A better street tire

My 420s aren't loud.

I really think the only way your gonna hook up better in 2wd is to make the suspension load up better and the truck transfer weight better. It's a give and take battle with these trucks since they were never designed to make this power or go fast. Lol

I'm just at a serious disadvantage due to having a long bed and being 2wd ...I'll try the 16" wheel with the dot slick for a while then I'll shorten the bed and put a 4 link with a mini tub ..after that I'll look into to ways to take weight off the truck

My 420's spend life around 25psi. The caltracs and shorter wheel base really help them hook up. But I have a set of MT et street 2's that go on for the real fun. Granted I have a 94 so I can use 315/60 r15's which measures out to about 30in tall.

ylo73z, I'm in the same boat as you with a 2wd. I put 2nd gen rear discs and caliper brakets on last week and I can fit a 15 inch wheel with very minimal grinding, the 2nd gen rear brakes bolt on like it was meant to be there. The wheels I got are 15x8 with a 4 inch backspacing but they do stick out about an inch. I will be running a 30x9x15 MT radial slick for the track only but Hoosier makes a P295/65R15 DOT drag radial thats 29.6 inches tall and 10 inches wide which would work for the street. Look at summit racing for the 15inch 8 lug wheels with 4-4.5 inch back spacing.

You guys are running really high pressures. I have to run mine at 30-32 psi, even when towing, or else they wear like crap in 500 miles.

And I have zero road noise, but that could be because the engine and trans sound like they're in the cab with me.

Last edited:
the fronts are too flexible in the turns at 30 for me

I gotcha. I always attributed that to being top heavy, and just plain heavy LOL I ran higher pressure when I first got the tires, didn't seem to make a difference on mine. Your truck is a lot lower than mine though. I also never try to turn hard in mine. I'm a *****.

ylo73z, I'm in the same boat as you with a 2wd. I put 2nd gen rear discs and caliper brakets on last week and I can fit a 15 inch wheel with very minimal grinding, the 2nd gen rear brakes bolt on like it was meant to be there. The wheels I got are 15x8 with a 4 inch backspacing but they do stick out about an inch. I will be running a 30x9x15 MT radial slick for the track only but Hoosier makes a P295/65R15 DOT drag radial thats 29.6 inches tall and 10 inches wide which would work for the street. Look at summit racing for the 15inch 8 lug wheels with 4-4.5 inch back spacing.

No issues with abs or parking brake ?
Dd you use 2nd generation 3/4 ton rear disks parts ?

Looks like eBay has 2nd generation 2500 rear calipers complete with brackets ...will my stock bolts work on mounting the calipers ?

no issues at all. Everything works like it came like that from the factory. Yes 2nd gen rear disc setup. Like I said you only need the rotor and caliper bracket as the caliper itself and the brake pads are the same. All the bolts work as well.

Awesome ...I didn't see that part ... So I just use my caliper , a 2nd gen caliper bracket and rotor ...great ! 15" wheels here I come , thanks allot 59 turbo

I sent an email to nitto asking for a 285-305 width drag radial that measures 31-32 inches on wheels 16-20". I figure the more people that send inquiries the more likely they are to consider.

I got a response saying that they have plans to offer the 555 in more sizes but there is no set timeline right now.

I got a response saying that they have plans to offer the 555 in more sizes but there is no set timeline right now.

I got the same response from M&H when I asked for a 31-32 inch drag radial for a 17 inch wheel.

I sent an email to nitto asking for a 285-305 width drag radial that measures 31-32 inches on wheels 16-20". I figure the more people that send inquiries the more likely they are to consider.

w00t! the more that do the more likely they aren't just fluffing us with the response emails.

Picked them up today, just need to find some cheap wheels now.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2