Air Dog Dead?

Just changed the relay and only one of the 4 prongs lit up with a test light. Still no power goin back to the pump at all. I ordered a new wiring harness, could this be the problem. The pump works fine took it to a starter/alternator shop to get it tested and worked just fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Just changed the relay and only one of the 4 prongs lit up with a test light. Still no power goin back to the pump at all. I ordered a new wiring harness, could this be the problem. The pump works fine took it to a starter/alternator shop to get it tested and worked just fine

Honesty there is so little that goes into the wiring of these pumps that the problem has to be simple. Relays on any type of wiring very rarely go bad. Was your fuse blown? Were they pumping some sort of fluid when they tested it or was it dry?

I had one that was wet but all 3 were missing a spring on a brush. Not really sure how they still worked, I was under the impression that both brushes had to make contact for polarity to be right. Anyhow I've installed many airdogs on all makes and it seems to be the last few I did having problems. Were there any changes made to the make of the pumps?

Honesty there is so little that goes into the wiring of these pumps that the problem has to be simple. Relays on any type of wiring very rarely go bad. Was your fuse blown? Were they pumping some sort of fluid when they tested it or was it dry?

I've checked all fuses and they are good and when they tested the motor it was dry, and it sounded good. I know its gotta be simple but im about stressed to the max on trying to fix this. Could a brand new wiring harness solve this?

How about you just calm down. Keep It Simple Stupid. Just take your time and check things one by one. The relay only has one terminal that has 12v power all the time. And one that is the trigger 12v source with key on. That's it. The others are grounds.

How about you just calm down. Keep It Simple Stupid. Just take your time and check things one by one. The relay only has one terminal that has 12v power all the time. And one that is the trigger 12v source with key on. That's it. The others are grounds.

I'm tryin to remain calm, its just frustrating that I dont have a vehicle right now. I know its gotta be something simple. Thanks for the info Gibson its been almost 3 years since I installed it and couldnt remember what was what.

Run a jumper across the red and yellow to bypass the relay. Paper clips do the trick.

I spoke with Jeremy today.......going to try some things on my end first

Going to change the filter, clean the gerator, and pop in a new fuse

He called yesterday and I was busy at work, could not take the call

There used to be a link explaining and showing the gerotor pump cleaning method

Anyone have it handy?

Last edited:
Just got home from work and decided to check it out again. Pulled all the wires from the back of the pump at the plug all the way to the relay and they all looked good. With the key on and with a test light all the fuses checked out good, but still no power.

You guys need some electrical classes! Lol. The wiring for all the aftermarket pumps is extremely simple. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to diagnose with a test light or digital meter.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

You guys need some electrical classes! Lol. The wiring for all the aftermarket pumps is extremely simple. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to diagnose with a test light or digital meter.

Digital meter, Test lights won't show a voltage drop. It will light up with 7volts or 12 volts, etc.

Digital meter, Test lights won't show a voltage drop. It will light up with 7volts or 12 volts, etc.

You're saying a digital meter won't show a voltage drop? Granted a test light won't but it will tell you if a fuse or relay is passing voltage down a wiring harness.

You're saying a digital meter won't show a voltage drop? Granted a test light won't but it will tell you if a fuse or relay is passing voltage down a wiring harness.

This.

How far is the power getting down stream? Granted the fuses are good.

Swap the relay with a known good one, if the pump works its a bad coil in the relay. If no change and you cannot hear it click when you turn the key to on its a bad ground on the coil circuit. Pretty simple, actually about as simple as wiring gets. I have only had good experiences with Airdog pumps, but have changed a couple relays since installing mine. They relay gets a lot of cycles and the coil burns up or the coil gets too weak to pull the contact over. Not a big deal. Good luck!

Ah, NO... Digital/Analog meter, Yes. Test light, No. Is that clearer? I have had to help fellow workers who were stumped on what was wrong. First thing I did was take the test light out of there hands and put said meter in it. A few minutes later, Oh I see what is wrong. Needless to say the test light never comes out again.

Last edited:
Just got home from work and decided to check it out again. Pulled all the wires from the back of the pump at the plug all the way to the relay and they all looked good. With the key on and with a test light all the fuses checked out good, but still no power.

Be more specific when you say still now power. All checked out well so I took it as you have power to the pump? Did you check them with a meter or light or by eye?

I'm sorry, but Upinsmoke, it sounds like you have no idea how a relay works. Google it. You keep saying you are checking all the wires and fuses. Stop doing a bunch of stupid shi+. At the relay: 85 & 86 get 12v power and ground to switch the relay, 30 gets power all the time, and 87 sends power to the pump. When the truck is running, 87 should have power. If it does NOT, there are 3 options: Bad relay, No power to 30, or you aren't getting power to the coil (85 & 86).

Now go get a meter, and stop posting until you check this crap. There's 2 pages of info and people trying to help, and you are still "looking" at the entire harness.

Comp D. Smashing info into peoples heads using brutal honesty.
LOL

In his defense. He swears he sent it. And it's not that I don't believe anyone who says that. But people that run around pissing and moaning about it blaming AirDog is bs. There is no f'ing reason for AirDog to throw a card out. Especially someone I know for a fact is on the forums. Call usps and run them through the mud. Cause nobody at AirDog f'ed you mikmaze. Or state it was lost in the mail by usps. Not imply AirDog trashed it upon your pump going bad you cry baby. Your no better than the 16 year old spoiled kid running his mouth on cummins forum. Oh you do it there too I believe...

reading this over again pisses me off, I kept all the goings on behind the scenes until I gave your company every chance to make good. Do I piss and moan about it now? you're fukin right I do, and you step right up and show people how you treat some customers. How hard would it have been to do the right thing? It isn't like I had the only pump that went bad, you could have easily passed off the costs to whomever supplied the bad parts, and wrote it all of in the grand scheme of a company the size of airdog, but to the end user, a pump of that cost is not cheap, nobody said it was, but you claimed it was better. so to you out here name calling, and pissin and moaning, think of the way it makes you look, no one gives a rats wet ass about me, I'm just some unhappy customer, but you represent airdog. If it comes out of your mouth, it is backed by them.