any hamilton 12v head dyno results out there?

Here is the graph with the stock Cummins 12v casting, stock vs intake removed, ported and same size valves as the Hamilton. The Hamilton does a lot more on the intake side, but the exhaust side is reasonably comparable.

Cummins12vwithosvalves.jpg

And a 24v Cummins casting, stock vs intake removed, ported and os valves.

Cummins24vwithosvalves.jpg

The nice thing about the 24v heads is that you can do a really good job of increasing the cfm and maintaining swirl.

The 12v is the same within .1cfm (its the same) at .200" stock too. Yes that is correct.

One thing to keep in mind is that these heads can vary a bit, to be +/- 5cfm is nothing.

Ported Cummins 12v head w/OS valves and Ported Hamilton 12v, the values in both intake/exhaust columns are identical.

Last edited:
Ported Cummins 12v head w/OS valves and Ported Hamilton 12v, the values in both intake/exhaust columns are identical.

**** you are right, those aren't the right numbers. The intake is boned too.

Last edited:
Ok disregard the 12v graph in post 81. This is the correct one:

*photobucket is failing, can't upload the corrected graph. I'll have to try again tomorrow morning.

Keep in mind this stuff is still somewhat in development. As we learn new tricks we improve what we can.

Last edited:
I believe a very well respected machine shop saw a huge HP increase on a pro-mod truck recently.....

ill throw my dyno up since its running still
dp 3 cam(187/223), 26* timing, northeast diesel tuned 913 pump with 181's, 66 over 91 with 80 psi made 760 on a superflow..
im going to see what happens with some of westons 7mm medium comps and 32* next..

What does your low-end performance look like on that truck? does it haze and smoke around town before the turbo spools? Or is it a race-only truck?
Looks like I might be raising timing again, especially with good studs and orings.

What does your low-end performance look like on that truck? does it haze and smoke around town before the turbo spools? Or is it a race-only truck?
Looks like I might be raising timing again, especially with good studs and orings.

this was not built to be a race, pull or anything but a hot daily driver and trailer towing every day truck.. unfortunetly yes the smoke is not a good thing and acctually its barely what i consider to be driveable on the street and towing a trailer is pretty much not fun if its light out..
other than if you look in the mirror or are stuck behind me, the truck responds and runs really really well. spools almost instantly ect.. makes good power.. just smokes at anything after 5psi boost... basically if your accelerating its smoking.. it really doesnt haze that bad to me but has black smoke... ive tried all kinds afc tuning, and even putting 181's and a smaller 62mm compressure in my secondary turbo helped but it still smokes.. and yes i did have to put a .020 gasket in to clear the wrong math intake valves but even at 20psi boost which should be and was with my old head clear is now black.. anyway imho this is a competition head and was sold as such from the beginning.. i learn the hard way and not the cheap way either.. my truck new name will be the "MY MONEY PIT"

Here is the graph with the stock Cummins 12v casting, stock vs intake removed, ported and same size valves as the Hamilton. The Hamilton does a lot more on the intake side, but the exhaust side is reasonably comparable.

Cummins12vwithosvalves.jpg

And a 24v Cummins casting, stock vs intake removed, ported and os valves.

Cummins24vwithosvalves.jpg

The nice thing about the 24v heads is that you can do a really good job of increasing the cfm and maintaining swirl.

Nice work!!!!!!

wish I knew what mine was doing. We also did, hamilton head, cam, springs ect, larger piping and a motor rebuild with lower compression all at once. Don't really know what did what but it is faster and has less boost lol.

Last edited:
I would expect injectors or delivery valves to lower the smoke, at the expense of power everywhere else though.
Did higher timing help with low end smoke or power?

this was not built to be a race, pull or anything but a hot daily driver and trailer towing every day truck.. unfortunetly yes the smoke is not a good thing and acctually its barely what i consider to be driveable on the street and towing a trailer is pretty much not fun if its light out..

Mine was a bit milder, but I am trying to daily drive it.

Intake

LIFT CFM

.200 192.6

.300 256.8

.400 260

.500 266

.600 272

Exhaust

.200 205

.300 251

.400 280

.500 284

.600 288

RonA

the timing was changed from the 19 i was using to do my heat cylcles and very mild driving to the current 26.. yes it helped some.. im probably going to bump it up to 32 just to see what it does on the dyno after i get the comp dvs.. after that ill go back to 131's and 26* for every day driving..

dezlfrek with the .020 gasket and those injectors could you be out of the bowl

the head was cut .060 to deshroud the valves which acctually have protrusion now but when i had the head off after blowing the gasket from having the timing at 38* with the standard gasket it was still kinda in the bowl then.. i doubt it is out of the bowls now.. here is what it looked like when i pulled the head..
photobucket-26411-1336094516857.jpg

photobucket-10993-1336094517877.jpg

Theres something else I have to look into.. what the shim thickness needs to be to get the injector in the best spot. pretty sure theres still .6mm ones on there right now. Could run extra timing and raise effective compression there.
Those flycuts will lower compression even more. Bet thats a good chunk of the smoke youre seeing.

Just put in some of Weston's 7mm comp dv's and good lord what a difference in low end smoke!! They smoke less than the 181's and feel much stronger.