additional crankcase ventilation

DMcpherson

COAL SLAYER
wondering what you guys are doing on the 24v's to get added crankcase ventilation. thinking of hole sawing the valve cover to use push in breathers.
post what you got

Tig welded an 1 1/4" thread-0-let, To install a barbed fitting for a breather tube.

I noticed today the oil fill tube is 1.500", i cut off the top section where the screw on cap is and put on a 1 1/2" slip on breather with shield. It along with the facotry side vent is what i will have. The side vent is running into a overflow can with drain...
Ryan

I noticed today the oil fill tube is 1.500", i cut off the top section where the screw on cap is and put on a 1 1/2" slip on breather with shield. It along with the facotry side vent is what i will have. The side vent is running into a overflow can with drain...
Ryan

you have a pic of this?

Could always run the stock 24v breather on the timing case, and the stock 12v style breather off the tappet cover.

I was thinking that too. I figure its easier to add breathers to the valve cover or somewhere on top like the 12vguys do

just use a vacuum pump , or better yet a dry sump pump

Dan, I have a brand new 12v tappet cover :poke: cheap! I was gonna use it, but the breather got in the way of my ecm.

I made a new oil fill cap with a hole in it for standard 1" breathers. Black plastic, just screw it in and pop your choice of 1" breather into it.

Attachments

• breather.jpg
    breather.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
I made a new oil fill cap with a hole in it for standard 1" breathers. Black plastic, just screw it in and pop your choice of 1" breather into it.

thats what Im thinking. nice and easy. definitely no where near needing a dry sump. just some extra breathing

This is the crankcase evac system we use for common rails:

(Large).jpg

CFM & suckage must be balanced against operating RPM range.

thats what Im thinking. nice and easy. definitely no where near needing a dry sump. just some extra breathing

I have a couple extra's if you need one. Send me an address and pay whatever it costs(probably $5 or so) to ship and I'll send you one.

This is the crankcase evac system we use for common rails:

View attachment 14838

CFM & suckage must be balanced against operating RPM range.
wow you guys are catching on to a smog pump, I use those 15 years ago on my comp motors . and the secret is you can't get enough pump on a diesel as full boost, but at part throttle it might pull more the a few inches of vacuum. as long as you below 10 inches you will not hurt anything. Any thing more then 15 inches and you will see a big drop in oil pressure , and will need a vacuum breaker Moroso makes a cool pump, and the late GM and for products have electrical pumps. You and also use a one way valve on you down pipe, with a Ventura

I've used both the pictured Ford pump and the electric GM pump

Use a small 1" breather up top so the vac pump isnt labouring, and suck thru the factory pipe on the side cover

As to high rpm issues - some vacumm is better than none as the motor likes help to push those vapours out

$.02

Vacuum is advantageous in that it will reduce the windage in the crankcase . There is another aspect to vacuum as well, you can lighten the ring package and reduce parasitic friction .
There is around 45 to 60 hp in this operation. This power is free , in that you are already paying for this power in the combustion chamber.

I have a complete vacuum pump and breaker system that I developed for the Cumoins CM , and Ill dig it out if any one wants one .
There is a lot of trucks to doing this , and it took the guys in comp about a year to figure it out .

I have run as much as 19 inches in a wet sump engine , but this required a acusump to keep from loosing bearings . In a dry sump engine there is no limit to the amount of vacuum, the more the better