8.3L Cummins Transplant

Not to Derail the thread but since this is about a re-power with a Big engine, (I know most hate CF) but check out this guys thread on Cummins Forum.

He's custom fitting an 8.9L into a 2011 Ram 3500.... LOTS of custom stuff and great work.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/4...on/1894538-big-block-8-9l-2011-ram-build.html

Here are a couple of pics / post from there.... Nice build and can't wait to see it runs also like Jorys....

I am pretty skeptical of those engine mounts, looks like the gussets should have been extended to the edge of the mount.

Just bedliner the entire truck. That is a signature move of a reputable shop out west I hear.

Glad to see some progress!

My father has been in the same Body Shop since he was 14 yrs old in 1954. My grandfather opened the Body Shop in 1928. If it gets anything...it will be a professional paint job....but that is highly unlikely. LOL

He dropped "and Wrecker Service" years ago when he got older and had trouble seeing at night.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1
Also, what do you all think about electric fans on an engine this big? I may have to push air from the front of the radiator....this bi7ch is long compared to the V8. :D

I'm going to set one up on my Freightliner. I did some quick calculating as far as air flow. and I found that the electric fan that I bought through summit would move as much or more air than the mechanical fan on the truck. But my truck doesn't get worked.

I just calculated the area by the cursing RPM of the engine to get cfs or how ever they rate the fans. Now the fan may run a little faster than that because of reductions in the pulley sizes but I think an electric fan will work fine. I can tell you the electric fan moves some air! I just don't know whether to push or pull the air through the radiator (if the fan was on the engine side of the radiator).

I have an extra electric fan if you'd like. Its brand new from Summit. I believe its a 16" diameter. This is the exact fan...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/flx-398

Last edited:
I'll keep that in mind. If I end up needing it, and you end up still having it, I can buy it from you if you just need it gone. I'll have to make sure I have 4" between the radiator and the grill. I dayum sure know it won't fit between the radiator and the motor. That is gonna be tiiiiiiiiIIIIIIIght.

Kewl. I'll keep that in mind. 2500 CFM should cool it....and at 17 amps! Holy Schidt. LOL

I am curious, 17amps x 12V(I assume it is 12V didn't see on the webpage) = 204 watts.
746watts=1HP
204watts/746watts=0.273 HP.

I am struggling to see this come anywhere new the airflow of the stock fan.

I'm struggling to figure out why you're comparing fan horse power...

I'm comparing air flow. I figure, 20" fan blade diameter and an engine turning 1,450 rpm at 60 mph would net 2,915 cfm. The electric fan i posted moves 2,500 cfm.

= ((pi*1.6'^2)/4)*1' = 2.01 cf*1,450 rpm = 2,915 cfm

This truck will be used a few times a year to haul rock and what-not to and from the farm. If it runs a little warm, I can always let it cool or just see how it goes. It isn't like I'm going to run the piss out of it. Something close will be fine I'm sure.

I'm struggling to figure out why you're comparing fan horse power...

I'm comparing air flow. I figure, 20" fan blade diameter and an engine turning 1,450 rpm at 60 mph would net 2,915 cfm. The electric fan i posted moves 2,500 cfm.

= ((pi*1.6'^2)/4)*1' = 2.01 cf*1,450 rpm = 2,915 cfm

Where is blade pitch, number of blades in your equation?

Last edited:
Once in my younger years I towed a 35' gooseneck with a 95 12 valve grossing 25k down the Jersey turnpike on a91* day with no engine fan at all

In my previous job we designed the machine that tested fans for Horton, they made fans from small trucks up to large locomotive fans(take upto 250hp to turn).

I remember the horton guy tell me that a 6.0l for fan at 3500rpm takes about 17hp to turn.

Also keep in mind most electric fans are rated with nothing on front of them(restriction) they drop CFM fast with very little restriction.

Is this Eaton/Fuller FS-5106A seriously only rated for 500 ft-lbs or am I missing something......'cause this inline Bro-hemouth better for chuck's sake be almost twice that. Me and this transmission are gonna have words if it doesn't have a built in safety factor of at least 2. :hehe: :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1
Back