92-97 Ford/12 Valve swap Questions

NCOVEY

More projects than brains
I have a problem on my conversion. Here is a link to it.
http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14595
I bought motor mounts from fordcummins.com about a year and a half ago. (I know, I am slow.) Here is the problem, I set the engine in the truck using the mounts, and it appears to be too far forward. There is approximately 2.5 inches between the firewall, and the rear valve cover. Where the engine sits now, there is no way the mechanical fan will clear the radiator, which is the factory 4 core diesel radiator from the Ford. You can see the mount bolted to the side of the block in one of the pictures I posted. I called fordcummins.com, and asked them if something was wrong with the set up. Their recommendation was to re-drill the holes to move it back. WRONG. There is not enough room to move it back on the mount or the frame. The other suggestion was to buy the "New and Improved mount", with a previous customer discount. Appreciated, but not enough if I wasted $260 on these mounts.
What I was wondering, would anyone happen to have pictures from their conversion showing the clearance between the the firewall, and the fan and radiator. Also some pictures of how your mounts set would be appreciated. I am wanting to make sure I haven't got something screwed up before I discuss this with them a little more intensely. Thanks, Nicholas

we put a 12 valve cummins in my bro's 99 chevy obs, we got our parts from ken at autoworld(great people), i love the swaps; anyways i would suggest you bolt a steel plate to the engine block on both sides and mark and drill the the plates so you can bolt the mounts 1 1/2 inches forward to the plates.

Good suggestion Dmax, I may end up doing something like that, if I can't get fordcummins to resolve this. These were supposed drop in mounts, so that is what I wanted them to do. I am going to be pretty hacked if I wasted $260 for something that I could have built myself. I bought them to save myself a little bit of time and headache.-Nicholas

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2600247280101250500GDkqIr

hope that link works?

If it does there is some photo of mine. I had to make 2 cuts and fold a lip under on my older ford. But other than that it was around and 1" or two between the firewall just enough to get the valve cover off. Actually had to take #5 valve cover off before I could get #6 off. Had an electric fan on there so never had issues with mechanical fan. I knew it would be to close and didn't want to chance having something spinning.

Looks like I may be going the self fabrication route also. These are starting to really aggravate me.

I know I wasn't totally happy with fordcummins, but I still like my 12v

Trapper, I am guessing this is on your '99 by your signature, what kind of problems did you run into?

NIck, PM dieselwrencher. he is in the finishing stages of a 92 2wd conversion, i know he made his own motor mounts using the ford mounts. and has it set up to beable to pull the motor straight out of the truck.

Will do, I appreciate the info. I will send him a PM and see if I can bug him for some info and pics.Thanks -Nicholas

Biggest problem was waiting on parts, but after getting everything together , trouble shooting the trans controller that didn't even work right so no return policy dosen't make me happy, If it dosen't work I wouldn't have sold it to anyone. And The 12v is pretty easy eletrical wise. Just take your time with the wiring so it looks good. To bad your so far away, I would give you a hand. Let me know if I can help.

Thanks Trapper, I appreciate the offer. 2 weeks and 1 day, no replies from FC. Great service right there.

I as well have had no luck with the fordcummins parts. Luckily there are better options. I would say you will end up eating those fc mounts. Cut them up or hang them on the wall as a reminder of how great they are! LOL

what rubber isolators did you buy? if they are the 93 dodge ones, you can rotate the isolators to get the desired location. i mounted mine so far back, i had to cut the cowl slightly. i probably 6 inches or more up front, but still using electric fan. electric fan is a better route.

i got more pics, but i can't figure out how to upload them here.

i will buy those mounts from you to.

Attachments

• IMG_1035.jpg
    IMG_1035.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 38
Here are some pics of DieselWrencher's conversion

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0277.jpg

The rest can be found here:
http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x155/Dieselwrencher/?start=all

Diesel Wrencher, I am about 40 miles north of KC. Very nice truck.

JoeServo, I used the same isolators you did, it just won't reposition as far back as I need. I used the offsets to get the proper clearance around the oil pan. I will probably sell the FC mounts, but I would like to get the engine nailed down where I want it before I do so.

BowtiedCTD, thanks for the pictures and the link. That truck is sharp.

NCOVEY said:
Diesel Wrencher, I am about 40 miles north of KC. Very nice truck.

JoeServo, I used the same isolators you did, it just won't reposition as far back as I need. I used the offsets to get the proper clearance around the oil pan. I will probably sell the FC mounts, but I would like to get the engine nailed down where I want it before I do so.

BowtiedCTD, thanks for the pictures and the link. That truck is sharp.

i did drill new holes in mine, but in the next one i am doing now i will try with the exiting ones.

i will get pictures of how much room i have up front. it is WAY more than the pics above.

I used the AutoWorld Quad mounts and they fit good, but now I know that I can change the offset of the mounts to move the driveline forward or backward (mine was moved 2" rearward) and I still have 2+" between the fan and rad..

I have heard a lot a good things about Destroked too. I'm telling you the 12v is the best upgrade for a Ford. I wish I would have saved my money in the first place and did this convertion before my motor spit a rod. NCOVEY are you going to build a motor or install it then do mods? Oh don't forget to plug off that back freeze plug on the 12v because if you blow it its almost impossible to get to it.