911 I fear I may have lost an engine

It's just me, but I would spend the money on something that I knew what I had in front of me when I was finished, rather than to inheret someones problems. Not always that case, but even If I bought a "good" engine, I'd be inside it before it ever went in my truck

Shoot a PM to Snedge (Jeff) and see if he has any leads that might help you out. Also I noticed in one of your earlyer post that you said this was a street truck? Imo I would have o-ringed the head instead of fireringing, but thats just me. O-rings are ALOT less tempremental, and if ya pop a HG you just pick one up and go. Good Luck on the reuild.

Lynn

Shoot a PM to Snedge (Jeff) and see if he has any leads that might help you out. Also I noticed in one of your earlyer post that you said this was a street truck? Imo I would have o-ringed the head instead of fireringing, but thats just me. O-rings are ALOT less tempremental, and if ya pop a HG you just pick one up and go. Good Luck on the reuild.

Lynn

Leads on a used motor or leads for a builder?

Leads on a used motor or leads for a builder?

Depending on what your looking for, He can get you a complete rebuild kit at a reasonable price, or he may know of a few built engines for sale.

Lynn

Had a good conversation with Van Haisley yesterday. 5+ years ago, it was Haisley machine that grooved my head and supplied me with the fire rings. My engine has been together long enough that it's become something of a relic. Man, things have evolved since then. Basically, Van was saying that the first grooves that they were cutting were boxed shaped, but that they've since gone to a rounded cutter which holds the fire ring better. He feels that time and the shape of the old groove is what cause the rings to fail. His recommendation is to re-deck the head (already cut at .020), machine for the new grooves and then fly cut the pistons for valve clearance. Sounds like they've also made some improvements in the head gasket design as it now locates the fire rings. The old method of hoping the ring will stick to the head when you drop it on the block was a PIA. He's going to work up a couple of prices, proably with them doing the machine work and me assembling the engine.

The number #1 injector was partially clogged. It was not atomizing the fuel correctly. Had more of a stream than a spray pattern. That was the only injector that was damaged. Proably should still have the pump checked out.

dude if i were you, do what i did and ditch the fire rings, i had 2 sets fail on me in less than 20k miles total of each set, im lucky i didn't have damage like you did. have orings installed, you be thankful that you did. orings are better suited for street use, and mild boost conditions, 70psi and below. the gasket is not comprimised by cutting out the stock crush ring, and there little chance that the oring will fail and crack unlike the fire ring. i hate to say this but i think you are going to need to find a new/used head, the head you have has already been cut .20thns., and you cannot take much more off, if any at all. i was told that the max spec was .50thns. for a B engine head, but the thickest gasket that you can get is a .20 over, and you are already there. that means that your compression ratio is going to be more than stock. what i would then be concerned about is the piston to head clearance, you would definately need to flycut the pistons for valve clearance, and most likely even have the tops shaved. by the time that you spend the money on that for all 6 pistons, that money could be used twoards the purchase of a new head. now it is hard to tell the extent of the damage to the pistons in the picture, but to me it looks like tha they have had the pieces of the fire ring smashed into them from hitting the head, those pistons would not be reused in my engine if i were to build it, period. even after them being shaved, the aluminum has been stressed, and there would always be that thought in the back of your mind... how long are they going to last?? the last thing you need is a piston failure, and then needing to find a block. be smart about this, replace those 2 pistons, the other 4 should be in good shape, look them over thouroughly. have the bores checked, some new crosshatch, and put new pistons in, and forget about it.

Wes

Back