Best hot rod pump

As a VP owner myself I disagree. A properly tuned p pump will kick the **** out of a daily driven VP. And not to mention it don't cost a fortune when it doesn't start.

$1000 for a pump every 120k miles is a fortune?

Let's see........ Yep!

80 to 100 bucks for a shutdown soloniod a diode and maybe a relay. That will last 200K or better.

And for the crowd that can't wrench on their trucks that's 1000 bucks plus an avarage 4 hours labor at a decent shop.

Last edited:
$1000 for a pump every 120k miles is a fortune?

Heck I'm going for 188k miles on my VP44 now. I've got 238k on the clock so if I bought one more pump I'll most likely clear 400k miles on the clock. So another $1,100 for 400k miles I think is cheap. By that time my truck will most likely be over 20 years old and time to replace. I'm not the average Cummins owner.

http://www.dieselautopower.com/product-p/sovp44.htm

Heck I'm going for 188k miles on my VP44 now. I've got 238k on the clock so if I bought one more pump I'll most likely clear 400k miles on the clock. So another $1,100 for 400k miles I think is cheap. By that time my truck will most likely be over 20 years old and time to replace. I'm not the average Cummins owner.

http://www.dieselautopower.com/product-p/sovp44.htm

There is no maintenance to prevent the electronics of a VP from going bad. They die when they want to. Ive seen them fry at 50k on bone stock grandpa trucks!

Still waiting for this 27 mpg setup

Last edited:
Let's see........ Yep!

80 to 100 bucks for a shutdown soloniod a diode and maybe a relay. That will last 200K or better.

And for the crowd that can't wrench on their trucks that's 1000 bucks plus an avarage 4 hours labor at a decent shop.

Plus the extra time and money for a fuel system to keep it happy!

If you drive long distances you can see a big jump im mpg. Daily to work 19mpg 44miles round trip. Last winter leon iowa to gifford illinios 25mpg and ended up 23mpg for the whole trip. Drop came from driving back and forth from the hotel and letting the truck warm up.

A set of injectors and a hotrod pump with no electronics on my truck i had a few years ago was just about right. If you get water in your fuel and stick a couple injectors that will take a vp44 out aswell.

There is no maintenance to prevent the electronics of a VP from going bad. They die when they want to. Ive seen them fry at 50k on bone stock grandpa trucks!

Still waiting for this 27 mpg setup

This is the sad true about the vp44 and with all electronic gadgets to come in the future. However, you "could" replace the electronics not the entire pump as a cheaper alternative.

Just my $.02, but maintenance of electronics on the entire truck is often overlooked and circuit boards (vp pump board, ecm, pcm) failures can be somewhat prolonged or preventable. How many people (myself included) test wiring issues or excessive electronic ripple throughout the entire system until an issue comes up.

I have set aside time here and there to check connections, check batteries, alternator currents etc but not nearly enough.

Let's see........ Yep!

You're in the wrong hobby if 1k is breaking the bank. Try buying a set of lb7 or 5.9 cr injectors every 130k lol. On the 4 vp trucks my family has had, we haven't had a single pump go bad. Pretty much any diesel needs an upgraded lift pump aswell. Obviously a bone stock 12v is one of the most reliable engines of all time but if you can't afford to buy a $1000vp what are you going to do when the dodge transmission gives up, the front cover gets cracked from the dowel pin, the 53 block cracks etc... Gotta pay to play.

Best I've seen was 23, hand calculated. Straight interstate, back when i had nothing but an edge juice and exhaust.

I'd say 25 wouldn't be too hard with the right setup and a 2wd truck.

I believe I will be trying a bd. Valley fuel injection hot rod style pump before to long...
Only thing is I won't be able to get apples to apples vs the tired so pump on the car now.

I believe I will be trying a bd. Valley fuel injection hot rod style pump before to long...
Only thing is I won't be able to get apples to apples vs the tired so pump on the car now.

Booo p pump that biotch already Brandon!! I'll even come give ya a hand if needed.

You guys!

Part of this was to do the vp12v. So Zach can see how it worked.

An electronic p pump is in the works.
Right Seth?

The original vp on my truck went over 200k with the stock lift pump. The only reason it died then was running it out of fuel, killing the lift pump and injector pump. My good friend has 160k on his original vp with stock lift pump. Are the more of a gamble than a P-Pump? Obviously. But for the price I'd have had to pay for a 12v truck compared to a VP, or converting to a P, I can buy a few pumps. Plus I like the adjustability for towing, emissions, etc.

A number of guys have actually converted their trucks to p-pump and made money on it. Depends on how good of a salesman you are with the rest of the parts. Obviously, they were buying a complete 12v to rob parts off of, not a kit. Thats the way I'd do it, if I were to do it again.

The original vp on my truck went over 200k with the stock lift pump. The only reason it died then was running it out of fuel, killing the lift pump and injector pump. My good friend has 160k on his original vp with stock lift pump. Are the more of a gamble than a P-Pump? Obviously. But for the price I'd have had to pay for a 12v truck compared to a VP, or converting to a P, I can buy a few pumps. Plus I like the adjustability for towing, emissions, etc.

Thank you Yjay... Exactly my point.

I never said that the P pump doesn't work its just the VP44 is just more user friendly, adjustable and efficient. I still say for absolute racing and performance yes a P-pump is the best way to go but for street manners and efficiency I still say VP44. Like my truck first VP44 died from lack of fuel pressure gauge and dying lift pump.

My ppump 24v was a blast to drive but nothing like a vp with an ez and rv275's.

I always liked driving my sovp trucks , modded ones not so much . Its hard to beat the simple and reliable ppump though