Bosch H Series Inline Pump Dynamic Timing

The gov does not control the timing rack. It only controls the fuel rack. Put an automotive gov on it and you're one step closer to simplicity. The actuator on the side of the H-pump is what controls timing. The timing rack pivots to move the barrels up and down on the plunger to change fill port location in relation to the plunger helix. To contol timing precisely you will need an ecu that takes crank and cam rpm and boost into calculation for timing.

I will bet you a year's pay that the actuator for timing is in the governor case... did you not watch the video? That actuator on the driver's side is the fuel shutoff. The actuator on top of the governor with four bolts holding it that face upward is the timing actuator.

I'm already making my own ECU.

Haven't really had any real progress, just ideas.. I'm thinking of eventually using another chipkit to control the body.. Power locks, remotes, etc and incorporating remote start/climate control prep into it.. We will see.

On a side note I had an idea yesterday that could revolutionize compound turbocharger setups.. Posting that in a different thread to hopefully get some feedback or other ideas.

Another update.. After some consideration it looks like I'm going to need an external gate despite the vgt turbo because with the housing fully open as a single I still hit 40 psi of boost. This may or may not be because the 6.0L breathes better than the 5.9 but if I decide to twin its still going to need more flow. That said I've incorporated electronic wastegate functions into the program. It needs a bit of reorganization before seeing a code release but I'm getting closer and closer.

So I reorganized the timing and main fuel injection parts. It was on paper though. As soon as I get a chance to type it up I'll post it. It's going to limit fuel based on maf but request maf when requested fuel approaches its limit. Timing compensates for rpm, fuel rate, engine temp, and mass airflow with a feature that will retard timing slightly when spooling up the turbo.

Vgt control will request a certain boost pressure depending on maf conditions. More to come.

Ok, after running some numbers, with a GOOD port and polished head (thinking of getting a Hamilton head), cam, maybe some aftermarket rockers, it looks like the GT4082V (my 6.0 vgt) paired with a GTX4508 should meet my airflow goals of 85-100 lb/min at 3600 rpm (trying to meet 600 hp at a 22:1 AFR), while still being spoolable at around 1500 (looking for 300hp here).

Keep in mind with variable timing we can retard during low rpm/spoolup to throw some heat at it, combined with VGT should make for good spoolup.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I found a 63mm billet upgraded wheel to replace the original wheel of the 6.0l turbo.

Yep, I got your PM... After doing some reading on compressor wheels it looks like increasing only the inducer would increase flow capability without much increase in pressure ratio. Kinda a step in the wrong direction, looking at the GT4082 compressor map. Anyone have any correction to this?

It stated you had to machine the backing plate as well, so I took that as increasing the exducer as well as the inducer.

Just double checked.

Stock
56/82
New
63/88

Not exact specs, just rounded them up.

It also has ETT and smaller hub with a more aggressive blade pitch.

Last edited:
It stated you had to machine the backing plate as well, so I took that as increasing the exducer as well as the inducer.

Just double checked.

Stock
56/82
New
63/88

Not exact specs, just rounded them up.

It also has ETT and smaller hub with a more aggressive blade pitch.

Must not have seen that part. I'll keep it in mind. Just as an fyi, stock is 58/82.

What is ETT?

Last edited:
Yeah it was a typo, could only edit my post once. So your only shooting for 300hp?

Lol, I already have 300hp now with the p pump. Looking for a clean 300hp by 1500 rpm with a peak of 600hp. Clean power, good throttle response. I'm about to update my current vgt program in an attempt to improve vgt response.

I'm really interested to see what you come up with on this. Might convince me to use my Cummins for something other than holding down the shop floor.

Back