99 FL60 mutt/conversion/repower project build

Got oil changed.. new fire extinguisher.. found wet spot between front cover and water pump flange... So much for an easy day..at least I'm at home

Thinking I should have gone with the next bigger turbine doesn't take much to hit 1000-1100° at 1500-1600rpm
At 1500rpm no load does 5psi boost.. run out of HP above 1800rpm rolls 68-72 fairly decently

Better go ahead and install the gov. Springs. You may be surprised how different the truck drives, response and won't run out of power so quick. I highly recommend power drivens Bosch 4k kit. I'd think 1800 ish rpm with low boost on say the interstate would yield best fuel economy.

I'm curious to how much the EGTs will drop once I bump timing from 11 to 17...

Planning on it.... Drained the bank account farther than I wanted too getting this mutt up and running

Last edited:
Better go ahead and install the gov. Springs. You may be surprised how different the truck drives, response and won't run out of power so quick. I highly recommend power drivens Bosch 4k kit. I'd think 1800 ish rpm with low boost on say the interstate would yield best fuel economy.

I have read many times and and there is a little write up another meme we did here some time ago about fuel mileage vs boost.

It has been proven that any engine size and HP level, the optimal boost range for fuel mileage is 5-7 lbs of boost.

I have tested this myself in my 12 valve, my CR and in my dads 3406. Each time I ran each motor, cruising around 10 psi. Then ran the motor between 5-7 psi. Each motor got better fuel mileage in that optimal range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This one does ~10psi @70 bobtail 15-20 with the trailer and current load... Flat ground..

Think the turbine 68mm is to small. I'm glad I don't have the stock H1C on it..

Haven't filled up yet... Thinking I'm 8-9mpg roughly which isn't bad base line

We run the 68mm turbine at 300hp on a 514CID engine....don't remember the housing, I think a .80A/R...but the application is a bit different. Heavy field work at 1800RPM.

Chris

What turbo was is 62/68/.91? Sorry went back 3 pages and didn't see what turbine and housing.

362/68 .83 T4 gated I can push 1200° at 1600rpm with ~3/4 throttle climbing grades.. slightly hazy in head lights at 30psi

Egt probe is in the rear port for 4/5/6 cylinders.. drilled a hole in the 1" spacer from HSP for it

It's definitely extremely responsive

Last edited:
Curious to see if it would be happier with more boost. I ran my 62 much harder when I towed

Everything is internal...
Harder? In already hitting 1200° EGTs as is

First tank.
660/80 8.25mpg
Speed is reading 2 mph fast.. so call it 8 from Ohio to Springfield MO
Gues that's not bad considering all that's still stock on the engine

Last edited: