8.3L Cummins Transplant

Kin-A! It works. The mount Mr. Mayer sent me works. I just need to go buy some long 12x1.75mm bolts during my lunch hour. :rockwoot:

I have pics but I left my phone at home this am. :bang

Once I procure two longer bolts today, the front mount is done. On to the back two. Finally getting something done.

Using the factory crossmember. Needed two more inches. I had a chunk of this 1" thick phenolic type material out of a large power distribution center. I just table sawed it and drilled two holes. Worked great.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_7523[1].jpg
    IMG_7523[1].jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7524[1].jpg
    IMG_7524[1].jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7525[1].jpg
    IMG_7525[1].jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 0
So scrap this ^^^^^^ schidty idea. As soon as the motor weight is put on the old factory mounts....they pancake to almost nothing. LOL

Found these on 4" centers to match the mount. They are UPS and will be here tomorrow. I'll just have to ditch the old factory saddle crossmember and make an almost flat one since the new mount is way shorter than the bull crap I tried up there ^^^^^. I guess the only way to learn is to fail. And THAT...was a fail. LOL

http://www.truckspring.com/products/Freightliner-Sterling-Motor-Mount-Kit-Front__MM46-62002.aspx

Father's day was use to work on one of father's projects. I just need to weld it up and get it so I can bolt it to the frame.

Much better than that rinky dink bull crap I tried first.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_7813[1].jpg
    IMG_7813[1].jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7812[1].jpg
    IMG_7812[1].jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7811[1].jpg
    IMG_7811[1].jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7810[1].jpg
    IMG_7810[1].jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 0
Looking forward to seeing this one run, and how you do the hood extension. I was also kicking around the idea of sliding the cab back about 10 inches on mine since its a flatbed.

I registered here due to this 8.3 swap thread. Very interested since I have two 88 Topkicks and I should pull an 8.3 out of a 5 ton army truck I have laying around and swap into the 88 C7000.

Welcome to Comp D, Davo. I'll be working on the rear motor mounts tonight hopefully. Got a start on them.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 0
Passenger side mount is done. Too bad the other side wasn't the exact same where I could have just cutout two. One more custom bracket to make for the driver's side.

Are they too skimpy or will they hold? 3/8" plate and 3" OD x 1/2" wall DOM just doesn't seem like enough. :hehe: I'm going to use the new poly bushings on the bottom and the old rubber washers on the top since there will only be the twist of the torque on them and not the weight of the motor and tranny.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_7878[1].jpg
    IMG_7878[1].jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7879[1].jpg
    IMG_7879[1].jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7881[1].jpg
    IMG_7881[1].jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 0
Ya that ought to do it. Youre gonna make my swap really easy :)

I hope so. That's the reason for this thread. :D

I'm calling the machine shop this morning and hopefully dropping this flywheel off tonight to have it faced and indexed or what ever you call it when they set the depth of the outer face from the clutch face. Once I get the machining done and a throw-out bearing and pilot bearing purchased, I'll be ready to set the guts back in her for good.

Right now I cleaning up old wiring in the frame that is not used and soaking all the PTO cables so they are nice and smooth. They have been bound up for years and hard to push/pull. Just killin' time for now. Maybe this next weekend I can get serious again. I also need to install the PTO pump on the tranny and fill it full of fluid once I figure out what to put in it.

Passenger side mount is done. Too bad the other side wasn't the exact same where I could have just cutout two. One more custom bracket to make for the driver's side.

Are they too skimpy or will they hold? 3/8" plate and 3" OD x 1/2" wall DOM just doesn't seem like enough. :hehe: I'm going to use the new poly bushings on the bottom and the old rubber washers on the top since there will only be the twist of the torque on them and not the weight of the motor and tranny. [/img]

I think it needs more cowbell.

Anyone know where I can get another flywheel bolt? I appear to be one bolt shy of circus. I'm ready to mount the surfaced flywheel and get the clutch from Valair put in.

Appears to be a M12x1.0x30mm. Not sure of grade but no one around here carries anything as fine as a 1.0 pitch, not even Fastenal. I just need one.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_8044[1].jpg
    IMG_8044[1].jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8045[1].jpg
    IMG_8045[1].jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 0
Flexplate or flywheel?

You sure know how to make a guy feel dumb as schidt. LOL Same thing ain't it?

I don't know.....the big heavy thing that has the machined step in it the clutch bolts to that YOU send me. The one with the starter teeth in it. Bolts to the crank. :D

Last edited:
Ok, as long as it's big and heavy....I had a brain fart and was thinking automatic for a minute.

Hang tight
Chris

EDIT>>>

I can get them 40mm long easily. Let me go check my pile of 8.3's and see if I have any 30mm long.

Last edited: