6.4 cummins build

A long rod is definately a better choice vs decking. Thats a pretty well known fact. But the cost of long rods, $4000+. The cost of decking, a couple hundred dollars. I think the latter works better for most, lol. Until we see the deck being a problem for us, I will not try to sell someone a set of $4000 rods for an engine thats 300-400hp less than ours.

Besides the failure at ennis, we have not had one single piston failure, EVER!. SO there is no reason for us to go to a custom billet when what we are using works 100%.

The bottom line is, you can have a very reliable 1000hp+ setup just by decking the block, a set of carrillos and cast pistons. You dont have to get a second mortgage to play at this level. There is no need for you to spend $30k on a deck plate motor for a 900hp street truck(i have seen this done, lol).

Thanks for the honesty!
You obviously havent even looked , $2800 for rods any length from us. Pistons same deal $ 1800 or less....and imagine you WOULDENT have to ever pay for these parts again if you want more power!! Dont need a dech plate, just proper engine building and planning! For a extra $4800 you get (Billet pistons AND rods) If that holds back ANY customer or shop from doing whats right RUN! You get what you pay for

I love these type of comparisons. So the rods you are currently putting in engines cost $0?

Yea really! kinda makes me laugh too

Last edited:
Following this thread before I pull the trigger on a 6.4 soon.

Whats the consensus on a 5.9 head with 04.5-07 Injectors? No go?

-T

Thanks for the honesty!
You obviously havent even looked , $2800 for rods any length from us. Pistons same deal $ 1800 or less....and imagine you WOULDENT have to ever pay for these parts again if you want more power!! Dont need a dech plate, just proper engine building and planning! For a extra $4800 you get (Billet pistons AND rods) If that holds back ANY customer or shop from doing whats right RUN! You get what you pay for

Yea really! kinda makes me laugh too

So NGM makes rods and pistons?

The last long rods I priced were $4200. This was from a very reputable company. Best price I found were $4000.

Following this thread before I pull the trigger on a 6.4 soon.

Whats the consensus on a 5.9 head with 04.5-07 Injectors? No go?

-T

I will be running a 6.7 head with 04.5-07 injectors with BMS nozzles but I have a friend running a 6.7 block with a 5.9 head with 03-04 injector pattern that Ashley help setup that runs strong

Well I have a set off injectors that's not 6 months old that I bought that's in my current setup and I do not own no 6.7 injector bodies or cores

I prefer the bms nozzle o er anything so far. They run much quiter and less smoke. The late 5.9 has a lot of rattle and smoke.

So I see...
Cheapest: deck block, 12/24v connecting rod.
Moderate: custom piston with lower bushing, 12/24 rod
Moderate: custom billet rod, stock pistons
Balls to wall: billet rod, custom pistons

Could anyone explain more in depth on the two moderate options?

Well I didn't have pistons when I started my build so I thought heck if I had to buy a set why not get the best for the setup

So I see...

Well moderate might be the best for the money but the big question is will the stock rod handle the hp goal ur shooting for ?
And for the stock piston and custom rod that may work better because I haven't herd of a lot of piston failures at all but Ashley says he has seen were stock pistons makes a little less power for the smoke they put out so it's not a good setup for his personal opinion but I don't know I went BALLS to WALL lol

So NGM makes rods and pistons?

We dont have a manufactureing facility, however we do design and spec parts from well known and reputable manufactures. we also have done R&D for several companies, and developmental work. some are custom label, and core ownership. Our Fb page shows 90% of what we are working on, and developing.

I prefer the bms nozzle o er anything so far. They run much quiter and less smoke. The late 5.9 has a lot of rattle and smoke.

Thought you were useing II injectors?

So I see...

The cheapest is doing it once! The right way.

That "right" way might be by longer rod, or changing CH on the pistons. anything else is not reccomended by us, or most reputable builders.

The options above might be solo, or in colaboration of the two and even modifieing other components as well.

I understand Blacks way of thinking, i personally would not take the risk @ 1000+HP, especially since it only a ~$1800-2800 option to ensure reliability and saftey. "If" i were to ever do it that way(deck Block .070-.080) it would be on a much lower power level with 700-800 max HP.

Personally I'm not going for big power. I think the custom piston with 12v rods will work good for me and money-limited power aspirations. 850 max.

Higher rpm I believe

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

That would seem like the obvious answer, but I guess I just can't wrap my mind around why it would be necessary for drag racing. I've always thought reducing an engine's stroke was only beneficial for longevity, when high rpm needs to be maintained for longer periods of time, such as the case of a land speed racer.

That would seem like the obvious answer, but I guess I just can't wrap my mind around why it would be necessary for drag racing. I've always thought reducing an engine's stroke was only beneficial for longevity, when high rpm needs to be maintained for longer periods of time, such as the case of a land speed racer.

Well you can hold gears longer, spool a bigger turbo because you are expelling more gasses, move the power band up higher so you're gaining horsepower at the cost of torque (you're not loosing torque per say but at higher rpms you're not going to have twice as much torque as horse power like the lower rpm range). And 6.7s aren't know for being able to spin high rpms because there is so much rotating mass. Also I may be wrong but a 6.7 might not pick up rpms as fast.
So a 6.4 splits the difference between big cubes of the 6.7 and rpms of the 5.9 and it lives at those rpms unlike a 6.7 You're not going to find a whole lot of low rpm drag racing engines because horse power is more important than torque here.

If I'm off someone please correct me I'm not a profession at this stuff but I understand the physics behind it pretty well.

Also I'd like to see one of these 6.4's built with a counter-weightless like the one that was posted up here not to long ago. I think that'd be a sweet racing setup imho.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: