a few questions for you guys

RJM, after studs and EGR, is there anything else that should be done to keep reliability at it's highest?

Also, the 6.0s had a year where they did a big upgrade correct? Like, tranny, interior, or am I mistaken? If it did what was the years before they swapped to a 6.4?

They upgraded the 5r with the release of the 6.4l.

The interior upgraded on year models 2005 and up. They also swapped from a leaf sprung front end to a coil over.

In 2006 they modified the heads with anticipation of the 6.4l. (A 6.4l is pretty much a bored 6.0l with common rail injection). 6.0l truck were years 2003-2007. 6.4ls were 2008-2010/11.

if you want a strong engine go with a 7.3 with a intake, exuast and a dp tuner they seem to do very good, i drive mine everyday and haul my toy to the tracks and work the hell out of my truck here at home on the farm. but the cummins is a good motor too i just dont like the truck they are in if you could find a ford with a cummins swap done right you would have a great truck, for the thread sake im not :poke: ing at the dodge guys

if you want a strong engine go with a 7.3 with a intake, exuast and a dp tuner they seem to do very good, i drive mine everyday and haul my toy to the tracks and work the hell out of my truck here at home on the farm. but the cummins is a good motor too i just dont like the truck they are in if you could find a ford with a cummins swap done right you would have a great truck, for the thread sake im not :poke: ing at the dodge guys

Dp? LOL I bet you have a PMR engine too.

Ive seen the cummins swap in a few places, is that a pretty insane job? I'm not against the idea, when I was a lot younger I was into import cars and did a few swaps in Hondas and nissans, but those were pretty straightforward for the most part, and highly supported in the aftermarket arena which made sourcing parts easy. Is it worth it?

From what I have read when I was researching it when my 6.0 was being a royal PITA if you plan on keeping the truck forever they are great but from a cost stand point you would be better off to go buy a new truck. If I remember correctly they were in the 10-15k dollar range for a complete swap by the time every thing was said and done.

Wow, with that kind of money you could just build the snot out of whatever you buy. I just need to do more research and find what I like best in my price range. I'll end up putting a good chunk of change into whatever I get so Im just going to go test drive and get what suits me best

Don't get me wrong if I had the money I would do it but to finance it I just can't make it make sense and I need my truck as a DD so I could not be with out it while I built up the cash to do it. I have almost a third of that into making mine run right with a new FICM, two injectors, EGR delete, exhaust, gauges, and pretty soon custom tunes and I am no where near as deep into performance side of it as some of the guys on here. Now I am just waiting on the head gaskets to go pop and then it's game on.

Wow, with that kind of money you could just build the snot out of whatever you buy. I just need to do more research and find what I like best in my price range. I'll end up putting a good chunk of change into whatever I get so Im just going to go test drive and get what suits me best

That price range is accurate, but that's paying a shop to do it.

A friend of mine has around 3-4k in his CR swap, doing the work himself and selling the powerstroke engine stuff.

Well, I don't have any means of lifting the cab, and that concerns me bc I like to do my own wrenching but would have to pay to do that. The only thing that is keeping the 6.0 in my powerstroke vs. cummins ordeal is the fact that I'd have to build the tranny in the cummins after what seems to be pretty minimal modifications. Kind of one of the 'between a rock and a hard place' deals

The dodge front ends are by no means weak. I have my race truck(ex DD) cummins and my new DD tow rig 7.3 PSD. And I love them both but the cummins is a lot easier to work on. I have a posi locker( cable operated 4 wheel drive) instead of the vacuum operated 4wd and in my opinion that makes the front end a lot more reliable. I've never had my truck death wobble but it just had a leveling kit and 35's.
A 6 inch lift is a lot more on a dodge then a ford also. You can easily fit 37's on a dodge with a 4 inch lift. Also just an opinion but I think the fords need at least a 6 inch lift to look right with 37's.
If injectors and HG are your worry on the 6.0 I've done them without pulling the cab. Yes it's harder then pulling the cab but it's not to bad.
For reliability and being easy to work on, in my opinion it's no question. I'd pick the cummins. either one towing will eventually be the downfall of your transmission. And after that you can drive a 600 hp CR with the same money invested and reliability of a 500hp 6.0. Not trying to start a pissing match, just my opinion from experience.

In my opinion every truck has its good parts and its bad. It just depends which one fits you better personally... take comfort, accessibility, cab room, controls, etc. I've had two fords a chevy and i have my fummins which is my puller. Ford makes a tough truck for the most part. They have a good suspension and good handling and they can take a pretty good beating and some good loads but they definitely ride like a log wagon when you are empty. Dad has an 06 CR and he really likes it. It rides a little better but I think the handling and steering seems sloppy but nothing too bad. My 6.0 and his CR have about the same amount of miles too. both of them have the six speed manual. The manual tranny in both trucks are definitely good quality. I dont know a whole lot about the automatics though. Before the cummins swap in my 99 it was powered by a 7.3. That is a good motor! Finding them is the problem though. They either have a ton of miles on them or the seller doesn't really want to get rid of it. Both the dodge and the ford have a whispering reputation for a weak front end but i have never witnessed it. Like you said the dodge's supposedly death wobble but the ford is known for ball joint replacements but like i said i have never witnessed them just heard "horror stories." The cummins is a good engine... Easy to tune, maintain, and parts are usually a dime a dozen. The 6.0 is a good motor normally a little more maintenance and some of the parts could be more expensive but will definitely pull itself along. Either way when you start modifying any vehicle there will be more maintenance and it will get costly its all a matter of when where and what. If I were you just start test driving. Whichever one feels best and drives best in your opinion. That is my two cents

The ball joints on the ferds were the D50 front ends, in the 3/4 tons prior to 02.

All the 1 tons and the 3/4's 02 and later had D60 fronts, and no ball joint issues beyond what you'll have on any other truck.

The ball joints on the ferds were the D50 front ends, in the 3/4 tons prior to 02.

All the 1 tons and the 3/4's 02 and later had D60 fronts, and no ball joint issues beyond what you'll have on any other truck.

Yeah now its coming back to me.
Thanks

just from what Ive seen with the "death wobble" situation. I never said it was weak, just poorly setup from the factory. It seems like a lot of work has to be put into the front end to keep them trust. It concerns me because the suspension is going to be put to work, this will be off-roaded

As bad as I hate to say it the Fords have Death Wobble issues too - IIRC there are tsb's to aid in correcting it. Setting tire pressue high, camber at the negative end of spec, maybe steering stabilizers and making sure your parts are good will usually cure it on them - as for the Dodges I have no idea how hard it is to fix..

Studs and an egr delete will fix 90% of the problems with the 6.0. The other 10% is the same problems with all of the newer trucks, injector failure and other random things.

Exactly. Once its studded and free of the egr ( and maybe STC fitting fixed ) id bet on my 6.0 any day of the week :)

Back