8.3L Cummins Transplant

Hell no. Without Chris and Jeff I'd still be trying to remove the front bumper. LOL

Yeah once you get the righty tighty lefty loosy idea down it gets much easier. Luckily you married a smart woman who can remind you of right and left.

Yeah once you get the righty tighty lefty loosy idea down it gets much easier. Luckily you married a smart woman who can remind you of right and left.

No chit. I had a hard time picking that one up myself. Used a torch for years before I learned to crank the wrench the correct direction.

I couldn't remember if you ever figured out your ECN number. A friend of mine has an 8.3L in a Ford truck and broke #5 injector line. His engine tag is missing. I looked up a line from an 8.3L in a Case-IH MX200 farm tractor, but don't know if it is the correct line. Thanks.

I couldn't remember if you ever figured out your ECN number. A friend of mine has an 8.3L in a Ford truck and broke #5 injector line. His engine tag is missing. I looked up a line from an 8.3L in a Case-IH MX200 farm tractor, but don't know if it is the correct line. Thanks.

This engine does have an ECN, however, it is a CASE ECN and it doesn't show up in Cummins' Quick Serve I don't think. PM Snedge, I'd imaging he can get you what you need. 8.3 is an 8.3 from most of the stuff we have figured out. The lines might be different for sure, but if you have a picture of it, I'm sure someone will know.

Yes, PM Snedge, I thought I had a decent cheat sheet of Cummins ESN numbers for parts ordering....boy was I wrong!

You'll probably need the pump type/model, and whether it has an cooled intake manifold to get the right lines.

Chris

Holy freakin' hell.....it costs $175+ for 5 gallons of CD50 synthetic oil for the Eaton? Jesus Lousie..... Can I run sweet tea or something? 1 gallon jugs are $54....so three of them is $162. Wow. I can't wait for the price of oil to get back up. LOL

It had better come with a kiss on the neck and a tummy tickle for that price.

Manual Synchromesh fluid would only cost around $72.

It that a stupid thing to do since it's not synchronized? What do yall use?

I just bought gear lube for my tractor and thought i killed the bank, guess i should not complain about $137 for 10 gallon....

I just bought gear lube for my tractor and thought i killed the bank, guess i should not complain about $137 for 10 gallon....

It's retarded. I figured I'd have about $3000 in this thing when done. Shidt....I'll have $600 just in effin fluids and filters. Pretty sure I didn't budget that. LOL :bang

50W synthetic trans oil.

It is fairly expensive. I think I paid around $200 for a 5 gallon pail.

It's retarded. I figured I'd have about $3000 in this thing when done. Shidt....I'll have $600 just in effin fluids and filters. Pretty sure I didn't budget that. LOL :bang

Yeah I kinda forgot to budget for oil in my tractor repair, still cant complain, bought a $2500 dollar tractor for $1500 and only have $300 in parts and oil.

Dude you owned a truck with a Detroit and didn't already have a $3000 per year oil budget?:hehe:

This engine does have an ECN, however, it is a CASE ECN and it doesn't show up in Cummins' Quick Serve I don't think. PM Snedge, I'd imaging he can get you what you need. 8.3 is an 8.3 from most of the stuff we have figured out. The lines might be different for sure, but if you have a picture of it, I'm sure someone will know.

I have a 93 F-800 and 94 L8000 both have 8.3's that I can get you the ECN's from.

Holy freakin' hell.....it costs $175+ for 5 gallons of CD50 synthetic oil for the Eaton? Jesus Lousie..... Can I run sweet tea or something? 1 gallon jugs are $54....so three of them is $162. Wow. I can't wait for the price of oil to get back up. LOL

It's came down some, back in the 90's when I first started using Eaton synthetic 50 it was $250 for a 5 gallon bucket, when I sold my last semi in 05 I could get aftermarket syn 50 for $200 a bucket. Haven't bought any in several years.

Manual Synchromesh fluid would only cost around $72.

It that a stupid thing to do since it's not synchronized? What do yall use?

Before going to synthetic 50 Eaton was recommending SAE50 motor oil in their transmissions.

OK, Where did you get the cheap oil at? Last week JD hyguard for my skid steer cost me $91 per 5 gal and CNH UTF for my tractor was $87 a bucket. I did find hydraulic oil for my old tractors at Rual King for $21 a 5 gal bucket but they didn't have any of the newer UTF in stock when I was there.

Last edited:
Dude you owned a truck with a Detroit and didn't already have a $3000 per year oil budget?:hehe:

What gave you the idea that I actually checked/changed oil that POS? :hehe:

Anywho.....NAPA has this currently for $133.00 for 5 gallons. Comes with a free handle on the bottom which I really like. :D

attachment.php

Meets Eaton PS-164.

http://syngardoil.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/PDS-SynGard-Manual-Transmission-Fluid-SAE-50.pdf

Boom.

"SynGard Full Synthetic Heavy Duty SAE 50 Transmission Fluid is designed for use in manual transmissions where non-EP gear oils are specified. Martin Lubricants recommends this product for use in applications where the OEM specifies a fluid providing performance capability comparable to the Eaton Roadranger® requirements. "

I still got lubed up and stump broke paying over a hundred dollars for 5 gallons of slick schidt (which is effin' ridiculous) but at least I feel better knowing the initial price I saw online was $175.

Attachments

• SEA50.jpg
    SEA50.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
What gave you the idea that I actually checked/changed oil that POS? :hehe:

Anywho.....NAPA has this currently for $133.00 for 5 gallons. Comes with a free handle on the bottom which I really like. :D

To bad you wont be able to use it! Unless you're going to try to pour it through the floor into the shifter tower.

I've always used a hand pump on a 5 gallon pail.

To bad you wont be able to use it! Unless you're going to try to pour it through the floor into the shifter tower.

I've always used a hand pump on a 5 gallon pail.

Hell yes I'm going to pour it in the top! I'm going to fill it before I stab it. No sense in this stand on your head bull crap. ;)

It's still outside the truck. I just got the clutch put in last night. I'd like to mount the transmission and stab it all in one swoop if I can figure out how to handle the weight. That scrap input shaft they truck place gave me out of the recycle bin worked great as an alignment tool.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_8230[1].jpg
    IMG_8230[1].jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hell yes I'm going to pour it in the top! I'm going to fill it before I stab it. No sense in this stand on your head bull crap. ;)

It's still outside the truck. I just got the clutch put in last night. I'd like to mount the transmission and stab it all in one swoop if I can figure out how to handle the weight. That scrap input shaft they truck place gave me out of the recycle bin worked great as an alignment tool.
Hate to give away a secret but if that trans has the same size hole in the bottom as a big truck it's WAY easier to put a clutch in like a torque converter. Slip the clutch on the input shaft and bolt the bell to the engine. Then bolt the pressure plate to the flywheel. You'll throw all the alignment tools in the dumpster after you do one in a semi that way.

Hate to give away a secret but if that trans has the same size hole in the bottom as a big truck it's WAY easier to put a clutch in like a torque converter. Slip the clutch on the input shaft and bolt the bell to the engine. Then bolt the pressure plate to the flywheel. You'll throw all the alignment tools in the dumpster after you do one in a semi that way.

I've thought about this. Your able to get all of the pressure plate bolts tightened and torqued properly doing this? Turn the engine over as you tighten?

We fought for probably an hour and a half or two hours putting the trans in swapping the clutch in my Freightliner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk