a few questions for you guys

Oh yea dam 6.0's are dam expensive but i mean comon how many dodge dudes are out there? a crap load most kids that just run around and smoke everywere. I love my 05 6.0 IMO the best looking body truck inside and out. Yes they are alittle expensive motor wise the only problem i ever had was a FICM. And trust me i beat the sh!t out of her. but its mainly what you like and are used to.. You like chinsy or well built? haha jk

Oh yea dam 6.0's are dam expensive but i mean comon how many dodge dudes are out there? a crap load most kids that just run around and smoke everywere. I love my 05 6.0 IMO the best looking body truck inside and out. Yes they are alittle expensive motor wise the only problem i ever had was a FICM. And trust me i beat the sh!t out of her. but its mainly what you like and are used to.. You like chinsy or well built? haha jk

An upgraded FICM, new HPOP, head studs and labor for someone who can't do it themselves is still cheaper than the tranny work you will most certainly have to do to the Dodge...

And then what do you do when the rest of the Dodge falls apart around that glorious motor/tranny you just spent money on??? Sell it and buy a Ford I suppose...

Just sayin:Cheer:

Last edited:
An upgraded FICM, new HPOP, head studs and labor for someone who can't do it themselves is still cheaper than the tranny work you will most certainly have to do to the Dodge...

And then what do you do when the rest of the Dodge falls apart around that glorious motor/tranny you just spent money on??? Sell it and buy a Ford I suppose...

Just sayin:Cheer:

Then you go through injector nightmare on that 6.0 too from what I hear. I know my buddy went through 3 sets and the cab off each time.

Then you go through injector nightmare on that 6.0 too from what I hear. I know my buddy went through 3 sets and the cab off each time.

I would never pull the cab for injectors, actully tear into a 6.0 before you run around saying the cab is off for everything. I have heard of injector issues but they arnt all that common.

No one said cab off for everything but you just now, just stating that my buddy did so 3 times. It was just faster to do it that way for him.

There are no more injector issues on a 6.0 than with any of the other newer diesels, and certainly not as bad as I've heard about the Duramax's. If he got 3 bad sets of injectors he needs to either keep up with his maintainence better or change who he gets parts from IMHO. You really want to pray to whoever's up there that the lift pump doesn't go out in the Dodge either - otherwise you're looking at spending a few grand on the high pressure side :)

Also no way I'd take the cab off to do injectors, but then again I don't like doing more than I have to.

Hell, even with all the parts mentioned earlier AND injectors, you're still under what it costs for a new tranny.

Last edited:
Yea the Gen 1 Duramax trucks were the worse as for injectors but they came around once they got rid of the low voltage injectors and other than that they were a good platform.

1st two times Ford pulled the cab for injectors and put Ford parts in obviously. Since Ford did it that way for a reason that I would assume is saving time = money. He did the same on his 4 post lift once it was out of warranty. I guess I should have mentioned the whole story 1st.

Guys I am also a Ford guy. I have 3 now and love them all. Had a 7.3 that was an awesome truck. All three of my service trucks from the past and now are Ford Triton motors.

Lets face it Ford got a bad rep from the 6.0 for many reasons. Hell it took this community how long to accept the 6.4 as a great platform? Mostly because of its previous reputation.

Im a Ford guy too but don't get me wrong; the Cummins is a harass motor and I don't think there's any question that it is more reliable than a 6.0 - Im not dreaming here :). But that wasn't what the discussion was about - OP wanted to know which truck he should get and/or which would work better for his intended application, and I just can't recommend a Dodge truck no matter what engine is pushing it.

"Hi, I'm earth...

Have we met?"

Obviously you weren't aware of all the Duramax warranty claims...

All im saying is injectors aren't really a must-do or something to be expected like an EGR cooler and/or headgasket failure.

Last edited:
The ball joints on the ferds were the D50 front ends, in the 3/4 tons prior to 02.

All the 1 tons and the 3/4's 02 and later had D60 fronts, and no ball joint issues beyond what you'll have on any other truck.

Not true, my 03 350 7.3 has a 50 in it.... sad to say that...

If you were considering swapping a cummins into a ford, easiest way is to go with a 12v... only one wire used out of the ford harness for power to the motor... makes it much cheaper- buy a 7.3 and you have the same/ better reliability anyway... and i wouldn't agree that a cummins is easier to work on either... unless it's got to do with the exhaust/ turbo

6.0 injectors have a bad rep because the spool valves have issues with thicker oils(rotella) or dirty oil(don't be a cheap a$$) change your oil and run synthetic.... problem solved 95% of the time

Any reason you'd pick a 6.0 rather than a 7.3 other than newer interior?

Obviously you weren't aware of all the Duramax warranty claims...

All im saying is injectors aren't really a must-do or something to be expected like an EGR cooler and/or headgasket failure.

Obviously you've missed the fact that a simple recall fixed the LB7 injector issues.

Not true, my 03 350 7.3 has a 50 in it.... sad to say that...

Your 03 had a D60 in it from the factory, I promise.

I have a parts catolog here, and after a second look it appears all SRW's had a D50 until 02. Only way to get a D60 was a dually until then.

Every 02-03 built had a 60 up front though, had your truck been wrecked?

not with a report.... I snapped the pinion shaft at the last pull last year and ford swore up and down that it had to be a 60... so i ordered parts for the 60 and when we pulled it apart found out it was a 50.... maybe she was wrecked, it was from cali too... maybe they sent all the parts they didn't want to keep using out there, kinda like with politicians hahaha

Sorry to hear that then, you got screwed. Ferd wouldn't have installed a D50 even if it was destined for limp wrist land.

Think the differences in cali models were 99% engine. Definitely not drivetrain.

Yea I got new 190's studs new coolers and a few more things spent roughly 3500 on everything. IMO it's practically BP and sounds amazing how much for a built dodge tranny? 4 maybe $4500.

Obviously you've missed the fact that a simple recall fixed the LB7 injector issues.

Im glad you understand that, guess changng your oil and using the right stuff to fill it up with is even easier than takinit in for a recall huh? :)

Much more too it than oil. The low voltage system the lb7 had caused the injectors to fail mostly. When they upped the voltage on the next duramax it was fine.

Back