8.3L Cummins Transplant

Not sure, but seat of pants feel by jacking them both up on the hoist I'm gonna say a hundred or two less for the 8.2? The 8.3 makes it up out of sure bulk, the 8.2 Detroit makes it up on the vast number of bull schidt accessories bolted all over it to make it barely brake 200 hp. LOL

Seriously, look at all this crap!

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6909[1].jpg
    IMG_6909[1].jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 0
Only the finest meats-n-cheeses. LOL

Looking into Cummins P/N 4942256 now. Maybe it will work.

504537d1457451810-big-block-8-9l-2011-ram-build-front-mount.jpg

Looks more of like what I need than anything I've seen. Trying to find one online.

The mount on my F-800 looks like that but I couldn't find anything on Cummins Quikserve that would give me a pic or part number.
Mine uses a direct drive hub with plastic fan and the mount is wider than a 5.9 hub mount. Hope you have some luck at the salvage yard, the complete hub and pulley setup for mine without the fan is over 600 bucks.

Fan off of a 6.7 rear gear train out of a freightliner work?

Hope you have some luck at the salvage yard, the complete hub and pulley setup for mine without the fan is over 600 bucks.

Ridiculous ain't it? I'm headed down there after I eat lunch to spend the afternoon scrounging.

Things I hope to get.

Engine mount
Correct shift level for the 6-speed
speedometer cable
Rear engine mount bushings
Stack for the passenger side if they have one
Fan setup
Maybe find some kind of air filter setup that will fit the HX-40 intake

I know they will swap me the 5-speed for the fan setup and shift lever and my goal is to get the rest of the crap tossed in the deal. ;) Maybe I can swap two wrong engine mounts for one correct one. I made a template of the holes with cardboard to take with me.

Be sure and get both rubber pads and lower steel strap for the flat front mount. It's a multi piece setup, you have the engine mounting bracket, a rubber pad that goes between the mount and cross member, then rubber pad that goes under the cross member and a steel strap under that. one or two bolts go up thru the strap, rubber pads and mount two clamp it all together. There may also be some alignment sleeves that the bolts go thru or they could be made onto the pads.

Thanks. I have all of that from the previous motor. They are in decent shape. I can reuse them I think but I'll definitely see if there are better ones that I can get a hold off.

These are the ones I have and the hardware that goes through them.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6916.jpg
    IMG_6916.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 0
Thanks. I have all of that from the previous motor. They are in decent shape. I can reuse them I think but I'll definitely see if there are better ones that I can get a hold off.

attachment.php

Boy you did pretty good. The last two motors we have pulled we weren't able to get the bolts off. Those rubber grommets tend to start on fire pretty easy!

EDIT: You're also not in Upstate NY where the DOT loves to use as much salt as they possibly can.

No, he sure isn't.

I LOVE southern equipment!!!!
Other than it's all SUNBURNT to ****
Chris

attachment.php

Double biscuit mount, that will work. At least now you wont so pressed to find all the little parts for the mount.

Been pig showin'. I'm back. They all got sifted. Maybe next year. ;)

Things I found at the truck salvage...which might I mention....is a freakin' gold mine. I could spend days and thousands in there. If you all need anything, they are very helpful. Ask for Richard in the gear shop. I think he knows every junked truck on the lot.

http://www.stewartwholesale.com/

Anyway....thing I got.

Complete fan assy. Viscous (beggers can't be choosers)

Shifter tower and stick for a 6 speed

Block off plate for a 6-bolt PTO hole (just so I don't have to keep the pump on to fit check...heavy SOB)

New speedometer cable. The old one was trashed. Looks like it got into the motor mount. No wonder I was having trouble with it.

New poly bushings for the rear motor mounts I need to build.

An old 1-3/4 x 10 input shaft from the scrap bin to use as an alignment tool for the clutch I just got from Dan at Valair.

U-joint strap kit for the yoke that came on the 6-speed.

4" chrome turn-out stack for the passenger side

I think I have enough junk to get it dang close to going but I have to make everyone of the effin motor mounts. We scoured that entire lot and none of the horseshoe mounts we found, even off the 8.3L motors are the same as this one. Must have something todo with the fact that the timing case is an ag version. I've go to help hang tin on a barn tonight then maybe I'll get to making the mounts later this week.

attachment.php

attachment.php

If anyone needs a clevis, they got piles of them. LOL

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6965[1].jpg
    IMG_6965[1].jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6964[1].jpg
    IMG_6964[1].jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6961[1].jpg
    IMG_6961[1].jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 0
1200 ft/lbs of sexiness.

attachment.php

Interesting, that is a deep dish flywheel, just like an 855.

For any flywheel you have to have turned make sure they machine the face of the flywheel along with the top of the dish.

Last edited:
Interesting, that is a deep dish flywheel, just like an 855.

For any flywheel you have to have turned make sure they machine the face of the flywheel along with the top of the dish.

Thank you for that advice. I would have never thought about it, but that makes dang good sense. Excellent info.

It's called step...any machine shop worth their salt will ask you what the spec is, or know it.

But, if they don't ask or know when you ask, go somewhere else.

Chris

Thanks. I'll have to ask Dan what the spec for his clutch is.

2-15/16"

Last edited:
Man....tell it. Went to paw-n-law's for Easter. We managed to work a few calves then I got sick. Been fightin' that crap since Sunday. I'm getting ready to start building a pedestal mount for a AN/SPS-49 radar antenna for work in my shop. We are supposed to be getting one here at the office in two weeks so I don't have the option to put that off. LOL That will occupy my time for a few days. 54" diameter 1" thk plates. Gonna be just shy of #800 and definitely give me and my tools a workout.

I'm finding it really dang hard to get started making all the motor mounts from scratch. Not really excited about it.

Back on track. Hopefully the bearing for the fan will be here soon and I think a front mount has finally been located. According to the full scale plot it should fit. Got a buddy in Ohio that actually has one too. :rockwoot::thankyou2:

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_7280[1].jpg
    IMG_7280[1].jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 0