Best hot rod pump

Swamp Star

Go big or go home
Ok go ahead and let the burning start since I didnt search it. In my defense the search function is not working with my phone. With that out of the way I have a few questions. Back when I had the truck in my avatar it had a II hot rod pump as they were the only game around for one. Now this 01 I have now has a dying pump and I figure why no go back with another hot rod. The II unit on the old truck had 120k when I sold and kicked for a few years after.

What I want to hear now is what are yall running and the ups and downs with all the options out there. Are manufactures standing behind what they are selling? A little about my current truck, it is a 01 3500 4x4 6-speed with a juice cts, dd south bend, fass, intake and exhaust. I have a 62mm turbonetics charger, studs and valve springs waiting to go in it. Also I will be buying somebodys 150's to run when I swap the pump. So any input as to who is the top dog now days on injectors would be great. Thanks guys!

I have a II hot rod in my truck currently, was istalled by original owner. My old truck with the similair fueling and same turbo I have now would walk all over this turd. And that was with an SO. I don't understand the hype of a hot rod. Plus they idle like crap.

Ive ran scheids lightnings, ii hot rod pump, chip at bluechip diesels pump and got no real change across the board just constant failures the scheid seemed to be the best of the bunch. We eventually ended up with a so vp back on the truck and ran it for nearly a year with better success than any modified pump we had ran previously. Then we finally just converted it to p7100

Thats my thing. I scene a full p-pump kit including the pump for $2400 from somshop on the bookface the other day and it was a well known shop. I know my buddy has enough parts minus the lines to piece one together. Only thing is I like being able to tune on the fly while pulling my tractors.

You can do a pump swap for way less then what those people on the face page are asking for them. but if your stuck on wanting to keep it a VP then Scheid's pump would be my only choice

Last edited:
You can do a pump swap for way less then what those people on the face page are asking for them. but if your stuck on wanting to keep it a VP then Scheid's pump would be my only choice

Agreed. If you are going for a pump swap then go mechanical. Otherwise stick with the SO VP.

Stay VP! Lol. I wouldn't hesitate to try a Scheid Lightning VP, haven't heard anyone complain about them.

The SO pump has done 700+ with the right fuel to air ratio, the VP at least in my research is more rpm then fuel limited in sled pull/racing.

im in the same boat,its nice adjusting fuel and timing on the fly. ill probably replace my SO pump with another SO when it goes out.

The SO pump has done 700+ with the right fuel to air ratio, the VP at least in my research is more rpm then fuel limited in sled pull/racing.

I have the dyno sheets to back this statement up.

I loved my VP trucks but the constant worry of when it would leave me stranded is what made me ppump my truck. I had all of zero dollars in my pump swap which helped too. Bought a running 12v engine, conversion lines, cam sensor adapter and went to town. Sold the engine, my dragon fire pump, and my box and broke even on the deal.

I love the VP trucks but there comes a point where you realize a p7100 is more dependable and the smallest p7100 can out fuel a VP.

My personal opinion is for a 500 horse truck keep it VP but if you plan to go much further and have the means just ppump it. I know it seems like the easy way out to some but my VP truck at 550 hp was a smokey touchy surging mess unless I was really careful. After ppumping I was able to tune it almost smoke free with a s366 and a 5 speed.

I dont know why its just me, but My P-pump is much more enjoyable to drive.... It Lights the charger way faster, not gonna say less smoky, but probably about the same. I will never go back to a pig vp...

FWIW, I was running a scheid lightning pump before my swap, I had around 200k on the pump. It had been rode hard and put up wet... and its still kicking on another truck.

Personally...

Daily driver and street runner I would suggest VP44 for street manners and smoke control. VP44 can be adjusted from the cab at the press of a button or with a quick flash of a programmer. As for street manner the VP44 has dynamic timing and provides much better efficiency for daily drive than a P7100 can.

Track And Strip I would suggest the P pump swap because its true the P7100 does put out more fuel and can be tuned for track conditions.

As a VP owner myself I disagree. A properly tuned p pump will kick the **** out of a daily driven VP. And not to mention it don't cost a fortune when it doesn't start.

Personally...

Daily driver and street runner I would suggest VP44 for street manners and smoke control. VP44 can be adjusted from the cab at the press of a button or with a quick flash of a programmer. As for street manner the VP44 has dynamic timing and provides much better efficiency for daily drive than a P7100 can.

Track And Strip I would suggest the P pump swap because its true the P7100 does put out more fuel and can be tuned for track conditions.

My mileage went up when I converted my 24v. Drove nicer too with more power. It had an II HRVP before the p-pump. In my experience, there was zero cons going to the p-pump aside from the initial investment.

I've not seen many p7100 converted truck making mid 20's for MPG's so I tend to say that VP44 still hold the top for daily drivers. My high mark is 27.2 MPG (GPS corrected). My typical is about 23-24 MPG (GPS Corrected). But again daily driver not race & track here.

azgq2r.jpg

Last edited:
Then your the only SOB in the US that's getting that. Best I have ever had tuning these trucks is 22. And that's driving 62 pissing everyone off on I25.

I've not seen many p7100 converted truck making mid 20's for MPG's so I tend to say that VP44 still hold the top for daily drivers. My high mark is 27.2 MPG (GPS corrected). My typical is about 23-24 MPG (GPS Corrected). But again daily driver not race & track here.

azgq2r.jpg

What's the setup on this vp because I've never heard of a VP getting any where close to that. What was the terrain you were driving to get 27? Fuel only?