62mm non-vgt turbos what do you like/dislike

So now what are we doing about the crappy response in the low to midrange?

I really like the response of my VGT's, but I, my neighbor, and my wife are ready to burn my truck down because of the stupid whistle.

Help me out here....

I guess to keep this on track...I didn't like the 1200-1750 rpm response.

We have a few things in store that will help lit the chargers much quicker. Which should provide great low to mid range power increases and hopefully maintain top end power. The problem with helping low to mid range is usually a back pressure problem. We think we have a solution for that.

Right now, we are working on a 62 that should be crazy responsive, but I need to know if we are going in the right direction before we continue to invest in this R&D. These are based off of our Competition units. We should, also, be able to do a 64 right now as well. The 66 I’m fairly sure will have a surge problem.

ok...I have a VGT-SS right now. It measures in like 63.5 or 64mm on the compressor side. I do not have any problem lighting it at all, even with stock injectors. My issue is the annoying whistle...I hate it. I want a stealthly truck, not some "LOOK AT ME" noisy ass truck.

What have you got that will support 190's, and be able to tow with?
I'll work with you...

Wastegates help with back pressure....that's the only option isn't it?? (For high backpressure...or you switch to a bigger exhaust housing, and loose more on the bottom end again...)

The whistle is a characteristic of the compressor wheel you are using. We don't use Garrett wheels.

The compressor wheels that we use will have a slight whistle at boost but nothing like the Garrett wheel that screams.

The towing is one aspect we need to monitor. Because of what we do to the turbo, it spools very quickly without a trailer. We need to see if loaded, it surges or not. We have done some counter measures to avoid the Surge but until we get a truck with larger injectors and a heavy load, we won't know for sure.

If I remember correctly, you tow more than 10k right Ivan? If so, then we would recommend a 62 and nothing larger (currently).

Wastegates help with back pressure....that's the only option isn't it?? (For high backpressure...or you switch to a bigger exhaust housing, and loose more on the bottom end again...)

We do a few different things for backpressure. An wastegate is one option. As you mentioned, larger turbine housings (to reduce backpressure) lead to lazy turbos. Turbine wheels are also, changed to help reduce backpressure.

The whistle is a characteristic of the compressor wheel you are using. We don't use Garrett wheels.

The compressor wheels that we use will have a slight whistle at boost but nothing like the Garrett wheel that screams.

The towing is one aspect we need to monitor. Because of what we do to the turbo, it spools very quickly without a trailer. We need to see if loaded, it surges or not. We have done some counter measures to avoid the Surge but until we get a truck with larger injectors and a heavy load, we won't know for sure.

If I remember correctly, you tow more than 10k right Ivan? If so, then we would recommend a 62 and nothing larger (currently).

If the compressor housing has a ported shroud, it has less surge for the same size compressor wheel.

My trailer is about 8000+ lbs.

Send me one down...I'll test it loaded for you...with stock injectors, and 190's when they come back.:evil

I'm pretty sure I have one (62mm) going to AZ this week for stock injector testing. He has the same turbo you have and is looking for better low end, improved fuel economy.

Uhhh, I seem to remember that the turbine wheel change from a 10 blade wheel to a 13 blade wheel cut down some of the noise on the exhaust side.

I'm pretty sure I have one (62mm) going to AZ this week for stock injector testing. He has the same turbo you have and is looking for better low end, improved fuel economy.

Better low end over the stock unit? What tuner is in the truck?

Yes the 13 blades are quiter, but I'm not screwing around with the VGT-SS...it works good, just too loud for me.

Your whistle is coming from the compressor wheel, not the exhaust wheel

Your whistle is coming from the compressor wheel, not the exhaust wheel

What???? since when?

The exhaust is ear piercing loud...(Turbine wheel) if I stand in front of the truck, I hear the air rushing in to the turbo....(Very quite)

You have the 4088 compressor wheel correct (63.4 inducer with an 88m exducer)?

That wheel screams. That is why is doesn’t matter which turbine wheel you have, it will scream.

Yes, but the noise is from the exhaust pipe, (Turbine wheel) not from under the hood.(compressor wheel) -Yes, they are both "Under the hood", but the exhaust is piped to the back of the truck...

At idle, the compressor wheel has no noise at all....but from the exhaust, it's crazy.

Hey Andy/Chad.

You guys want to explain the reasons why these modded VGT's have their issues?

BTW, I will be calling you guys tomorrow, I am sure you don't work Sundays!

Troy