best input shaft

An OPIE shaft from Goerend? You sure about that? I don't think Dave uses OPIE's stuff.

I've seen all brands of billet inputs broken.

The only one i haven't seen break yet is OPIE's big billet input, but i don't know how many of them are out there so far. I had one in my 06 and it was strong enough to tear the center out of the convertor without twisting or breaking. :bang

Chris

A member on here broke one of Opies BIG inputs. I cant remember who it was. I know he said he was ONLY around 600Hp maybe.
Opie wouldnt cover it under the warranty, because of the flexplate I think, not sure.

I havent ran any of Opies parts, but I know he has some very NICE parts for sale. If I ever break the shafts in the trans now, I will go to Opies parts.

Last edited:
was it the older 4 hole or the newer 2 hole?

Backwards...

The 4 hole is the new style, the 2 hole has been discontinued. I strive to make all my parts easy to identify from the competition.

The OEM replacement 4 hole is the only shaft with a perfect record todate. They came out in July 2006. FWIW they where just revised again last month.

I just broke the billet input in my 02 (I cant recall brand) Opie over size is next for me.
I have also broken a TCS output shaft @500~ HP:bang
The input let go on a 35psi launch right when the N2o hit. I am VERY hard on the truck so it was a matter of time.

I found out the input I mentioned earlier that Sam broke was the older 2 hole style. I've yet to hear about a 4 hole having problems.

When mine breaks, it's time for Opie !

NOw that's what I heard too,...

An OPIE shaft from Goerend? You sure about that? I don't think Dave uses OPIE's stuff.

The only one i haven't seen break yet is OPIE's big billet input, but i don't know how many of them are out there so far. I had one in my 06 and it was strong enough to tear the center out of the convertor without twisting or breaking. :bang

Chris

that thing must be a Superman shaft. Don't you have to get a different billet drum or whatever to accept the larger shaft?

Opie's shaft

Chris

Doesn't that oversized shaft require so additional parts, i.e. like an oversized drum and anything else? Or did I hear wrong? About what did that mod cost. You can PM me. I may go that way when I get mine freshened although it's running perfect right now. Just nice to know for planning purposes.

Are you the Hawk I've seen at Indy and aren't you the tranny builder? I've heard good things about your work.

Different convertor, modified reaction shaft support.

I have seen the Dimartino setup, and it looks to be a pretty neat piece.

Doesn't that oversized shaft require so additional parts, i.e. like an oversized drum and anything else? Or did I hear wrong? About what did that mod cost. You can PM me. I may go that way when I get mine freshened although it's running perfect right now. Just nice to know for planning purposes.

Are you the Hawk I've seen at Indy and aren't you the tranny builder? I've heard good things about your work.

I think you are talking about Dusty Hawk from HTS. i think they have tried the Opie shafts but I am not sure what luck they have had with them.

I think you are talking about Dusty Hawk from HTS. i think they have tried the Opie shafts but I am not sure what luck they have had with them.

No Sir, HTS hasn't purchased parts from me.

Opie

No Sir, HTS hasn't purchased parts from me.

Can you elaborate on exactly what you need to run your oversized shaft? And if the 4-hole oem style hasn't had a problem then is it really necessary and if not,.. at what hp level do you need to go with the oversized?

Tks.

I've twisted a sonnax and snapped a tcs so far... I believe HTS and Suncoast are working up a fix...

I found out the input I mentioned earlier that Sam broke was the older 2 hole style. I've yet to hear about a 4 hole having problems.

When mine breaks, it's time for Opie !

I believe that the 4 hole is the older of the two. . .Opie please correct me if I am wrong.

Can you elaborate on exactly what you need to run your oversized shaft? And if the 4-hole oem style hasn't had a problem then is it really necessary and if not,.. at what hp level do you need to go with the oversized?

Tks.

A different Pump stator and a modded converter from one of my shaft dealers/trans builders. As for the OEM 4 hole, it's only a matter of time. Several guys continously keep raising their hp and like to tow with that hp as well.

I would recommend the OEM for 750 and below, yes they will hold more but as stated above the hp will increase everytime theres a little extra money.

The Fat shafts came out in July of 2006 as well and new revisions have just been made to them too. They have over a 5 percent failure rate but even with that being said they are the strongest part available and though I have only had them out for a mere 3 years, I keep hearing other company's are now going to introduce their version of it. I don't know why but several guys will post when it does happen that, that company's version is the greatest thing even though the cost is going to be much higher, the ones buying them will basically be guinea pigs and probably get no warrantee either.

FWIW, What most do not know is there are other parts being made/used right now not spoken in the high hp builds as I have grown very tired of being copied. But still very thankful to everyone that runs/sells my products...

A different Pump stator and a modded converter from one of my shaft dealers/trans builders. As for the OEM 4 hole, it's only a matter of time. Several guys continously keep raising their hp and like to tow with that hp as well.

I would recommend the OEM for 750 and below, yes they will hold more but as stated above the hp will increase everytime theres a little extra money.

The Fat shafts came out in July of 2006 as well and new revisions have just been made to them too. They have over a 5 percent failure rate but even with that being said they are the strongest part available and though I have only had them out for a mere 3 years, I keep hearing other company's are now going to introduce their version of it. I don't know why but several guys will post when it does happen that, that company's version is the greatest thing even though the cost is going to be much higher, the ones buying them will basically be guinea pigs and probably get no warrantee either.

FWIW, What most do not know is there are other parts being made/used right now not spoken in the high hp builds as I have grown very tired of being copied. But still very thankful to everyone that runs/sells my products...

Well, you know the old saying....

"Imitation is the Best from of Flattery"

I'm Proud to have Opie parts in my Custum built Garmon's tranny!!!!

Opie's input and intermediate in mine....the 2wd billet output wasn't available yet when my trans was built.
Over 30,000 miles and zero trans issues to date.

Even some Oversea members use Opie billet internals...:rockwoot:

Broken oppie shaft

I broke a Demartino shaft from oppie and he did not warranty it.