Best hooking tires,size/ brand street tire for the strip/ street

I had some old cheap eagle wheels. A 9" rim would be too narrow. 10" minimum. 12" would be better, it would put more contact patch on the ground.

After looking at this thread for a while i think a more street tire is in order.
So the original Q, 420s or proxes II

After looking at this thread for a while i think a more street tire is in order.
So the original Q, 420s or proxes II

well...i ran proxe's 2 for 3 seasons...the video in my sig is with them,notice all 4 tires spinning..truck doesnt do that anymore with nitto 420's, and i can cut 1.6's all day now..

If you can find then the proxies 1's hook up almost at good as the 420's but not quite. the proxies 2 are worse than both by a good bit.

Not so impressed with my proxies at this point....Might spray them with VHT next time to the track to see if that helps any

Ive heard of people spraying them in the pits and letting them kinda soak for a few mins before a run

well...i ran proxe's 2 for 3 seasons...the video in my sig is with them,notice all 4 tires spinning..truck doesnt do that anymore with nitto 420's, and i can cut 1.6's all day now..

I'm cutting 1.6 60's, but i'm still spinning with the 420's.. 20psi launch\

Ive heard of people spraying them in the pits and letting them kinda soak for a few mins before a run

So, How dirty are these pits? the one track that's the closest to me, my tires are full of crap rolling up to the line. thinking more VHT would help stick the dirt better

Last edited:
I would rather spin a bit then lock hard at 20lbs i think. Im not giving up streetability yet with running drag radials over road specifics.
I'll re visit this thread possibly once i try out the 3:42 gears and some 420s.

I would rather spin a bit then lock hard at 20lbs i think. Im not giving up streetability yet with running drag radials over road specifics.
I'll re visit this thread possibly once i try out the 3:42 gears and some 420s.

what gears do you have now..

I'm cutting 1.6 60's, but i'm still spinning with the 420's.. 20psi launch\

So, How dirty are these pits? the one track that's the closest to me, my tires are full of crap rolling up to the line. thinking more VHT would help stick the dirt better

Depends on how close to staging your pit was.....but I wouldnt think it could be any worse than the cars with huge slicks...just brush the tires off in the staging lanes.

Depends on how close to staging your pit was.....but I wouldnt think it could be any worse than the cars with huge slicks...just brush the tires off in the staging lanes.

I think I need to get a nice wire brush. Using a worn out micro fiber doesn't' get much out... There's just A LOT of CRAP just returning down the return road right back into the staging lanes at this one place.. A little spin gets the rears cleaned off but the fronts are still full of crap.

wow, thats what i have thats a big step....when are you doing that...i really need to see your results on the track....i know on the highway is gonna be nice...

Last edited:
It will be over the winter. I travel for work and get real busy in another week or two so even if i did switch them now i wouldnt have any run time.
I'll do 420s as at the same time too as well as change up my shocks.
My 3500 spring pack needs to loose some too.
I'm now wondering what kind of final ratio would i want based off the tire diameter choices.
Somewhere between a 29" and a 31.9"

It will be over the winter. I travel for work and get real busy in another week or two so even if i did switch them now i wouldnt have any run time.
I'll do 420s as at the same time too as well as change up my shocks.
My 3500 spring pack needs to loose some too.
I'm now wondering what kind of final ratio would i want based off the tire diameter choices.
Somewhere between a 29" and a 31.9"

the 420's are 32in.........