911 I fear I may have lost an engine

Ok, smart ass, tell me what's wrong with the injector?

Attachments

• IMG_8604-400.jpg
    IMG_8604-400.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 90
did you pull all 6?

all that white smoke and black smoke is coming from an injector leaking fuel in the cylinder, just cuz a laser thermometer said that one is running cooler, that doesnt mean the problem is in that cylinder. they are easy to pull, pull all 6 and inspect them. if there is no visible damage then i would have a local injection shop pop test them, could be a broken spring inside causing excessive fuel

If he is such a smart ass then why are you bothering to ask for help on here?
Not to mention, why did/are you continuing to drive a truck knowing that something is wrong with it?

What you need to do is go out and run that truck at WIDE OPEN THROTTLE til it dies, then you will know for sure whats wrong with it.

At that point you can stop speculating and just replace the entire motor and stop bothering the nice people on here who have given you great advice that you are continuing to ignore.

Who said anything about me continuing to drive the truck? I havn't driven the damn thing in several weeks! Like I said above THE TRUCK IS MOVING ANY WHERE!!!!! Read a freekin' post before inserting your foot. He's a smart ass because he's acting like one. He knew for sure that it was the injector, and the injector is pictured. Hmmm... I wonder what else it could be?

Who said anything about me continuing to drive the truck? I havn't driven the damn thing in several weeks! Like I said above THE TRUCK IS MOVING ANY WHERE!!!!! Read a freekin' post before inserting your foot. He's a smart ass because he's acting like one. He knew for sure that it was the injector, and the injector is pictured. Hmmm... I wonder what else it could be?

One of the other injectors. I know it's been a while since you posted, and obviously you aren't familiar with troubleshooting a diesel engine. (and I mean that nicely).

Take it with a grain and do what they are instructing you to do. Start simple and work your way up.

I drove on a rear end that was missing two pinion teeth because I thought it was the transfer case. Sometimes things aren't glaringly obvious.

Pull each of your injectors. inspect them. Take them to someone who can pop test them. While they are out, Take a rubber tipped blow nozzel and put air into each cylinder through the injector hole. Make sure the valves are closed. (slack in both rockers) if at that point you hear air going somewhere other than back out past your nozzle, you have a mechanical problem. If the hole is good, the air will block back when you remove the nozzle.

With the injectors out it should be very simple to turn the engine by hand and have somone watch the rockers.

sound like a compression problem. from the loud huffing out exhaust and intake. my truck sounded very familiar.. injectors checked out fine. but compression check didnt... Had burnt #3 piston Good luck.. Expect the worse!

sound like a compression problem. from the loud huffing out exhaust and intake. my truck sounded very familiar.. injectors checked out fine. but compression check didnt... Had burnt #3 piston Good luck.. Expect the worse!

Yep, definetly bleeding off compression. The compression test proved that the problem was internal. The excessive valve lash points to a burned or bent exhaust valve. Why I'm hearing it from the intake too has me scratching my head. Per the boards advice, I'll pull the rest of the injectors and test them, but I'm guessing that they're good. My guess is that my pump is bad. I'm thinking that when the filter went bad that either it sucked air and cavitated or starved the pump for fuel.

I did my business and drove 30 miles to my shop, keeping the speed down to around 55mph.
I drove another 15 miles to his shop, this time at 70mph.
I noticed as I drove that my truck was getting smokier. In fact, now I could see black smoke in th rear mirror when I was in a flat cruise. When I turned off the highway the truck was idling worse. While I was waiting at the light blue smoke started to come out of the exhaust. When I went to rev up the engine to let the clutch out, I was met with a very loud successive popping from the exhaust. Sounded like a shot gun on full auto.
Last night, hoping that the timing slipped I did take the truck out. The miss is bad enough a low speeds that there is some additional turbo lag. Once the turbo does lite, the engine is making decent power, but I'd say that it's down about 100hp. The miss continues all the way through the rpm range and it's very, very smokey. The engine does have some reluctance, but it did rev to 3200rpm before I lifted.
Driving the truck home from my friends shop and I was seeing very high exhaust temps (800 degrees post turbo, no load) and very low boost (4psi and falling at a flat 50mph cruise). I could actually see the compression leak back into the intake because I was getting a 1 psi blip on the boost gauge.

I rest my case.

I rest my case.

So I take it that you, not knowing just what was wrong with your truck, would have pulled over on the side of the road and prattled for AAA to come and save you? This driving (dispite your accusation) occured in about an hour while I was trying to diagnose my problem. I presume that wasn't soon enough for you? Or have I driven the truck too much in the last couple of weeks to satisfy you?

Oh, and the idea to build the boost was asked by a member on this board. I had nursed the truck until he asked this question. I wonder who may have asked?

*bdh*

So I take it that you, not knowing just what was wrong with your truck, would have pulled over on the side of the road and prattled for AAA to come and save you? This driving (dispite your accusation) occured in about an hour while I was trying to diagnose my problem. I presume that wasn't soon enough for you? Or have I driven the truck too much in the last couple of weeks to satisfy you?

Oh, and the idea to build the boost was asked by a member on this board. I had nursed the truck until he asked this question. I wonder who may have asked?

*bdh*

I believe that was me...and you didn't have a freaking clue about what happened, and very early on in this thread we all thought it was a simple timing problem...that's when I suggested that.

I've had customers like you...the ones that call in and tell me what's wrong, and then proceed to tell me what they think is causing it, and how to fix it, even though I've seen a hundred times what the problem actually is.

You've had some very smart people on here trying to help you...good luck...I'm done trying to help someone that doesn't want to be helped!

Chris

One of the other injectors. I know it's been a while since you posted, and obviously you aren't familiar with troubleshooting a diesel engine. (and I mean that nicely).

Take it with a grain and do what they are instructing you to do. Start simple and work your way up.

I drove on a rear end that was missing two pinion teeth because I thought it was the transfer case. Sometimes things aren't glaringly obvious.

Pull each of your injectors. inspect them. Take them to someone who can pop test them. While they are out, Take a rubber tipped blow nozzel and put air into each cylinder through the injector hole. Make sure the valves are closed. (slack in both rockers) if at that point you hear air going somewhere other than back out past your nozzle, you have a mechanical problem. If the hole is good, the air will block back when you remove the nozzle.

With the injectors out it should be very simple to turn the engine by hand and have somone watch the rockers.

Got the other injectors out today. They all looked Ok. One was wet, but I think some fuel puddled around the hole and ran down the injector when I pulled it. I'll be headed to a shop tomorrow to have them tested.

Talked to the shop for a while earlier today and they're saying that it's definetly possible that the bad filter could have starved the pump for fuel. Gaud, I hope it's not the pump. Everybody's been quoting 12-1500 for a rebuild. Anybody have any problems taking a modified pump (governor springs, etc.) in for repair?

I'll do the pressure test you requested tomorrow. I figured that rather than barring the engine over, I'd just release the rockers. It'll be faster with one person, and I'm already convinced the head has to come off. I'll post some resultes when I get them.

Got the other injectors out today. They all looked Ok. One was wet, but I think some fuel puddled around the hole and ran down the injector when I pulled it. I'll be headed to a shop tomorrow to have them tested.

Talked to the shop for a while earlier today and they're saying that it's definetly possible that the bad filter could have starved the pump for fuel. Gaud, I hope it's not the pump. Everybody's been quoting 12-1500 for a rebuild. Anybody have any problems taking a modified pump (governor springs, etc.) in for repair?

I'll do the pressure test you requested tomorrow. I figured that rather than barring the engine over, I'd just release the rockers. It'll be faster with one person, and I'm already convinced the head has to come off. I'll post some resultes when I get them.

The only real reason I wanted you to this was to see if you had air going into the crank case or into the intake/ exhaust. Lets you be a little more specific as to what you have going on. Also, bringing each hole to TDC is going to let you know if you have a valve sticking down. ( I remember reading some mention of this in this thread but don't remember what was said) the lash will be excessive or insufficient on one with a damaged valve.

The only real reason I wanted you to this was to see if you had air going into the crank case or into the intake/ exhaust. Lets you be a little more specific as to what you have going on. Also, bringing each hole to TDC is going to let you know if you have a valve sticking down. ( I remember reading some mention of this in this thread but don't remember what was said) the lash will be excessive or insufficient on one with a damaged valve.

Yea, the exhaust valve lash was twice the design limits. I'm guessing that if the valve isn't burned, that it's definetly bent. I have a large spring compressor, so I'll be able to pull the valve and check it.

If the piston is damaged, it's not bad enough to be pressuring the crankcase. Then again, you'd need some pretty serious damage to get that much blow-by.

Guess we'll know tomorrow...

cut your oil filter open and check for metal. if your drain plug is magnetic check it to. did you check your push rods to see if they are bent? the metal thing may be a far cry but it's added insurance. on cat engines its a good sign of a cam failure. i dont have much little cummins experience but valves just dont come up bent. the only way you could bend a valve is if it smacks the piston. i assume your running the stock valve train? at this point the head neads to come off!

I bet he didn't

No pressed in seats in 12v's?? I posted that because I recently had 2 seats drop (both exhaust) and experienced similar symptoms. Regardless, I think he should remove the head because there is an obvious problem in his valvetrain.

12v's and early 24v's don't have pressed in seats.

You know, it's been years since I was last inside this engine, but I was swearing that it didn't have a pressed in seats.

The idea of a bent push rod is an excellent idea. I'll check it too. However, I do know that valve stems do warp when they are over heated. If the heat is concentrated on one side that will definetly warp the valve.

for what its worth, I bent a pushrod in my 24v and developed a definite pop thru both the intake and the exhaust. however it did not cause any of that smoking etc that you have.

also now that i think back, the night i bent the pushrod, at higher rpm my motor sounded exactly like yours did in that video with the very loud popping/machine gun fire LOL.

Back