Billet 5.9 Rods

You did not purchase the rods from TTS yet I still offered to take a look at all the parts so we could determine what happened. You have refused to allow the parts to be looked at, kind sounds like your hiding something. All this was at no cost to you so your not doing any R&D for us or anyone else. Point is they have been run at higher HP than you have made without issues. Something happened that's for sure but without seeing what happened to the parts it's just anyone's guess. Power is power and it takes the same cylinder pressure to make the same power at the same RPM. If your running a CR properly it will be easier on parts due to better fuel control not the other way around. Also why would you think Stuckey is running higher RPM?

Bottomline is that without analyzing the parts involved it's guessing as to WHY it failed and if the bolt failed first or something else caused it. It could have been caused by something you did as well but without analyzing the parts no one will ever know!

You're correct we didn't purchase the rods from you, however we did purchase them, and ran them until they failed and took out our $$$ engine. So lets just hypothetically say you do find a design issue because of this, and solve it because of this. Would you not say our time and money just did R&D for you?

We don't owe anyone an explanation, as to how we spend private money, or what we do with the results, and to be frank if we send the bolt to anyone it will be back to ARP for them to look at it.

Smarty good fuel control??? Have you actually used one before? No one would purposefully make the sort of torque and run the sort of rpm we were. We spent another big chunk of change this year, in order to get past this. Also with a 12v you have fixed timing, you don't get the massive low end torque.

You make it out like I am knocking your product, when in fact 99.5% of the people with a diesel will never be in the power range to push the boundaries of these rods, and I still recommend them to people all of the time.

Our bottom line: No one makes more horsepower currently in a CR (though JSP will soon change that) and while these rods have lasted forever in other mechanically fueled engines, one failed in a CR, and it failed at the bolt, the rest of the rod is intact, the cap is intact, the piston and pin are intact. The fact that it had a whole season of drag racing and sled pulling on it, makes it hard for me to believe that it was over torqued on install, and it was just that one bolt.

As far as I know there is NO CR cummins out there making more horsepower then us going down the track. Please show me one if you think there is.

Stuckey is not making anymore horsepower then we are. Weight and mph don't lie. They also makes the horsepower at a much higher rpm.

Yes the bolt could have been from a bad batch, or cap walk, or..., however the bolt did fail and it did cost us a good chunk of change. Yes you did offer to have the bolt analyzed, but at this point we aren't doing r&d for someone else at our expense, call us selfish or whatever, but we have spent a lot of time and money getting to this point.

Torrey is going to bring the rod and bolt's and cap tomorrow, I will take some good high res pics of them, and let compd look at it, but that is as far as we will take it, we have already purchased another set of rods and moved on.
I'm sorry, I must have missed where you sunk money in that truck, in your comment "we have spent a lot of money" Torrey has spent a lot of money, Torrey owns the truck and finances 100% of it, I like you but don't take claim to the truck. Torrey deserves that credit, it's his hard earned money.it might be your time, but not your money. And at the end of the day none of us can build trucks without it. glad to see Ragged edge race team getting ready for next season. Get Eric done

Also h&s has pulled more mph than you guys, so I don't think your the highest hp cr, and honestly, only a douchebag would come on compd and claim that

I'm sorry, I must have missed where you sunk money in that truck, in your comment "we have spent a lot of money" Torrey has spent a lot of money, Torrey owns the truck and finances 100% of it, I like you but don't take claim to the truck. Torrey deserves that credit, it's his hard earned money.it might be your time, but not your money. And at the end of the day none of us can build trucks without it. glad to see Ragged edge race team getting ready for next season. Get Eric done

Holy phuck buddy, pretty sure Torrey would have no issue with Brett posting anything on his truck. Looks to be like a team effort to me. With the time he has invested some claim to their success seems pretty reasonable no?

Regardless on rods they went in the right direction.

Currently taking on a load in terminal d sheremetievo Moscow.

I was posting on behalf of the team, hence the "we", Torrey and I are in constant communication while I post, this is not just my feelings or I would have prefaced it with that.

Yes you are 100% correct, I do not have any cash tied up into this truck, nor do I have the financial wherewithal to build one of my own. I am very grateful that Torrey has brought me on board and allowed me the creative freedom with the truck that he has.

Yes we are hard at work, and will be ready to go racing in Mission. Most people won't even recognize the truck, didn't go quite the same route as you did Shawn, but just as drastic.

I just want to clarify one last thing:

This was never meant as a product bash. I know that for 99.9% of the users out there these rods with those bolts will be enough for them, however:

There are a lot of failures in racing and on this board that never are brought to the light of day for better or for worse. Until we posted this failure, as far as I know, no one had ever seen an aftermarket rod fail in a cummins engine of any brand, or at least no one was talking about it. They are now.

Did it fail from improper installation, or from a bad heat treat in a bolt, or from a design issue in the rod? No one can say definitively at this point, but everyone out there now has a little bit more information, how they use that is up to them.

Yes I will still be posting pictures of the failure, it will either be tonight or tomorrow morning.

You're correct we didn't purchase the rods from you, however we did purchase them, and ran them until they failed and took out our $$$ engine. So lets just hypothetically say you do find a design issue because of this, and solve it because of this. Would you not say our time and money just did R&D for you?

We don't owe anyone an explanation, as to how we spend private money, or what we do with the results, and to be frank if we send the bolt to anyone it will be back to ARP for them to look at it.

Smarty good fuel control??? Have you actually used one before? No one would purposefully make the sort of torque and run the sort of rpm we were. We spent another big chunk of change this year, in order to get past this. Also with a 12v you have fixed timing, you don't get the massive low end torque.

You make it out like I am knocking your product, when in fact 99.5% of the people with a diesel will never be in the power range to push the boundaries of these rods, and I still recommend them to people all of the time.

Our bottom line: No one makes more horsepower currently in a CR (though JSP will soon change that) and while these rods have lasted forever in other mechanically fueled engines, one failed in a CR, and it failed at the bolt, the rest of the rod is intact, the cap is intact, the piston and pin are intact. The fact that it had a whole season of drag racing and sled pulling on it, makes it hard for me to believe that it was over torqued on install, and it was just that one bolt.

While all that's well and good without finding out what caused the problem, you can very well repeat it. To blame the rod or the bolt as the cause of the failure without investigating it, is just the blind leading the blind around. So our time and testing was offered for free to figure out what the cause was. So I guess our time and money isn't worth anything by the way you describe it here! If it turned out to be a bolt problem then you would know it just the same as if it turned out to be installer error or another failure that caused it. In any case you chose not to want to learn and that's your choice.

...In any case you chose not to want to learn and that's your choice.

Or we just chose to learn with someone else. To insinuate our ignorance with that statement is a rather low blow.

Don't take this the wrong way as I don't know you Steve, just your online persona, it really is not meant as a shot at your integrity. However when this rod is analyzed, it will be by an independent party, with nothing to gain or loose in the outcome.

While all that's well and good without finding out what caused the problem, you can very well repeat it. To blame the rod or the bolt as the cause of the failure without investigating it, is just the blind leading the blind around. So our time and testing was offered for free to figure out what the cause was. So I guess our time and money isn't worth anything by the way you describe it here! If it turned out to be a bolt problem then you would know it just the same as if it turned out to be installer error or another failure that caused it. In any case you chose not to want to learn and that's your choice.

Not to be a douche, but guess what. Torrey bought the product, when it fails...he will decide what to do with it. You seem to have a very vested interest in this, and seem to be miffed because they turned down your offer. Guess what.....get over it. They will learn what failed. Just not from you.

Not to be a douche, but guess what. Torrey bought the product, when it fails...he will decide what to do with it. You seem to have a very vested interest in this, and seem to be miffed because they turned down your offer. Guess what.....get over it. They will learn what failed. Just not from you.

He should be concerned with why his rods failed. If he didn't give a sh!t, that would make him a pretty poor business owner. It doesn't seem like Brett meant anything negative about his product, but from a business owners stand point I'd be pretty pissed if someone went around telling people they had broke one of my products but refused to let me see it, make it right, or even see if it was a legitament failure. After all everyone's human and anyone can make a mistake.

So, Can someone tell me why Sheids requires you to buy their coated heavy duty rist pins with their Billet Rods? I mean How much more heavy duty can a rist pin be? Solid?
What If Im running MonoTherms? They have their own special rist pin so having to buy the Sheids special ones would be a waste of Money.

As promised here are the pics:

016_zpsd0f7c625.jpg

015_zpsbfcfa709.jpg

014_zps0008aae7.jpg

013_zps71efc81f.jpg

017_zpsde800866.jpg

018_zps7d86aab7.jpg

023_zpsbfc6e5bf.jpg

022_zps41a8b97b.jpg

020_zps5a1c0676.jpg

019_zps6be6c7c3.jpg

025_zps00c9c625.jpg

A big thanks to my understanding wife that let me use her kitchen for better lighting to take the pics.

That's a nice looking $1000 paperweight you have there...

Funny thing, that is exactly what I told Torrey to do with it when we pulled it out.

I will sell the other five good ones with the attached monotherms for $3000. Any hot 4bt's out there?