AFC simplified

160/175/180hp spring on left, 215hp middle, TST on right.
Spr7.jpg

In the following picture I compare two springs that began as the same. The spring on the right was heated and stretched to achieve the open pressure desired.
Spr2.jpg

160/175hp governor spring on left, 180/215hp governor spring on right.
Spr6.jpg

Does anyone have a Bosch number for the spring I need to open at 20 or so PSI, I got a "215 governer spring" from a member here and it starts opening at 5psi and not thinking it is what he said it was.

Tim

^^ dumb question for you, but have you adjusted the starwheel at all?

Take you afc off and put shop air to where the boost reference line comes in. You can adjust the star wheel tension to start opening at whatever pressure you want.

Yes that is how I found the problem, also adjusting the star wheel it does preload the spring but will limit full arm travel because it moved the wheel closer to the firewall and further away from the full travel position. there is a post about it around here some where.

You're going to need a longer spring than a stock 215 spring. A stiffer one also if you want it to start traveling at 20 psi.

Try a stock GSK and see where that gets you. It's full travel at 60 psi IIRC.

You're going to need a longer spring than a stock 215 spring. A stiffer one also if you want it to start traveling at 20 psi.

That's what he's got...

That is what I have seem to gotten was a Stock GSK for like a 160 pump and was looking for the number for the one Weston was referring to when he stretches it out.

Stock spring stretched is working great for me. Hardly any smoke then over 10psi it just takes off.

My Question,

My truck smokes way too much while I'm waiting to light the twins. What would be my best change?
It has the TST AFC springs , twins,0 plate, & 5x12 injectors.
I run the plate full forward & the AFC star wheel 1/2 way back. The housing about the same.
Any suggestions?
I want to upgrade the injectors to 7x14 this year.

WAYNES WORLD

My setup is a 66/71/13 with 5x14 and a 600cc pump with 65PSI boost limit that turns 5500rpm down the track. I also need to set the AFC to fuel when it cracks 20PSI. The AFC foot is just touching the lever with the fuel solenoid in the on position, thus the reason for finding the correct spring I need.

My setup is a 66/71/13 with 5x14 and a 600cc pump with 65PSI boost limit that turns 5500rpm down the track. I also need to set the AFC to fuel when it cracks 20PSI. The AFC foot is just touching the lever with the fuel solenoid in the on position, thus the reason for finding the correct spring I need.
Since your boosting 65 psi, and that's all the signal the AFC is going to get, then I would think you'll want a spring that gives you full travel by 65 psi. A stock 180/215 governor spring seems to be the animal.

My Question,

My truck smokes way too much while I'm waiting to light the twins. What would be my best change?
It has the TST AFC springs , twins,0 plate, & 5x12 injectors.
I run the plate full forward & the AFC star wheel 1/2 way back. The housing about the same.
Any suggestions?
I want to upgrade the injectors to 7x14 this year.

WAYNES WORLD

On the street? At the track?

Mine is a DD plus I Pull with it, I don't have a problem with the full boost fuel I need a spring that Starts to fuel about 20psi the "215" Governer spring I got starts at 5psi and that is where the problem lies....

Sounds like for what you're after, a spring isn't the answer. You need a valve on the boost line that has an opening pressure of 20 psi. Kind of like a valet switch. I use these guys at work for different kinds of valves, and they are local for me which helps.

Back