck to work well within the engineered range. Just think if you are changing a certain part, what else is needed to make it work right. Also, quality differs from manufacture to manufacture and installer to installer. Look into who you are buying something from and see what the products are like 10 to 20 thousand miles later. Finally just because someone had problems with one person’s stuff, doesn’t mean their products are bad. It just means that that set was bad. If 100 people have their injectors and 2 had problems, to me, that means they have some pretty good stuff.

I'd say your safe with the gauges, exhaust and tuner. I haven't did any of this yet but I sure would like too! I have read a ton of threads on this same issue though. Im just like you, It costs alot of money to fix these trucks. As far as the bone stock ones go, their is a lot of people with issues also. Seems to be either you get a good engine or sometimes a lemon. Cross your fingers and hope for the best! Once you do decide to mod though, These 6.0's are a way different creature when you hit the skinny pedal for sure!!

Back