6.0 Mod Limitations

There is a simple way to figure if you should mod your truck , if you can't afford to fix it leave it alone.

The reason I'm asking, I'm leaning towards changing my turbo. However, I don't want to open pandora's box and get studs, gaskets, fuel, injectors, trans, converter, .... Can I change my turbo to say a VGT-ss and not have my new turbo suck money along with air?

if you do anything to go from bone-stock then unfortunately you have already opened pandoras box...

like some others here have stated, i almost wish i would have left it stock, and knowing what i know now, if i were to do it over again i can tell you that my mods would be limited to :
gauges, intake, exhaust, SCT ...

period.

to be honest, my truck was still a VERY dependable daily driver when in addition to the above i added :
built tranny, HD converter, head studs, 175cc sticks, VGT-SS,
drove for about a year with NO problems ..

once i jumped up to the 200cc sticks and the nonvvt turbo it became a truck that i was literally wrenching on EVERY weekend ! ! no joke !!
you just can't expect to drive a 7000lbs plus diesel truck w/over 600HP and expect it to be able to beat corvettes at the track and still be a dependable daily driver. remember that Internation rated the motor at 225HP, then ford bumped it up 100 to 325HP, and i have since more than doubled that , so it's very true the old saying : the candle that burns twice as bright, only burns half as long

My problem has aways been with the heads. Even after going with studs the first time. I don't get it. I'm hoping that I might get a good set of stock heads one day ?? After my warranty is up I should go with after market?

My problem has aways been with the heads. Even after going with studs the first time. I don't get it. I'm hoping that I might get a good set of stock heads one day ?? After my warranty is up I should go with after market?

Aftermarket what??? Heads??

They don't exsist.

I think he is talking about some heads that someone has ported instead of just replacing them with the factory replacements.

yup i've warped two of them..

and as far as cracks go, it's a PSD thing. if you've got over 50k miles, you've probably got cracked heads.
Three so far and I now have 135k now and about 40k since the last time I put a new one on. The bottle is now tea kettling and differs from idle to any thottle position. Has not yet puked, but I'm waiting for that to start any day now.:bang

I know the feeling way too well. Had the EGR cooler replaced the other day and checked the temps compared with the oil cooler and all is good there. Was like 9 degree diff. All I can think is the heads again ????????

Brokeassford,

your signature says EGR delete..

but right above this you say you just had the EGR cooler replaced..

is it deleted? or is it blocked off from the exhaust side? Because they are 2 totally different things.

I have an spool in the place of my EGR. Got it off ebay. I did have my y pipe welded till it started leaking and replaced it with factory. Have not welded it back yet. I am looking for the best way to fix all of that. Is still under warranty till 200k. What should I do ?

depends how cool the dealer is..there is one way to delete it..that link in my signature. but it may not be your problem.

Is there any way I can install a guage at the bottle coming off the small hose ? Will this tell me anything ?

What are the limits of mods for the 6.0 to be called a true daily driver? It seems in my readings that most modded trucks beyond a SCT and maybe a turbo just aren't very dependable. It seems those trucks are constantly having problems. Just to name a few Robts, Lubeowner, Unbroken, Dal, Heinzboy, Extended Power... Some of those listed have given up on the 6.0 obviously for a reason. I'm not bashing just asking a question. What is the limit on a 6.0 for the average joe that doesn't have a bankroll of money to continuously pay for repairs and downtime.

Gene pretty much hit it on the head....if you can't afford to fix it, don't mod it. I think the problem is that in aftermarket, far too little research is done and therefore dependable, integrated packages, or even recommendations, don't exist. With the right work behind it, a 600RWHP daily driver that could tow and that would be reliable is possible. Even more. But a total re-optimization is needed. Every component needs to be evaluated. The stock vehicle is optimized around about 250RWHP. Throw an SCT and a pipe on it and now you are at 400RWHP. That's about the limit of the 250-RWHP optimized setup to handle. And even that will never last as long as stock.

Gene pretty much hit it on the head....if you can't afford to fix it, don't mod it. I think the problem is that in aftermarket, far too little research is done and therefore dependable, integrated packages, or even recommendations, don't exist. With the right work behind it, a 600RWHP daily driver that could tow and that would be reliable is possible. Even more. But a total re-optimization is needed. Every component needs to be evaluated. The stock vehicle is optimized around about 250RWHP. Throw an SCT and a pipe on it and now you are at 400RWHP. That's about the limit of the 250-RWHP optimized setup to handle. And even that will never last as long as stock.

speaking of re-optimization..when is your truck gonna be done Ralph?

Back