6.0 Mod Limitations

It's getting there. It just has taken way more time than I imagined, but since it is not my daily driver, it is not that big a deal. My wife and kids joke and tell me "you don't have a truck, what are you talking about?"

Anyway, the hold up has been getting all the parts in house to initiate the build. The entire truck is apart. Down to the frame. The frame and all suspension parts were sent out and powder coated in 2 theme colors. We have virtually all of those parts back. The suspension was completely re-done and those parts were also matched. The engine is also almost all in house now. I think we are waiting on a couple of ceramic coatings. While all this was going on, I decided to re-do the entire interior in black complete with built it DVD/CD/NAV, etc. Not all of that is in house yet, but most.

Tadd has a couple of trucks on the lifts now and prefers to finish a truck once it is in build mode. We anticipate my frame being placed on the lift November 3rd. Not sure how long the actual build will take, but i would guess close to a month to get it all back together perfectly. I anticipate there will be a few unexpected "poor fits" and other such issues, and we'll overcome them. Once it is built, it starts testing. We are planning an FICM/SCT platform. I figure that will take the early part of December, then the holidays kills the rest of the year. Testing resumes in January and if all goes well, I get the truck in February or so. These are just guesses.

Ralph

Sounds exciting and extensive Ralph. Make sure Tadd takes lots of photos

In my opinion, to keep a 6.0 pretty reliable but fun, do this:

Exhaust
Intake
SCT
Gauges
Return Regulated Fuel System
and maybe an EGR delete
studs if the gaskets blow

After much thinking, this is probably where I will stop with mine. I cant afford to risk my daily driver being down too long. Ill buy a 12 valve when I have the money to play around more.

Is there any way I can install a guage at the bottle coming off the small hose ? Will this tell me anything ?

yeah, you can hook up a cooling system pressure test gauge to either of the small hoses coming off of your degas bottle.

with it running, give it some throttle, and if the gauge climbs with the RPM's and is consistent up and down with the RPM's you can pretty much assume you have a head gasket problem.

yeah, you can hook up a cooling system pressure test gauge to either of the small hoses coming off of your degas bottle.

with it running, give it some throttle, and if the gauge climbs with the RPM's and is consistent up and down with the RPM's you can pretty much assume you have a head gasket problem.
:thankyou2:
Thanks, that is what I was thinking. I need to get the y pipe welded back up again and with the egr blocked off I should be in alittle better shape.

Wouldn't you see the same issue if your EGR cooler had a little crack in it? I think the pressure indication you are proposing to measure will only tell you that you have a breach SOMEWHERE in your coolant system and it is seeing exhaust pressure (which modulates the pressure you read on the gauge proposed).

Wouldn't you see the same issue if your EGR cooler had a little crack in it? I think the pressure indication you are proposing to measure will only tell you that you have a breach SOMEWHERE in your coolant system and it is seeing exhaust pressure (which modulates the pressure you read on the gauge proposed).
I just put a new one in and the old one was good but since it was out we put a new one in anyway.

Back