62mm non-vgt turbos what do you like/dislike

Trusted

Hey guys,

We are working on some different stuff and I want to know your thoughts on your 62mm or 61mm.

What spec turbo do you have? (62/65/70 wastegated 62/65/76 nonwastegated etc)

do you like the low end boost performance

Top end boost

What do you like what do you not like

i got the II 62/80 wastegated. dont know all the specs on it, anything under 10lbs boost sucks, after that its ok, but getting to 10lbs boost, takes a little bit. then theres no boost at all when cruising in O/D, unless im doing 85mph+

How is the performance on the track?

for those that didn't read your COVER Feature, what size injectors do you have? Industrial's 225's?

Are you spraying?

What do you have wastegate set at? How quickly does it reach that?

well, when it lights at the track, its an ok turbo, the problem is getting it to light some times. it will clean the 225's with the race tune built for no spray.

yes, i have the II 225's

i do spray 2 stages, and the waste gate is set at like 30-35 from II i think, but it closed off so i could get a little more out of it.

It will clean 225s with a 62/80 wheel? A 64.7/88 doesn't clean up 190s.

Then what don't you understand about that?

We have a truck down here with a stock charger cleaning up a set of Industrial's 225's

We'll then go into the tune and get some more fuel out of them.

just started running II 62/70 turbo about 2 weeks ago trying to clean up my swamps 170 injectors and give me alittle more power. Havent had it to the track yet but have been towing with it about everyday ranging from 5-12k. Egts are about 100 degress more then normal with no load but under load they seem fine. Had to get acouple tunes to try and work the low rpm no boost out of it . other then that the the turbo seems to be working really good

just started running II 62/70 turbo about 2 weeks ago trying to clean up my swamps 170 injectors and give me alittle more power. Havent had it to the track yet but have been towing with it about everyday ranging from 5-12k. Egts are about 100 degress more then normal with no load but under load they seem fine. Had to get acouple tunes to try and work the low rpm no boost out of it . other then that the the turbo seems to be working really good

What type of boost pressures are you seeing (max and cruising)

By low rpm no boost, what rpm range are you refering too?

Thanks for the info

Not yet. I might though cuz I have oinly driving this smoking machine 50 miles since last thanksgiving. LOL

Andy, i've got II 62/70 and it has a 65mm wheel and is wastegated. Basicly this is the same turbo as redracer but with a tighter exhaust housing. Spool up is great...same as stock or better. Anything under 10lbs of boost and between 45-55mph in OD, the truck lugs down. cruising on the road 60-70mph is the sweet spot. When cruising at those highway speeds, it's usually running about 3-5lbs of boost sometimes a little more if there is a slight incline. When stabbing the throttle at that speed the truck pulls hard and boost climbs fast...it lights really fast. I've seen as much as 42lbs of boost from it but that didn't last long as i ended up blowing the seals out of it. This was caused because i turned the setscrew in all the way on the wastegate and blocked it off for max boost. Got a new turbo from industrial and kept the setscrew where they had set it and all has been good so far. It has awesome top end...even bottom end is really great, but mid range is a little luggy. I guess that's a disadvantage for going to a fixed turbo on a 6L. If i use the tow/haul mode the truck runs alot better in the mid range and turbo stays spooled better. EGT's seem a little hotter(100*) when accelerating, but constant highway speeds are around the same or maybe a little cooler. I have casserly 190's and this turbo does pretty good cleaning them up, but the truck still hazes some. Been thinking about adding a second turbo to go this 62/70 for twins to clean up the 190's better, but in do time i guess.

Last edited: