8.3L Cummins Transplant

I'm traveling to Vegas in 3 weeks with a race car trailer that will fit Luke's Eaton Fuller. I can haul it across the border and drop it off anywhere along my route. Then you'd just have to ship it east once it's stateside.

That's nice of ya! Maybe someone here will jump on it.

I have heard you can ship between Fastenal locations for a reasonable price.

This 8.3L is waaaay too long. It's gonna take some serious bull schidt to get it in there.

I had some good help while brother and momma were at Basketball practice.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6886[1].jpg
    IMG_6886[1].jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6888[1].jpg
    IMG_6888[1].jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6889[1].jpg
    IMG_6889[1].jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 0
Gonna need an exhaust relocation kit...

I can't wait to throw that crap in the trash. It has been leaking and ticking since the day I bought he truck but was too deep to fix. It's all out now.

Seriously....I want to turn it up and out with a 90 from the turbo but will most likely end up with a single turn out stack behind the passenger door. I wonder if hood stack falls under farm truck in OK.

I need to move the front end up....but that will put a space between the flip hood and cowl....that or the valve cover will be under the dash and the shift lever will be behind the seat. LOL The eff do I do now? :hehe:

Does anyone make and extended version of this hood? :D

Last edited:
Is this a top kick?

Maybe you can find a shifter tower for a brigadier that would bring the shifter back up to where it belongs.

Custom dog house for the engine?

Is this a top kick?

Maybe you can find a shifter tower for a brigadier that would bring the shifter back up to where it belongs.

Custom dog house for the engine?

It's a '89 GMC 7000

I'll have to research that a little.

Most likely firewall mods, yes. No way around it I don't think. However, I think the easiest is to put the engine and tranny in the frame where it wants to go and then just customize the hood. draw lines on it, cut it, add fiberglass. My father does own a body shop don-cha-noe! It will take three pieces. The fenders would have to move back, as well as the mating edges to the cowl. Honestly....that might look pretty sweet. I can put the mounts from the flywheel housing right in the holes and simply move the two cross members on the front of the frame up. They are simply bolted in and the frame rails are straight up there. Just move up, re-drill, put bolts back in. It would just become a matter of making the dayum hood fit and not look retarded.

Fourth edit: I like the redo the hood idea more and more. Actually...I love that idea. It will dang sure be easier than a dog house that looks butchered to schidt.

Last edited:
I converted a Kodiak from the Chevy gas engine to the factory option Cat diesel engine. The owner wanted to keep the transmission that was in the truck. I called to the local dealer and to verify if the Cat engine/tranny was a factory option. Since it was, I bought the gooseneck shaped shifter and it fit thru the factory opening in the floor. I also lucked out by finding a Kodiak truck in the salvage yard that the Cat engine came out of. We were able to get the frame and remove the engine mounts, radiator mounts, etc.

Hack job MS Paint modification. If only real life were that fast.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC03010.jpg
    DSC03010.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC03010-Modified.jpg
    DSC03010-Modified.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 0
It's a '89 GMC 7000

I'll have to research that a little.

Most likely firewall mods, yes. No way around it I don't think. However, I think the easiest is to put the engine and tranny in the frame where it wants to go and then just customize the hood. draw lines on it, cut it, add fiberglass. My father does own a body shop don-cha-noe! It will take three pieces. The fenders would have to move back, as well as the mating edges to the cowl. Honestly....that might look pretty sweet. I can put the mounts from the flywheel housing right in the holes and simply move the two cross members on the front of the frame up. They are simply bolted in and the frame rails are straight up there. Just move up, re-drill, put bolts back in. It would just become a matter of making the dayum hood fit and not look retarded.

Fourth edit: I like the redo the hood idea more and more. Actually...I love that idea. It will dang sure be easier than a dog house that looks butchered to schidt.

Feck it!

Lengthen the frame, set the cab back and have your father extend the hood! Custom ride!

Gonna have to cut the hood anyway for the stack and diamond plate air ram. :hehe:

Anyone got the engine mount that bolts on the front of the block and mounts to the cross-member? The one that Chris send me is apparently for a different block. Esss no Bueno. :D

Build an engine mount from 3/4 or 1"plate.

Time to get out the tape measure and sawsall. Wooohooo

The shift tower from the 5-speed bolts right on top of the 6-speed; however, it don't shift very well and won't hit a few gears. I think the tab at the end will need to be machined down to the same width as the tab on the remote box that came off the 6-speed.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

It's only about .117" difference but I think the width is keeping it from hitting a full set of gears (one up and one back with lever). I guess you call those "gates?" I think this 6 is going to be like the 6 in my old dodge...close together. I'm gonna love it. :D

Yall agree this is the problem? I should have took pics to compare the shift controls inside each case. It is a clear the difference.

Attachments

• IMG_6895[1].jpg
    IMG_6895[1].jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6896[1].jpg
    IMG_6896[1].jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6897[1].jpg
    IMG_6897[1].jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 0
Should work but most times the end is hardened so it's no easy to cut down and may need to be heat treated after it's cut two size

Ah. Never thought of heat treated. You are probably correct. I might search fleabay for a shift lever then. :D