62mm non-vgt turbos what do you like/dislike

Hey Andy/Chad.

You guys want to explain the reasons why these modded VGT's have their issues?

BTW, I will be calling you guys tomorrow, I am sure you don't work Sundays!

Troy

I'm in the office right now!

The biggest reason that people are having issues with the modded VGT's is because of modification on the exhaust side. I believe Brandon at Fleece is the only one actually changing out components in the back side.

I don't want to get into what we have learned, but there are a few issues or reasons for many of the common problems people have.

As far as the last of performance at low boost pressures, that is pretty much because that isn't a lot of cfm being moved. Small wheels don't move a lot of cfm.

We have a truck here that breaks the tires loose at 5 lbs of boost with a 66. The truck just cannot hold any more power without breaking the tires loose. Same truck with a 62, can go past 20lbs before it starts to break loose. The difference, cfm.

We have been trying to create more boost down low in order to flow more cfm in the use able ranges; if that make any since.

Hey Andy/Chad.

You guys want to explain the reasons why these modded VGT's have their issues?

BTW, I will be calling you guys tomorrow, I am sure you don't work Sundays!

Troy

What are these "Issues" with modded VGT's, you speak of??

I'd like to know what the compressor wheel to housing tolerance is. If you could tighten that up a little you could probably get a little more efficiency out of them.

I think max boost i'm seeing with no load is just over 30lbs. and cruising I usually see 8-10lbs. As for low rpm range I see 1100-1500 rpm between 70-75mph cruising before it starts to spool back up. I had eric right me a tune with more fuel at those rpms and it helped out alot.

I think max boost i'm seeing with no load is just over 30lbs. and cruising I usually see 8-10lbs. As for low rpm range I see 1100-1500 rpm between 70-75mph cruising before it starts to spool back up. I had eric right me a tune with more fuel at those rpms and it helped out alot.

is that with the hybrid in your sig or a different turbo

nah that was with the 62/70. with my hybrid turbo i could peg my 35lbs. boost guage no problem in the higher rpms.

What are these "Issues" with modded VGT's, you speak of??

Being that I am on 37's with the stock 3.73's, the modded VGT has a horrible "dead spot" right at cruising speed. Somewhere around 45-65 or so, with the converter locked, my truck will only see 1200-1500 RPM, but still with 5psi boost. Only problem is that if I need to pass or hit a little incline, the truck lags REALLY bad to the point that I have to give it enough gas to unlock the converter (which will smoke out the highway with stock injectors), roll into it extremely slowly until it hits about 12-15psi and it really lights, or screw around with the tow/haul mode and playing with letting of the gas, tapping the brake, in order to unlock the converter...This is all with Eric's tunes.

I know 3.73's and 37's are not the optimum combo by an stretch of the imagination, but gears are not something I want to do at this time since with the amount of driving that I am doing now, I will probably drop down to 35's the next go 'round.

Troy

Can't really blame the turbo for improper gearing....

Try runnning 33" tires with 3:73's...works great.

I also have a set of 4:10's that I was goinig to put in, but they are for sale...costs way too much to have them installed.

Well my modded VGT built on an 04 exhaust housing whistles WAY more on the intake side than the exhaust...so I see where he is coming from.

But, is that at an idle, or at WOT?

At an idle the '03's scream rediculously loud if you don't have a cat or muffler.

I, personally, have never had a "Newer" style turbo from an '04+ truck, but I am past the point of the performance that the VGT style turbo can provide me...

I know an aeroturbine muffler cut the whistle on a Elite VGT-SS by about 70%. Same way removing the CAT and muffler makes a 03 scream.

But, is that at an idle, or at WOT?

At an idle the '03's scream rediculously loud if you don't have a cat or muffler.

I, personally, have never had a "Newer" style turbo from an '04+ truck, but I am past the point of the performance that the VGT style turbo can provide me...

Under boost, I know the 03's are just ridiculous through the exhaust, but I was just pointing out what Andy/Chad was referring to.

I know an aeroturbine muffler cut the whistle on a Elite VGT-SS by about 70%. Same way removing the CAT and muffler makes a 03 scream.

Don't forget about the downpipe resonator. The 03s had that there to cut down on the noise. Once you yank it to change the downpipe is when things get crazy.