8.3L Cummins Transplant

Yeah, I don't think on like a Volvo with a hydraulic clutch you could get to all the clutch bolts...idk though it def has me thinking for the next time I do a clutch

Yeah, I don't think on like a Volvo with a hydraulic clutch you could get to all the clutch bolts...idk though it def has me thinking for the next time I do a clutch

We're talking real trucks here... Who drive a Volvo....

All I could think when I read that was....a lavender Volvo..... :hehe:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNvuiuaD7xk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNvuiuaD7xk[/ame]

I've thought about this. Your able to get all of the pressure plate bolts tightened and torqued properly doing this? Turn the engine over as you tighten?

We fought for probably an hour and a half or two hours putting the trans in swapping the clutch in my Freightliner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep no problem. Get 2 started then just tighten as you go. Put a Crower in one if you want to fight with the transmission.
a3d3bf2cb5646ec736a274d146b20afe.jpg

Yep no problem. Get 2 started then just tighten as you go. Put a Crower in one if you want to fight with the transmission.

Maybe someday we'll fight the good fight. My trans is all set up to flip the cross shaft and fork...

Well...I really am making an effort to get done....but every single night I find more schidt that I don't have. Apparently the PTO pump needs shims to set backlash.....'cause everyone has those laying around. Off to google more parts. :(

Chris....I apologize for that text at midnight last night.....that was meant for the wife and you were the last person I texted that evening. Sorry. If you don't mind getting those groceries for me that would be super. :hehe:

Chris....I apologize for that text at midnight last night.....that was meant for the wife and you were the last person I texted that evening. Sorry. If you don't mind getting those groceries for me that would be super. :hehe:

New level of rude. LOL

New level of rude. LOL

No lie. She told me to send her a list so she wouldn't forget what to buy today.......I hit send and then I said "oh, ****. That just went to Chris." We laughed as I heard him blocking my number. LOL

Well...I really am making an effort to get done....but every single night I find more schidt that I don't have. Apparently the PTO pump needs shims to set backlash.....'cause everyone has those laying around. Off to google more parts. :(

Just shimmed gaskets! any truck parts house should stock a kit of them

Just shimmed gaskets! any truck parts house should stock a kit of them

I'll probably go to Blumenthals in OKC with the entire SOB tomorrow afternoon. Bill tells me the 5005 and 5106 have different gears and he wants to make sure everything is correct for me. He has all the shims and junk and he can possibly swap ratio gears if we need to. Add that to the budget. LOL

Normally, I would have been up and responded something witty....but last night I didn't even hear the darn phone.

How much more after the transmission?

Chris

Normally, I would have been up and responded something witty....but last night I didn't even hear the darn phone.

How much more after the transmission?

Chris

Once I get the PTO mounted up (wanted to do it outside while standing instead of upside down under the truck) I'll mount the motor and the engine back in the truck for good.

Then it is all about plumbing the cooling system, air, fuel lines, oil pressure transducer, speedo, power steering, etc. Nothing more than a good week if someone was here that had a clue and didn't have to learn every single thing as they go.

Looks like the PTO may be a Chelsea 381 Series..and the pump is a Vickers..which of course is obsolete with the wrong gear for this FS5106. So, Blumenthal in OKC is looking into finding a used gear or replacement used PTO. They will try to get it all matched up, gear lash set, and put new gaskets on everything. Hopefully next week I can pick it up and stick in it the truck and not worry about pulling it out again later because something is wrong. I just dropped it off and told them to keep it under $500. :D

You can't keep a lugnut under $500 at blumenthals. Good luck LOL

Ya, no lie, brother. They told me they would like to disassemble entirely, clean , paint, prep surfaces, and replace the three synchronizers since they had some wear on them. I got their $1415.15 estimate down to $596. They are going to remove all the covers, clean the surfaces, replace all gaskets and input/output seals. Then they are going to replace the PTO gear with the correct one, mount, and set back-lash. It told them I'd spend $600 on it as long as it didn't drip a single drop of fluid after I put it in the truck. I hate leaky schidt. New synchs would be great and all but for something I'm going to drive about 500 miles a year it ain't worth another grand right now. Besides, I match RPM's pretty well anyway. I'm not too worried about it not shifting. :D

Got the engine stabbed back in the truck last night. I needed the lift for other stuff.

I'm a little confused, are they redoing the trans or just fitting the pto to the trans with proper gear ratio. I ask this because Chelsea 381 series pto doesn't have synchronizers and a complete new pto can be gotten for less than a grand.

I'm a little confused, are they redoing the trans or just fitting the pto to the trans with proper gear ratio. I ask this because Chelsea 381 series pto doesn't have synchronizers and a complete new pto can be gotten for less than a grand.

They were wanting to replace the sync's in the tranny, not the PTO. The only thing about the PTO was that the gear mated to the old tranny and it needed a re-gear to mate to the new one. At least that is what they told me and I have no knowledge to not believe them.

Just picked up the transmission this morning (I had typed "tranny" but knew that wasn't a good choice of words on here). A six hundred dollar bill. All clean and ready for install.