Billet 5.9 Rods

Rockin S

I have searched and have not seen what I really want to know about, I want to know if R&R or TTS or Woodruffs or Shieds are that much better then Carrillos? I have seen on here that there has been some failures with Carrillos but they really didnt say what happend and I really want to know before I spend that kind of Money.
So does anyone have any actual proof those are better then Carrillos? I also read the failures were with the standard bolt Carrillos but one person said they called Carrillo and they have never sold one set of the upgraded bolt rods, So I dont know WTH to believe.

I was under their bolts were "use once then throw away" bolts. No confirmation on that.

If I was going to spend money on billets, I don't think it would be Carrillos, just not my preference.

But then now that a certain machining center is up and running, I may not need to buy rods after all. :rockwoot:

We have been running carrillos for a year at 1300+ hp. No problems at all. The bolts have been retorqued a few times also.

I would only think that someone spinning north of 5000 would be concerned about the lower grade rod bolts.

I would only think that someone spinning north of 5000 would be concerned about the lower grade rod bolts.

I disagree.

We lost an engine that stopped making power at 3600rpm, and only ever saw 4100rpm max on the burnout, do to a rod bolt failure, 7/16" ARP custom age 625+ rod bolts.

I disagree.

We lost an engine that stopped making power at 3600rpm, and only ever saw 4100rpm max on the burnout, do to a rod bolt failure, 7/16" ARP custom age 625+ rod bolts.

So what do you use for rod bolts now?

I disagree.

what was approximate hp level

from phone

I disagree.

hmm.....very hard to see that happening. 0 degree rod cap or 45deg offset cap? just curious what makes you say it was the bolts failure?

TTS style R&R's 45 degree offset cap, the rod bolt that looks like it has been pulled apart.

I think there is more to it than is being stated. Stuckey has run the same set of rods and bolts for over 3 seasons without an issue as have others running much higher Hp. While it is not impossible for a bolt to fail just too much information is missing to know what really is going on.

I think there is more to it than is being stated. Stuckey has run the same set of rods and bolts for over 3 seasons without an issue as have others running much higher Hp. While it is not impossible for a bolt to fail just too much information is missing to know what really is going on.

As far as I know there is NO CR cummins out there making more horsepower then us going down the track. Please show me one if you think there is.

Stuckey is not making anymore horsepower then we are. Weight and mph don't lie. They also makes the horsepower at a much higher rpm.

Yes the bolt could have been from a bad batch, or cap walk, or..., however the bolt did fail and it did cost us a good chunk of change. Yes you did offer to have the bolt analyzed, but at this point we aren't doing r&d for someone else at our expense, call us selfish or whatever, but we have spent a lot of time and money getting to this point.

Torrey is going to bring the rod and bolt's and cap tomorrow, I will take some good high res pics of them, and let compd look at it, but that is as far as we will take it, we have already purchased another set of rods and moved on.

As far as I know there is NO CR cummins out there making more horsepower then us going down the track. Please show me one if you think there is.

Stuckey is not making anymore horsepower then we are. Weight and mph don't lie. They also makes the horsepower at a much higher rpm.

Yes the bolt could have been from a bad batch, or cap walk, or..., however the bolt did fail and it did cost us a good chunk of change. Yes you did offer to have the bolt analyzed, but at this point we aren't doing r&d for someone else at our expense, call us selfish or whatever, but we have spent a lot of time and money getting to this point.

Torrey is going to bring the rod and bolt's and cap tomorrow, I will take some good high res pics of them, and let compd look at it, but that is as far as we will take it, we have already purchased another set of rods and moved on.
What set did you get this time?

You did not purchase the rods from TTS yet I still offered to take a look at all the parts so we could determine what happened. You have refused to allow the parts to be looked at, kind sounds like your hiding something. All this was at no cost to you so your not doing any R&D for us or anyone else. Point is they have been run at higher HP than you have made without issues. Something happened that's for sure but without seeing what happened to the parts it's just anyone's guess. Power is power and it takes the same cylinder pressure to make the same power at the same RPM. If your running a CR properly it will be easier on parts due to better fuel control not the other way around. Also why would you think Stuckey is running higher RPM?

Bottomline is that without analyzing the parts involved it's guessing as to WHY it failed and if the bolt failed first or something else caused it. It could have been caused by something you did as well but without analyzing the parts no one will ever know!

TTS style R&R's 45 degree offset cap, the rod bolt that looks like it has been pulled apart.

care to explain how a rod bolt on a 45 offset rod pulls apart? if it did, not saying its not possible, it would have had to happen on the upstroke, and on a boosted motor, its highly unlikely your ever going to turn a diesel hard enough to throw the piston hard enough to TDC to stretch a bolt like that. sounds like the bolt was stretched to far when it was torqued. when something like that happens, try to find out why, not just throw money at something else and say it was the parts fault and their junk. ARP got some of the best quality stuff, and been around way longer than this dinky diesel market IMO. who knows,it is possible maybe you were the unlucky man with the only 2 bad bolts ever made.

Last edited:
...who knows,it is possible maybe you were the unlucky man with the only 2 bad bolts ever made.

Really you have never heard of or seen a failed arp bolt or stud? Only the one failed. I have no issue with ARP and will continue to run their products.

I never said any of this was junk, we have bought 6+ sets of R&R's considering we are not a shop and do not sell pieces for profit, just a private race team, I would say we invested just a little in that...

As a private race team we literary cannot afford to take the chance it was just a bad bolt. When that one bolt takes out: The rod, the monotherm piston, the head, the cam, the block ect... A $450 rod takes out $10,000+

Like I said I will post up some pics of the failed bolt, the other bolt, the rod, and cap. You make it sound like this is my first rodeo. :poke: