Best hot rod pump

People need to loosen their grips on their VPs...

They are delicate smokey pigs when modified. If you have to spend a grand in a lift pump and fuel pressure gauge just to feel comfortable driving a stock truck then something is wrong.

I am probably going to keep it a VP for now and it looks like the Scheid pump will be going on it. For right now the goal is going to be a 400-450hp tow truck. On the fuel mileage my truck has 4:11's so it averages 13mpg empty and 7-9mpg with a trailer on it. I am thinking the pump may have something to do with fuel mileage because when I bought it it was getting 17mpg mix highway and city. I will p-pump it when ever I buy me a Big Horn dually and turn this one into a toy.

I could spend $200 and be comfortable driving a VP. Having had both, I like the vp. Ppump is great for power but overall driveablility in all conditions the VP gets the win. Starting my ppump in single digit weather with high timing was a *****. Starting my vp was a turn of the key. But as with anything there are certain levels of sacrifice a man is willing to put up with and the older I get the less I'm willing to deal with for my daily driver. I want the thing to start when I turn the key, not have to drive around anything, have instant throttle response, basically drive it and forget it. Can't do that with a hopped up ppump.

^This is a good point. We've had -18* here before, and already this year we've had single digit cold.

I guess VP's start better only when they start though, right? :poke::blahblah1:

I had no trouble starting my ppump 24v last year here in northern indiana and we saw record lows most of winter. To each their own but my truck drove better/cleaner with a p7100 and started fine with 24* of timing.

People need to loosen their grips on their VPs...

They are delicate smokey pigs when modified. If you have to spend a grand in a lift pump and fuel pressure gauge just to feel comfortable driving a stock truck then something is wrong.

:soap:

Could you elaborate on if you are referring to a "hot rod" pump because otherwise :umno:

The only time a vp is a "smokey pig" compared to a p-pump is if you build it to be a "delicate smokey pig". Overfuel, undersized turbo, oversized turbo, incorrect tuning, wrong torque convert setup, lockup speed is too low etc can all occur with a p-pump too.

Don't pick on the vp because it didn't fit into the goals you were seeking, as the platform can support a variety of setups.

:nail:

Mine is anything but smokey. A slow dog? Yes, very much so. 4:11's and a 6-speed light the charger extremely fast. I just hope when I do the pump and 100-150hp injectors and 62mm charger it dosent get too smokey and I can meet my goal of 450-500hp tow truck.

^This is a good point. We've had -18* here before, and already this year we've had single digit cold.

I guess VP's start better only when they start though, right? :poke::blahblah1:

I've started both of my trucks with p-pumps will into -30C without being plugged in, only times they failed to start was when the alternator had died and the batteries were getting low. I also don't run crazy timing, as I know what the weather here can be.

:soap:

Could you elaborate on if you are referring to a "hot rod" pump because otherwise :umno:

The only time a vp is a "smokey pig" compared to a p-pump is if you build it to be a "delicate smokey pig". Overfuel, undersized turbo, oversized turbo, incorrect tuning, wrong torque convert setup, lockup speed is too low etc can all occur with a p-pump too.

Don't pick on the vp because it didn't fit into the goals you were seeking, as the platform can support a variety of setups.

:nail:

Hey I'm here!!!!! I love vp's for whatever reason I can't completely understand... However mine was a smokey SOB. You had to baby my truck to be smoke free. And the best I ever saw out of mine was 18mpg.

I love vp's and I love 12v's... Which would I rather have back?? My vp hands down. To each their own but I love vp's.

So all you guys saying all they do is run super clean and get awesome fuel mileage, I'll call bull.

im with bre on this also...heavily..i mean 26k gross..my combo smokes like fook. empty not so bad....turn the comp box on and the trlr disappears behind ya

but I love mine too..ind inj hrvp..pushing 120k on it...love it

I think it was the injector Rick.. I really do.
Proper injector size and spray angle will do wonders

I think it was the injector Rick.. I really do.
Proper injector size and spray angle will do wonders

I did too Brandon. However I never got around to changing them. I've never cared for DDP but that's what squirrel face put in it. Truck ran great, but was dirty. I had plans to put 7x.012's in it but never did.

I knew I wasn't alone of my VP trucks being smoke machines. I owned 3 of them and every one had different combinations of programmers, injectors, turbos, etc... all were tough to drive without a constant haze accelerating.

Like I said I loved my VP trucks as well. I just happen to love my p7100 trucks much more.

Well the new plan. I just ordered another Industrial hot rod pump after seeing the almost $500 price difference. Also a set of 120 industrial injectors and the 62mm I think that with the cts will put me where I wanna be with this truck for now.

Well the new plan. I just ordered another Industrial hot rod pump after seeing the almost $500 price difference. Also a set of 120 industrial injectors and the 62mm I think that with the cts will put me where I wanna be with this truck for now.

That will be a fun combo for a DD for sure man.

I knew I wasn't alone of my VP trucks being smoke machines. I owned 3 of them and every one had different combinations of programmers, injectors, turbos, etc... all were tough to drive without a constant haze accelerating.

Like I said I loved my VP trucks as well. I just happen to love my p7100 trucks much more.

mine isnt even smokey with my edge on five unless i roll the throttle hard from low rpms. thats with dap 150's and the stock hy35.my smoke is easily controllable with the skinny peddle.however as far as mileage goes the best i get is about 14-15.but i have a 3inch lift and am running 35x12.50's so that doesnt help my case

i had that combo..its gonna smoke alot probly..the 63 68 made mine a 1000 time better with smoke and egt's. i also run a vco inj now instead of the sac's. probly not as fast but i tow alot...heavy..alot...26k heavy...and i just could hardly drive around the turbo with the 62...

anxious to see how yers does

I definitely wasn't thinking about the fact you might be getting an industrial 62mm....

Yeah hopefully you didn't go that route and get one of their big azz turbine 62mm chargers.