Best hooking tires,size/ brand street tire for the strip/ street

I cut a 1.5 with cooper discover hts 275/60/20 I believe. Aired up to 50-55psi as well

The old 275/70/16 Toyo Proxes worked very well. I was able to cut 1.60-1.65 60fts with those. Unfortunately they were discontinued and are very hard to find nowadays.

Ran 275/55/16 M&H drag radials for a few runs last year, got a 1.59 best out of those. More time with them I probably could have done better than that.

The guys running in the 10's need the 3.42s. I think 1st is to short even for the street... I'm guessing things will be the same maybe better in the 60' due to more time in 1st and more load to make more boost sooner.

Just guessing here.

Besides mph... what? Less likely to spin off the line, slower 60ft? but gain on the back half? Would it be harder to drive on the street (spool/smoke controll)when i occasionally do take it out?
I have been wanting to do this for a while but something else always breakes first.
I think/hope i have those issues straightend out and want to start planing my projects for my winter months

With 3:42 gears what tire/wheel combo do you suggest for drag racing and maybe the occasional trip down the road?
Would it be different for 3:55s?

you will pick up et and mph. If you watch the pro street guys, a lot of them(and us) shift to 2nd really fast in effort to bug the engine and make it work harder. The higher gear is doing the same thing. Also, go with the tallest drag radial you can get.

you will pick up et and mph. If you watch the pro street guys, a lot of them(and us) shift to 2nd really fast in effort to bug the engine and make it work harder. The higher gear is doing the same thing. Also, go with the tallest drag radial you can get.

Ahh, so my assumptions were correct. w00t!

Great info, thanks!
On that note, what is the tallest drag radial out there? It seems sizes are very limited.

Shifting early, but when are you locking the convertor?

NT420's FTW I've cut 1.61 60's with 305/45R22's...

What about the inverse... I think I need to stiffen up my front shocks a touch, I felt a little bounce and re-check the air pressure, I had to get on the brakes this morning and the tires just couldn't hold... no contact but was a little on the close side.

Great info, thanks!
On that note, what is the tallest drag radial out there? It seems sizes are very limited.

M&H makes a 390/40/17. This is the best tire out there for the 3rd gen 4wds in my opinion.

My crew cab truck cut 1.51-1.52 almost every time with this tire. I tried MT drag radials also, but they didnt do any better the the nt420s. It would do high 1.50s on a very good track with the 420's, but had to run pressure way low.

thanks dave...looking for them now..........

If you're gonna change, might as well do 3.42's if track times / mph is your ultimate goal... Aron Nick loved his truck after the 3.42's.

If you want to run low 10's or 9's someday, I'm sure 3.42's will keep you from running out of gear and keep you in the meat of the powerband...

Last edited:
We lock in 2nd. Some guys have tried locking in high 1st, but there is not mich gain for the return in carnage.

You lock during the 1-2 shift?? Thats how Im set up but I would think that would be too much RPM drop if I shift to 2nd early.

If you're gonna change, might as well do 3.42's if track times / mph is your ultimate goal... Aron Nick loved his truck after the 3.42's.

If you want to run low 10's or 9's someday, I'm sure 3.42's will keep you from running out of gear and keep you in the meat of the powerband...

we'll my ultimate goal now is a 10.99..i wanna keep it streetable..342's or 355's ...aam i presume..

M&H makes a 390/40/17. This is the best tire out there for the 3rd gen 4wds in my opinion.

My crew cab truck cut 1.51-1.52 almost every time with this tire. I tried MT drag radials also, but they didnt do any better the the nt420s. It would do high 1.50s on a very good track with the 420's, but had to run pressure way low.

What wheels do you run, can you get by with 17X9? I cant seem to find wider.

Back