911 I fear I may have lost an engine

We're guessing that the hole in the filter was sucking air. Too lean, too long, too bad. Honestly, other than the truck having a scootch longer crank time, I never noticed a running problem. What also baffles me is that the valve failed when I was in a flat cruise. I would have expected to see if fail under acceleration.

Diesel can't bee too lean from a fuel leak...it would either be running, or not. Now, it may lose power from a fuel leak, but won't burn a valve.

I don't think I've ever seen a diesel burn a valve by running to clean and lean!
Chris

Yea, I know how you're thinking. You lean out a diesel and the exhaust temps should go down. Yet, I know of no other way to explain the valve going bad. I mean, what if only cylinder #1 was running lean? It would bother me to have the pump be the cause of the problem. If it is and I don't fix that too, then I could burn another one. Replacing valves is a rather expensive method of diagnosing a pump problem.

A fuel leak can't cause 1 cylinder to go lean unless it took out a plunger in the pump...

How many diesels does this guy work on?
Chris

That's why I'm thinking that my pump may be dying too.

Minimal, he's just a full time mechanic friend that I asked for a favor from. I had a suspicion that I had a bad valve and I wanted a second opinion. The low compression simply confirms that the engine needs to come apart. For a pump diagnois, I'll have to take the truck to another shop. Everything else after that is just us brain storming what may have caused the valve to fail. The closest performance diesel shop is Huckstorf, but frankly I don't trust them. The've done me wrong several times in the past and I need to keep the lessons in mind. Garrett is a couple of hours away, but my truck won't make it that far and I don't know what his skills are for diagnosing pump problems.

I shot some video...
YouTube - MVI 8566
YouTube - MVI 8568
YouTube - MVI 8567
YouTube - MVI 8568

Driving the truck home from my friends shop and I was seeing very high exhaust temps (800 degrees post turbo, no load) and very low boost (4psi and falling at a flat 50mph cruise). I could actually see the compression leak back into the intake because I was getting a 1 psi blip on the boost gauge.

Sounds like a fluffer! Did you pull injector #1? may have broke a piece off the nozzle and it stuck under the valve or damaged the seat. Pull the head and you'll find the problem

Sounds like a fluffer! Did you pull injector #1? may have broke a piece off the nozzle and it stuck under the valve or damaged the seat. Pull the head and you'll find the problem

He nailed it right on the head! Literally!

I'll bet that the #1 injector tip failed and injector fragments damaged a valve. If you keep driving with that blown injector, your going to completely wash down that cylinder and mix a bunch of fuel into the oil.

You could spend 250 dollars on a used injector, used valve, and new headgasket or ruin the whole motor and be out 2-4K.

Stop Driving The Truck!!!

At a minimum, pull the #1 injector and inspect it. It's a 10 minute job for a gasser mechanic LOL

quit listening to the gasser mechanic and listen to the boys who know the cummins.... pull that F'n head and have a look.... speculating and running it are going to cost you more time and money.

pulling the head is easier then pulling the motor

just do it.

and check the timing on that pump

Too Lean? NOT

We're guessing that the hole in the filter was sucking air. Too lean, too long, too bad. Honestly, other than the truck having a scootch longer crank time, I never noticed a running problem. What also baffles me is that the valve failed when I was in a flat cruise. I would have expected to see if fail under acceleration.

:umno:

Diesels are a lean burn engine by design. It can't run too lean and burn components like a Gasser will. When they get to lean the combustion process stops and a diesel will quit running.

I'll bet that the #1 injector tip failed and injector fragments damaged a valve. If you keep driving with that blown injector, your going to completely wash down that cylinder and mix a bunch of fuel into the oil.

Anybody have a pic of a injector with this damage? Yes, I know that a oil change is in order.

Looks like there were a bunch of posts that I missed. Yes, I havn't been driving the truck. After I got it to my shop, it's been parked. It also looks like I posted one of the videos twice. Here is the correct link: YouTube - MVI 8570 What would cause the loud "crack" sound? A late flame that's extending past the valve?

Engine is coming apart on Thursday. Not looking forward to it because the job is hard and I'll have to pull all the head studs. I'll also have to buy a torque wrench because my old one died and my new wrench won't live with a pipe on it. In the mean time, I need to get some parts ordered. For the life of me, I can't remember who I got my fire rings from. They're a shop in northern Indiana that specializes in the Cummins pullers. I'm pretty sure that it's not Scheid. Anybody?

Anybody have a pic of a injector with this damage? Yes, I know that a oil change is in order.

Looks like there were a bunch of posts that I missed. Yes, I havn't been driving the truck. After I got it to my shop, it's been parked. It also looks like I posted one of the videos twice. Here is the correct link: YouTube - MVI 8570 What would cause the loud "crack" sound? A late flame that's extending past the valve?

Engine is coming apart on Thursday. Not looking forward to it because the job is hard and I'll have to pull all the head studs. I'll also have to buy a torque wrench because my old one died and my new wrench won't live with a pipe on it. In the mean time, I need to get some parts ordered. For the life of me, I can't remember who I got my fire rings from. They're a shop in northern Indiana that specializes in the Cummins pullers. I'm pretty sure that it's not Scheid. Anybody?

What are you tearing down? Have you pulled the injector like Watson asked?

Oh yeah, why don't you pull TWO injectors and compare them, maybe even post a picture...I'll bet we could tell you what's wrong quicker than you could call that douchenozzle of a mechanic that told you a leaky fuel filter could burn a valve in a diesel!

Chris

I was just going to pull the injectors and head at the same time. I havn't pulled the injector yet because I have to move the truck into the shop.

I'll bet we could tell you what's wrong quicker than you could call that douchenozzle of a mechanic that told you a leaky fuel filter could burn a valve in a diesel!Chris

That was more me brain storming on the board and not explaining myself correctly than his diagnosis. He's a good mechanic. A better mechanic than I'm a linguist. Just let it go.

my first thought when i read the first post was injector tip is missing. seen the same symptoms in a 24v also.

however after all that additional driving after the problem started, you will be lucky if you dont have a burnt piston and other issues.

good luck with it.

I was just going to pull the injectors and head at the same time. I havn't pulled the injector yet because I have to move the truck into the shop.

Yeah...I rest my case.

That was more me brain storming on the board and not explaining myself correctly than his diagnosis. He's a good mechanic. A better mechanic than I'm a linguist. Just let it go.

No problem...I'll let it go...it's like you didn't listen to a single word of advice anyone gave you on here. I hope we aren't getting an influx of Cummins Forum users...

Chris

Back