99 FL60 mutt/conversion/repower project build

You put a rack plug in it also?

No.. I take it, it allows for more travel of said fuel rack?

The max travel kit came with a 30-35# spring.. and seeing I'm still under 30# boost... Idk if I'm at full travel of the AFC yet or not, let all one rack travel

Didn't get a chance to pull the pump and have it bench flowed or even timing bumped like I wanted..

Either way.. it's definitely better than when it was stock..

I’d suggest timing it at the minimum. Should net you some mileage if set right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'll get there lol
Stock is 11° figured I'd bump it to 16-17°

Sounds about right to me. Not real familiar with the 8.3’s but surely it’s about the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Good starting point... Chris has mentioned the 12v 8.3 are usually 16° in the tractors from the factory..
I got a running list of things to do next year to it

Governor springs are fine, but don't spin that thing like a 5.9...a lot more mass, and everything is bigger. Will it hold, sure, but just because 12v 8.3's don't drop valves doesn't mean it will like it. Will run better below 2400RPM anyway.

Governor spring will help throttle response, sure...but you may not need it to act like a 600hp pickup once you get it towing...you might like it.

BTW, I have a truck 8.3 here...if you want get yours driving and want someone to play with a pump for you, I won't need this auto governor sucker...I'd make you a deal on it or swap you pump for pump for yours. That way you can have a pump benched without downtime on the truck.

Chris

24068499_10213501852114260_6044557696670826504_o.jpg

Got it scaled minus few things, 55g in a tank, should mid 10k once done..
Definetly like that pump idea Chris. If you don't mind it collecting dust for fee months... I don't plan on spinning any faster than I need to without having my foot buried in the pump.. I have enough gears and legs I shouldn't have to scream it.
2100-2200rpm seams to be where TQ starts dropping fast on paper..
9700lbs isn't alot of wieght for a 8.3..

My 5.9L in our FL80 will handle 55K lbs no problem and hold 65mph easily. Usually 70MPH is still no problem...clutch is flaky...

It's geared to run 2000RPM @ 60mph, so FWIW the 8.3 should have way more torque. I think you'll be fine, but maybe get full fuel to 25-2600RPM and call it good if you need to make it drive nicer...

This engine I have is just parts to make one from 2 "junk" engines...time is no problem.

Chris

The DD14" clutch I got valiar is nice little on the stiff side, along way from grab steering wheel to depress the clutch though..

60mph with LP22.5(36-37")
7H 1800
8L 1600
8H 1350

Definetly want full fueling to go 2500-2600rpm

Thanks

Looks like a nice setup for gears and speed. You can always use lower gears loaded, but I'm always looking for a bigger gear when I'm empty.

Chris

That was the idea.. have enough gear to comfortably cruise 70-73 when empty/light.. and enough options that I'm not stuck in-between gears when heavy.. 70 in 8H is 1600rpm

Ran across a guy out of Decatur IL, has a built 8.3 in a f550 with fso 6sp and custom tcase adapter for 4x4 says 700/1600 how/tq, from the pictures he posted.. it's a very tight fit.

S472 .91 t4 housing
13mm pump and injectors(140° spray cone vs 150°) from ADI injection around Decatur IL area.
4gsk
120lb ISB valves
Head/main studs
Hamilton camshaft
18° or 7.1mm lift on the pump

Definetly sounds like he's got fuel/air for said HP..

Says boost is limited to ~30# due to valve springs being forced open by the boost.. ~35# is head gasket limit... Anything much more than stock injectors and S300 even with 360° thrust bearings don't live long

Says 4gsk fuell better down low vs 3gsk.

For ISB springs machine work on the head is needed..

IDK if I need 700hp..think 500hp will allow me to walk the dog easily... but knowing various component limits definetly is helpful

Figured someone would be able to smell smoke if he was BSing me

Last edited:
Getting insurance/plate transfer, tires get in tomorrow..255/70/22.5
Got a 10k load to San Antonio Texas to deliver Monday..
Wish I has some time to replace the AC system

:woohoo:Good luck! I'm ready to see how this rig works out for you, with all the work you've put into it I'm betting reliability won't be an issue. I'm just glad I got finished with harvest before the baby decided to show up, then we've got to spend the last two weeks at Children's Mercy in KC due to a hole in his lung that the lovely Dr's in Maryville couldn't find. Hope she treats you good on your run!

Thanks jesse

Only thing major I haven't touched is the Engine.. radiator is holding pressure CAC doesnt seam to be leaking..
I peg 30# boost fairly quickly.. haven't bothered to adjust waste gate tighter.. heat will cook you out.. need to get floor vent working (PO cut holes and messed up flow in part of the systems..
Need to get at least DS PW working

Ran across a guy out of Decatur IL, has a built 8.3 in a f550 with fso 6sp and custom tcase adapter for 4x4 says 700/1600 how/tq, from the pictures he posted.. it's a very tight fit.

S472 .91 t4 housing
13mm pump and injectors(140° spray cone vs 150°) from ADI injection around Decatur IL area.
4gsk
120lb ISB valves
Head/main studs
Hamilton camshaft
18° or 7.1mm lift on the pump

Definetly sounds like he's got fuel/air for said HP..

Says boost is limited to ~30# due to valve springs being forced open by the boost.. ~35# is head gasket limit... Anything much more than stock injectors and S300 even with 360° thrust bearings don't live long

Says 4gsk fuell better down low vs 3gsk.

For ISB springs machine work on the head is needed..

IDK if I need 700hp..think 500hp will allow me to walk the dog easily... but knowing various component limits definetly is helpful

Figured someone would be able to smell smoke if he was BSing me

Definitely pretty cool. I'm surprised though. An isc will pull down 36ish psi boost with no issues. Cool regardless

Apparently the 6cta(12v) have weaker springs than the 24v ISC. Also can get ISC upwards of 650hp in marine application vs 6cta 430/450hp..

Already looking at stuff to help it breathe better.. no limit manufacturing would regrind a cam for me.. like to swap from flat tappet to roller tappet open up alot of better profiles options with limited lift, I don't want to put valve relief in the pistons.
If I pop the 362 figured I'd stick a 463/83 .9 T4 in it's place

Like said before, I'm ready to see her hit the road and hear how she does. It has been fun following this build and admiring your determination and perseverance in seeing it through. Keep us updated and we love pics!