8.3L Cummins Transplant

I haven't paid much attention but if that truck has air I would use a Horton air fan clutch, 100 times less problematic than the other types.

I have two Ford trucks with 8.3 engines, LT8000 with high mount and F800 with low mount. I'll look at them and see if the extra hub I have for a 5.9 bus engine is the same or not, don't have any extra fans. How does the fan on the 8.2 mount to the hub, also could you have taken the horse shoe mount off the 8.2 and modified it to work on the 8.3?

No. The horseshoe mounts are different. The cast mount isn't wide enough or the correct bolt pattern to use the one from the Detroit or the one that Chris sent me.

Wouldn't it just be easier to put one of these in?

You, kind sir, need your ass kicked. :hehe:

I haven't paid much attention but if that truck has air I would use a Horton air fan clutch, 100 times less problematic than the other types.

Yes, it has air. So how the hell does a fan clutch work off air? I don't even know how the normal ones work. LOL Learnt me.

Haha! Sometimes things come full circle!

The only circle you will see is my foot winding up before heading for your ass. :hehe:

My Case-IH MX240 tractor has the 8.3. The fan bolts to a spacer, then to the 4-bolt hub assembly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 0
Yes, it has air. So how the hell does a fan clutch work off air? I don't even know how the normal ones work. LOL Learnt me.

The only circle you will see is my foot winding up before heading for your ass. :hehe:

"Normal" ones work of a fluid in the hub that when gets to up in Temp it turns into more of a solid causing the fan to turn. Thats why on some of these old trucks if they sit for a while when you first start them up the fan is on because all of the fluid has sunken to the bottom of the clutch. My ol 7.3l Ford does for the first mile or so.

The hub and fan I had was electronic, the hole assy was at max 6 inches total lenghten.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

I never knew it would be such a PITA to find/spec-out a dayum fan. Jesus. It would have been easier if it was missing a crank shaft.

Wish I'd gotten numbers off of mine before shipping it

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

Here is fan setup on my 2388 combine. It has a 3" spacer and no fan clutch.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 0
Ever been on Quickserve? Usually you can get this kind of stuff and part numbers. As long as you have the right ESN.

Ever been on Quickserve? Usually you can get this kind of stuff and part numbers. As long as you have the right ESN.

This motor is a case built ag motor. The ESN on this motor doesn't show up in quick-serve. I have used Mumau.crossreference.com for everything else. LOL

If I wasn't layed up from knee surgery id check how the 8.3 in our dozer has the fan set up

I went to a later serial number than my tractor, to get you part # for complete support assembly. The support part number for items 6-10 is 87408931. The 4 mounting bolts are a M8x50mm 8.8 grade bolt. I found two different length spacers. The one in the pic is 90mm long part #A184548. A 75mm long is A194551. The fan in the pic is 237157A1. I can get you specs for spacer bolts, if you need those. If you don't have any farm salvage yards near you, let me know.

Last edited:
Thanks. I've got some feelers out to a few salvage yards but no one has called me back as of yet.

Getting ready to call Dan at Valair and order a clutch for this bad boy. :D

If you need another source, try Worthington Ag. They have several locations, but main yard is Worthington, MN.